DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Cooling after shut off

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Corvette
Engine: 415
Transmission: six speed
Axle/Gears: Dana44 3.73
Cooling after shut off

Hi all

i want to make "after shut off cooling curcuit"..or however this is called

so, i want to run a small electric pump in the a/C heater curcuit and one fan, until the coolant temperature is down to 180F (where my thermostat closes anyways)

the background is.. a friend of mine runs a Chevy pickup (modified) and also have this setup in it...

its amazing, how often this pump and the fan come on, after he shutted of the engine...

so, it seems, its a good amount of heat, that moves to the heads after shut down...

my question, is there a switch( on/off) available, that tuns on, at lets say 190F and off at 180, or sth in that ballpark?

a 3/8" threading would be the icing on the cake, since i have a spare hole in the cylinder head..

thank you

PS: heres a bit of background

the Audi 5000 turbo uses such a small electric pump to circulate coolant after shut off...ok, its also for the water cooled turbocharger, but also for the head...

now, lets compare..

the Audi cylinder head is small compared to an chevy head, and very small compared to the combination head-intake-head on a chevy...
álso, when you shut off the engine, the heat goes upwards in the head, the block contracts, the head-intake combo expands...

also, i´ve talked with some people that really know this Audi cars, and the say, this pump curcuit is very very important to avoid cracks between the valves in the cylinder head...now, compare the distance between the valves in the Audi head vs a Chevy perfomance head...

the Audi head have much more meat between the valves...

also, a lot of newer cars utilize this pumps...just for fun?? Don´t think so..

also, these pumps dont run when car is running..only, when shut off...

opinions are welcome!!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break
You could do this in the software since you run $8D (Will take some time to do) There is a timer for shutdown that might be able to be extended longer to keep the ECM running and put some logic in there to energize an unused output. Use the existing temp sensor to monitor the process.
or...
you could run a std 2nd fan switch (find one with the temp range you want) and connect it through an "off delay" timer to engage whatever pump fan you want for a preset length of time. The relay would reset when the car is running if powered from the right place where only on with ignition.
Having the temp switch will enable disable if temps are low enough and the timer will keep from over doing it and killing the battery. Pumps and fans are great when the car is running but the battery power can be sucked up rather quickly.
Couple that with a pre-oiling accumulator and a solenoid for startup and your motor will be really happy
Old 11-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
The turbo is probably the main driving factor. They get HOT during hard use, and people never follow directions.

The easy way is just to let the engine idle for a minute or two before shut down so it has a chance to cool. Once the fan kicks off, shut down the motor and you'll avoid alot of the heat soak.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
If you want to run the pump after shut-off then install a "turbo timer" to control the fan instead of engine run-on after key off.

Diesel equipment turbos have survived for years without water cooling. These engines are typically not started and stopped like a car would be. They also sport the "idle for X minutes" before shutdown. Most driver's don't even know why they are supposed to idle before shutdown.

Water cooled turbos became popular in the eighties for the cars. This helped with the shutdown temps. You can actually hear the coolant circulate through the turbos after shutdown sometimes without a pump. A pump makes the circulation even better. It is the 21th century and things have gotten better.

The most simple commercial solution is a turbo timer. Second is a cheaper custom built circuit. Third is free and accomplished by code changes but is the most difficult.