DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

First successful chip! Questions inside, of course!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 08:07 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '89 GMC Pickup
Engine: 383 SBC Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4/VIG 3200
First successful chip! Questions inside, of course!

I have successfully programed a AMU GM chip with the ARAP bin file. Now I'm ready to ask questions. First, I'm running all ‘88 TPI electronics, 165ECM, wiring, etc., with MAF. The engine is a 383, with .495/.502 cam and TFS 23 degree aluminum heads. 30lb Ford injectors, Accel intake with SLP runners.

1) I'm using an old B&C Microsystems programmer and Winbin and although it programmed the 27c128 fine at 21v , it can't seem to save it, or any other ones such as my original AKXY or Hyperchip to a file.

2) The first time I programmed a chip and the burner said it was successful, I put it in and it started right up. But, on a couple of other restarts the injectors must have came on and stayed on after the key was turned to on until the fuel pressure bled down to almost zero. Almost never got it started again it was so flooded! I'm thinking maybe I didn't have the chip erased good enough? Any thoughts on this?

3) I set my fan temps, (that works perfect), idle vs temps, (that works good) and injectors to 30lb.
When I drove the first 10 miles at highway speeds BLM's were between 122-130. Most of the time 126-128. This is good, right? But after about 10 miles the BLM's went to 144 almost instantly. Is this "highway mode" possibly?

4) Even after I got back in town it seemed the BLM's indicated I was lean ranging from 136-144. Could this be the O2 sensor cleaning itself up from running stinking rich for the last few weeks?

I also set the max timing to 38 and according to the scanner it never reads above that.

Well, if you got this far I'll wait for some answer to these questions before I ask more.

Ah, just one more. My TCC doesn't lock up, hasn't for 7 years. But the scanner indicates with this chip that it is ON all the time.

Thanks in advance,

------------------
_ ___ _
SMasterson
Old 10-13-2001, 06:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '89 GMC Pickup
Engine: 383 SBC Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4/VIG 3200
Well, I guess I asked too many questions. How about this, do most of you tune the chip with or without the fuel pressure regulator hooked up?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SMasterson:
I have successfully programed a AMU GM chip with the ARAP bin file. Now I'm ready to ask questions. First, I'm running all ‘88 TPI electronics, 165ECM, wiring, etc., with MAF. The engine is a 383, with .495/.502 cam and TFS 23 degree aluminum heads. 30lb Ford injectors, Accel intake with SLP runners.

1) I'm using an old B&C Microsystems programmer and Winbin and although it programmed the 27c128 fine at 21v , it can't seem to save it, or any other ones such as my original AKXY or Hyperchip to a file.

2) The first time I programmed a chip and the burner said it was successful, I put it in and it started right up. But, on a couple of other restarts the injectors must have came on and stayed on after the key was turned to on until the fuel pressure bled down to almost zero. Almost never got it started again it was so flooded! I'm thinking maybe I didn't have the chip erased good enough? Any thoughts on this?

3) I set my fan temps, (that works perfect), idle vs temps, (that works good) and injectors to 30lb.
When I drove the first 10 miles at highway speeds BLM's were between 122-130. Most of the time 126-128. This is good, right? But after about 10 miles the BLM's went to 144 almost instantly. Is this "highway mode" possibly?

4) Even after I got back in town it seemed the BLM's indicated I was lean ranging from 136-144. Could this be the O2 sensor cleaning itself up from running stinking rich for the last few weeks?

I also set the max timing to 38 and according to the scanner it never reads above that.

Well, if you got this far I'll wait for some answer to these questions before I ask more.

Ah, just one more. My TCC doesn't lock up, hasn't for 7 years. But the scanner indicates with this chip that it is ON all the time.

Thanks in advance,

</font>

------------------
_ ___ _
SMasterson
Old 10-15-2001, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tune with the FPR hooked up. Im not sure if thats good or not, but its how I plan on driving the car so thats how I have it.

As for your BLMs shooting up after 10 minutes of driving, I can only guess that its a temperature thing. Do you have anything like spark or fuel set to vary based on temp? That might be it. I usually wait until my temp gauge is at 160 (160 stat) before I record anything.

Im fairly new to tuning (2 months, way too many chips burned learning new things), so I can't really help you on specifics. I know I had to turn off my EGR and I got rid of all the spark retard based on coolant temp and MAP, along with some other areas that ive now forgotten.

Also, if a chip doesn't erase all the way, it shouldn't let you write to it. Thats been my finding anyway. I don't know what would cause your restart problem.