DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Help me decipher values from WinALDL, please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 406 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
Help me decipher values from WinALDL, please!

I'm a newbie at this stuff. I've got a stock 92 RS (305 TBI), and I am just experimenting with this stuff right now. I got my ALDL cable working, and a Laptop to run WinALDL on, and I got some data. I went up an down a road a few times with varying speeds (normal driving, WOT, etc) and I collected some data. Can someone give me a basic explanation of what I should see for the BLM, INT, and O2 tables? I have search the archives, and came to the conclusion that the ideal value for BLM and INT is 128, is that correct? Why would the values be anything other than that? Also, I noticed that my TPS value never went above 96.3%, even though I was at WOT a few times, could it be out of adjustment, or could the sensor just be not calibrated correctly? Sorry for all the newbie questions. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2001, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Corvette
Engine: 350 CrossFire
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scott_92RS:
I have ... came to the conclusion that the ideal value for BLM and INT is 128, is that correct?</font>
Correct.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why would the values be anything other than that?</font>
Anything lower is rich, anything higher is lean. This number represents how much correction had to be made to get it closer to the proper A/F ratio.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also, I noticed that my TPS value never went above 96.3%, even though I was at WOT a few times, could it be out of adjustment, or could the sensor just be not calibrated correctly?</font>
The newest version (not released yet, still in testing) has an adjustable range for the TPS, so you can change what 0% and 100% values are. (i.e. 0% = .53v, and 100% = 4.6v)

The INT and BLM tables were designed to directly coordinate with TunerCat - someone actually made an Excel sheet where you copy your current TunerCat fuel table in, then the data from a saved WinALDL session, and it calculates the new values for you, which you can just paste directly into TunerCat.

Ken
Old 11-21-2001, 05:58 PM

Car: 1984 Corvette
Engine: Turbo 350
Transmission: 4L80E with TCI T-Com
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ken73:
The newest version (not released yet, still in testing) has an adjustable range for the TPS, so you can change what 0% and 100% values are. (i.e. 0% = .53v, and 100% = 4.6v)
[/B]</font>
It is released now!

------------------
Jonas Bylund
Old 11-21-2001, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Bee-Bowdy
Engine: blowd tree-fity
Transmission: sebin hunnerd
Axle/Gears: fo-tins
Hey Ken73, hows that WinBin ECU file coming along?
Old 11-21-2001, 06:59 PM

I added a few things here and there.. trying to incorporate the lean cruise mode in it also. Most of the stuff in the latest release of WinBin is done, just a few minor things like some bit type options that I mentioned. Others didn't seem worth bothering with, really. (Things you'd probably never tune, or may not even use, such as EGR components.)

Ken
Old 11-22-2001, 09:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 406 Stealth Ram
I'm still very confusd with the BLM and INT stuff. Ken73, where in Houston do you live? I think I would learn a whole lot more if someone who knows about this stuff pointed it out to me. I have BLM values ranging from 119 to 130, and INT values ranging from 122 to 139. In an ideal situation, would all of these values be 128? How come they arent at 128, and how can I get them there? Once again, sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2001, 02:04 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scott_92RS:
I'm still very confusd with the BLM and INT stuff. Ken73, where in Houston do you live? I think I would learn a whole lot more if someone who knows about this stuff pointed it out to me. I have BLM values ranging from 119 to 130, and INT values ranging from 122 to 139. In an ideal situation, would all of these values be 128? How come they arent at 128, and how can I get them there? Once again, sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks again!</font>
I live in NW Houston - 1960/249 area. (Almost to Tomball.)

I can explain it somewhat, but others may want to chime in and correct me. Basically, you have a chart in TunerCat (which is what modifies your chip values) that matches the ones you have in WinALDL. (This was designed into WinALDL this way on purpose, to make this tuning easier.) This chart has fuel values in it; the engine uses them but uses the O2 sensor to see if the value in the chip is correct or not. If it's correct, and the ECM is using the right amount of fuel, the BLM in the WinALDL chart should be 128 (or extremely close to it.)

BLM is the long-term correction factor, according to the O2 sensor.

If the BLM is *above* 128, it means the value in the chip is too LOW (meaning it's running LEAN, but the computer corrects for that, somewhat.)

If the BLM is *below* 128, it means the vlaue in the chip is too HIGH (meaning it's running RICH, but the computer corrects for that, also.)

Generally, values below 108 aren't corrected for as well - so if you get a chart full of 108's, the best bet is to lower your BPW (base pulse width.) If your values are all close to 160, then you should *raise* your BPW, respectively. Mind you, you should only change the BPW if *ALL* the BLM values you get are too high or too low. (You will see some exact 128.0's in WinALDL during full throttle conditions, you can ignore these.)

Usually, an exact 128.0 value nearer the higher RPM and kPA values means it's gone into open loop (the O2 sensor isn't being referenced) and you should discard that value for tuning purposes.

Of course, you need to be careful leaning things out - only drop values a little bit at a time. Running too lean can cause some serious damage.

Does that help?

Ken