DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

I'm working on an EPROM emulator...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm working on an EPROM emulator...

So I'm working on an EPROM emulator that piggybacks the calpak and allows the user to modify table entries on the fly. Multiple calibrations will also be supported. The unit will be accessed through a serial port from a laptop. Once I get this thing working, I'm thinking about selling these things.
I'm just trying to get a feel for how much demand there may be for something like this. I'm still in the very early stages, and haven't made up my mind about the software interface yet. At the very beginning, I suppose you'll just have to supply an entire .bin file, modified with your favorite .bin editor.
Does anyone have any thoughts? Anyone in the Denver area want to help me out in the future (next summer) by testing one in his/her car?
-Jason
Old 12-06-2001, 08:05 PM

if you could pull off a dual interface program, with an editor, and a scanner in one, so the computer info could be read in real time with the e-prom changes, I would definately be game for that kind of system. I was thinking about the same thing yesterday, only I was thinking an emulation/editor package for WinCE, to keep it compact, and since I have the 160 baud sys, use WinALDL through my laptop. Only I don't have the programming knowhow to pull off something like that off... yet.

Anthony

------------------
previous ride: 87 Camaro LT
350, A4.Comp Cams 268H, Edelbrock Preformer intake, Hedman Headers and y-pipe, gutted cat, No AIR/smog pump. 14x3" Open element K&N, Q-jet w/ D hanger and DA rods, adjusted AV spring tension and quick can.

Current ride: 1992 Camaro RS, K&N, Flowmaster, 305, T5, Black, T-tops, 84k miles.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:12 PM

Car: 82 Corvette
Engine: 350 CrossFire
Transmission: 700R4
Jason, I'm also working on one, but I'm going through the parallel port since most of the ALDL reading software goes through the serial port. Send me an e-mail if you're interested...

Ken
Old 12-06-2001, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Bee-Bowdy
Engine: blowd tree-fity
Transmission: sebin hunnerd
Axle/Gears: fo-tins
I'll buy one if you can make one for the 7747 ECM.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:36 PM

Here is your competition. Someone here had problems with it but it sounds like they got their issues worked out... $90.00

http://xtronics.com/memory/EPROM.htm#Emulator

[This message has been edited by Dan W (edited December 06, 2001).]
Old 12-06-2001, 10:36 PM

Car: 82 Corvette
Engine: 350 CrossFire
Transmission: 700R4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan W:
Here is your competition. Someone here had problems with it but it sounds like they got their issues worked out... $90.00</font>
That's $90 + a Pocket Programmer, roughly $150. That's $240 together.

What I'm proposing replaces the programmer completely, runs off the parallel port so you can read ALDL data on the serial port simultaneously, and is a permanent installation that requires no battery backup whatsoever. It completely replaces the EPROM, forever - it sits inside the ECM so there's plenty of shielding. Hopefully price will be under/around $150. So far my main design centers around the 2732A/TBI ECM's.

Ken
Old 12-06-2001, 11:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blue72:
So I'm working on an EPROM emulator that piggybacks the calpak and allows the user to modify table entries on the fly. Multiple calibrations will also be supported. The unit will be accessed through a serial port from a laptop. Once I get this thing working, I'm thinking about selling these things.
I'm just trying to get a feel for how much demand there may be for something like this. I'm still in the very early stages, and haven't made up my mind about the software interface yet. At the very beginning, I suppose you'll just have to supply an entire .bin file, modified with your favorite .bin editor.
Does anyone have any thoughts? Anyone in the Denver area want to help me out in the future (next summer) by testing one in his/her car?
-Jason
</font>
I'd strongly advise running the begibbers out of something like this on an ecm bench before anyone tries it on a car. Having an IAC, fuel or spark table miss read in traffic can be at least dangerous if not lethal. What can be fine at one temp might go silly at another.
BTDT

Old 12-07-2001, 10:17 AM

http://www.spiritone.com/~eoa/Cars/EFI/Emulator.htm
Eric has been working on his for quite some time now & I am not sure if he got it running or not. You might try looking him up & finding out where he is @ with it.

http://www.r71camaro.homestead.com/Emulator.html
or if anyone is interested, I got one working,although it is not an all-in-one like you are trying to do.

I would agree with Grumpy, about the taking it slowly thing. with the emulator you get moving so fast you dont remember where you were or where you are headed & make changes for the sake of making changes.

my.02
BW
Old 12-08-2001, 05:27 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blue72:
I'm just trying to get a feel for how much demand there may be for something like this.</font>
I be interested...

Price sounds right...