DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Could this be cause of my modded TDF or PP (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could this be cause of my modded TDF or PP (long)

'730 ECM in an '85. The conversion was successfully done a few months ago and I was using a modded Vette bin that was running nicely except for the EOT (Engine oil temp) code.

I got the free trial for the TDF editor. Use the ANHT hack to locate the error code and make a new TDF. Everything looks OK and the new TDF allows me to toggle the code. Here is the problem.

I burn a chip, put it in-fans come on...limp home I assume. Take the prom out, put the original chip back in. No prob. That chip had been burned with a PP on Win 95. The new chip on Win 98 with a new computer. Burn different chip with the EOT delete and same thing-limp home mode.

Take both newly burned chips out. Erase them for sufficient amt of time (27C256) (both are new chips, so erase time I'm using is 10 on one and 15 min on other, although they erase sooner than that). Load up the BIN and still get limp home mode. Boot to DOS to run PP (I don't think it actually booted to a fresh startup). Same prob with limp mode.

I went through PP archives on here and after making a DOS boot disk, run their program. Same problem.

Did modding the TC TDF not account for something, like the checksum? Is it still a problem with the PP on the new computer? I know I am introducing too many variables by using a New OS and 2 chips that I haven't gotten to work OK, but I am trying to work with what I have. URGH! Ideas? -Matt-

[This message has been edited by HighHopes85 (edited December 01, 2001).]
Old 12-01-2001, 04:45 PM

Car: 78 Regal
Engine: 82 FBod LG4 305, 730 ECM
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Are you getting any codes? It may have a 51 which is a prom code. Sounds like you have bad proms as there seems to be a high error rate from bad batches at times.
Old 12-01-2001, 04:58 PM

When I put the prom in and the ECM starts to pout like this, no codes can be pulled. Can't link with scanner either, which I expect to be *normal* when in Limp Home Mode.

Thanks for the suggestion thoguh. -Matt-
Old 12-01-2001, 06:30 PM

Matt, sounds like you're having fun - and I'm sure you already thought of this - but here goes anyway:

FWIW, to isolate the problem, copy the chip that works into the new computer rig - then burn a copy of the working bin to a new chip ('Chip X').

If 'Chip X' works in the car, the problem is the new tdf; if not it's the new computer rig or the chip - got any other chips around from a different batch?

If you really get stuck, e-mail me the bin you are trying to make work, I can put it on one of my known good chips and snail-mail it to you. I know my rig works & you can return the chip later.

good luck
drj

Old 12-03-2001, 06:28 PM

Well, maybe I was just incompetent at making a boot disk. I had a buddy who knew nothing about prom burning but everything about computers make one for me. After he made it, I fired up everything and it worked. That was possibly the problem. I had been setting up my boot disk to run in combo with a zip that had all my bins on it. I am just going to stick with the floppy and harddrive from now on.

Thanks for stepping me in the right direction. Regards, -Matt-