DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Software choices... Prom burner opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001 | 10:03 PM

Software choices... Prom burner opinions...

Ok, Im just getting started. I know you guys hear that to many times a day to count, and usually brush us newbies off because we CAN run searchs as many of these questions have been answered before. However, Ive found that more often than not, if I post in here Ill get a much better response than sifting through a billion different posts about different Maf setups etc.... That said let me ask this...

My setup is in my signature below. I have built this motor myself, and now evidently must burn the chip myself also (no good local guys I want this to get done right) So Im gonna need a really good scan tool, I know there is Ease and Diacom, but are there anything cheaper that will WORK for what I need.... This motor has not even 200 miles on it, and is running poorly. The cam and longer stroke just plain doesnt work with the Speed Density setup of my 90. So ill learn how to do all this, but I need to buy the equipment. First off a good scan tool. I have a laptop and I know my computers faster than most so what should I get.... What all can these programs even tell me? Fuel Pressure? Timing? Knock Temps theres so much I want to know about my car (and so much Im gonna have to LEARN) That Im curious what I should look for in a program given the complexity of my motor setup. Im gonna also need a burner and eraser. What should I buy here? Im looking for more than just the one opinion offered in the tech tips here, but is Pocket Programmer the live by die by choice? I've got no clue on erasers, I thought I was reading somewhere you might not even need one with certain programmers (???) Anyway Ill appreciate any help anyone can offer, I hope you guys are willing to help
Paul
BTW Corvette Forum.com is the greatest tech forum on the planet for Corvette specific Questions....
Old 10-04-2001 | 08:55 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
I strongly encourage you to start reading the older posts starting with the oldest to the most recent. There is a LOT of good information in those older posts and some excellent discussions on questions you have never thought of.
Old 10-05-2001 | 07:13 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 HSR $8D
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Click the little thing at the top that says 'search' ...do a search for P730 as was previously selected...I clicked for it to search only in the DIY database...and in the subject only...up popped like 5 different posts on different levels of tuning your ECM/chip...which is a 730 ecm...

Next, tuners...I have had good luck with my xtronics Pocket Programmer...no complaints whatsoever...and I see they have updated it to a Pocket Programmer II...I have a DAtaerase prom eraser from DigiKey...works great...I have tunercat...it works wonderful...

There are other things out there....but what I have is working well for me.

Craig Moate's software will do what you need...it's free. Get the AKM cable...I have met Andrew...nice guy...his cable worked great for me...

I have heard bad things about Diacom...mainly that the customer service is non-existant...but that may have changed.

Once again...good luck,

------------------
GregF
87 IROC