DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Fuel Injection Basics - 1999 Special Interest Publication

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Fuel Injection Basics - 1999 Special Interest Publication

Anybody have the publication? I just finished reading it for the 2nd time but this time I understood every word. It's a great feeling. The whole publication is about EFI.
They go into detail about every EFI system designed. Best part is it's articles from Hot Rod, Car Craft, Chevy High Performance, and Mustang & Fords. The purpose is to show all the different price ranges and options that are involved. They explain how MAF, speed density, Alpha N systems work. How TPI needs tuned runners because it was designed for a 305, how the injectors are controlled, wet flow vs dry flow, carb power vs EFI, they even have cars showing the setups.
For anybody that wants some good reading, pick this up. I'm going to try and call up Petersen Publishing Company to see if they'll let me scan it indo a pdf file. Does anybody know what kind of permissions I'll need? I'm not making any money off of it so is it legal for me to just scan it as long as I keep the credits and copyright laws?
There are few publications that I can actually read every word, this was one of them.

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI!)
91 Red My website
Old 10-24-2001, 07:04 PM

Call Petersen berofre you do ANYTHING on a public forurm. No lasuits necessary.

I might go to Amazon to order it now...
Old 10-24-2001, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JPrevost:
Anybody have the publication? I just finished reading it for the 2nd time but this time I understood every word. It's a great feeling. The whole publication is about EFI.
They go into detail about every EFI system designed. Best part is it's articles from Hot Rod, Car Craft, Chevy High Performance, and Mustang & Fords. The purpose is to show all the different price ranges and options that are involved. They explain how MAF, speed density, Alpha N systems work. How TPI needs tuned runners because it was designed for a 305, how the injectors are controlled, wet flow vs dry flow, carb power vs EFI, they even have cars showing the setups.
For anybody that wants some good reading, pick this up. I'm going to try and call up Petersen Publishing Company to see if they'll let me scan it indo a pdf file. Does anybody know what kind of permissions I'll need? I'm not making any money off of it so is it legal for me to just scan it as long as I keep the credits and copyright laws?
There are few publications that I can actually read every word, this was one of them.
</font>
Just remember the car mag writers are journalists and just report what's told to them. So thye just write anything, with no need want or desire for the info to actually be meaningful. Toss in all the stuff they do is with donated parts.
Mags, are only slightly better then the comics. Oh, and teh GM tech schools reduce thing to a point where everyone can grasp a general idea of whats going on.

Great to get the info., but temper it as being true to YOU verify that the stuff works.

Old 10-24-2001, 09:35 PM

Grumpy, you read it?
I've read ASE books, me and my friend always go to B&N when we get together and buy a book. He's got a library of the small block chevy stuff. I'm more interested in the EFI than the actual crank built method.
I've read a bunch of efi books and they are good but they're usually from a limited view. I don't like that because everyone knows Lingenfelter plays with expensive toys like LT5's! This publishing has input from many sources and when I say it's good reads I'm not talking for simpletons.
It talks about 10 deadly EFI sins like running lean or timing off etc. They even describe the knock retard in good detail.
Heck, they even do a TBI to Edelbrock MPFI swap in the back!
Oh yeah, and they even describe in detail how the GM computers lean with the integrator and the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio...yadda yadda. They have 4 huge paragraphs just explaining it!
They talk about injector flow rates and fuel pressure. There is also a picture and short description of a truck TBI getting a vortech supercharger kit installed by some company.
The company listins and magazine titles alone tell me that this is soom good ****.
If it isn't all accurate you'll pick up on it after reading a few other descriptions from other professionals and experts. I have yet to see any major conflicting ideas, just a few opinions on which "route" one should take to go to EFI. Some say stock computer, others say aftermarket. Most agree that the OEM ecm is the best all around because it's design was to be accurate from the factory. Most aftermarket systems seem to be pretty hard to get good emissions readings and not until you speend $$$ do you get the options like closed loop and program with a laptop (cheaper analog models use dials). They have sources up the wazoo so for $5.00 I recommend it to everybody.

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI!)
91 Red My website

[This message has been edited by JPrevost (edited October 24, 2001).]
Old 10-31-2001, 05:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700 R4
I tried to locate this book with no luck, could i get more info?
Did four searches.

thanks

[This message has been edited by 88tbi4x4 (edited November 05, 2001).]
Old 11-06-2001, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700 R4
I AM interested in getting a copy of this book and can't locate.

HELP PLEASE ... Thanx
Old 11-06-2001, 03:01 PM

It was printed in 1999
Fuel Injection Basics (3538-5)
Petersen Publishing Company, L.L.C.
They're an EMAP Petersen Company. EMAP is Chevy High Performance magazine, Car Craft, Hot Rod, Mustang and Fords, etc.
The only phone number (that isn't for advertising sales) is (323)782-2880
Ask them where you could obtain a copy.
AH...here is a phone number to order direct missed newsstand issues: 1-800-544-6748