DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

AT29C256, somebody help before I friggin loose it

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
AT29C256, somebody help before I friggin loose it

OK, I have two AT29C256 chips, and I never could get them to burn w/ my Gateway, Pentium III computer and I knew that alot of people were having problems w/ different computers, so now I have an NEC laptop (older Pentium), I'm using fileprom.exe from DOS, and it says its programmed, but when I check it, it comes up blank. I'm really getting frustrated. I did a search to see how other people have been able to get it to work and it didn't help.

------------------
FREE CARFAX Record Check

If you live in Southeastern US, check us out!
South East Thirdgen

GM Master Tech
ASE Master Tech + L1

Savannah, GA

'87 Trans Am
S/D TPI retrofit including functional PassKey,
22# injectors,
Whatever chip I feel like burning,
JET AFPR, Ported Plenum,
TB Coolant Bypass, Custom Cold Air,
SSM SFC, KYB Shocks, Boxed LCAs, Wonder Bar,
8mm Accel wires,
Flowmaster Exhaust,
16" GTA rims,
Corvette Servo,
3.73 Posi
4wheel Disc Brakes
Summit 1-5/8" headers, 2.5" Dynomax catback.

Best 1/8: 9.519@72.74

'97 Bonneville SSE
Old 08-29-2001, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some basics you should know about fileprom. First never insert or take out the prom when the program is not running. Alway have fileprom up and have the correct chip selected then insert the chip. I trashed one chip by doing this wrong. Second what address are you burning to? I am running a mass air car so I burn my bin to the range of 4000 - 7FFF. 0000 - 3FFF is blank. Blank is just a file filled with hex FF. Also try running fileprom from a straight dos promt. I spent many hours trying to burn a chip, it comes second nature now. Hope this helped.

------------------
1988 L98
Vette Heads/no EGR
SLP Headers/Y-Pipe
ARAP bin
Old 08-29-2001, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

It starts at 0000 and ends at ffff. I am using fileprom.exe from the MSDOSprompt w/ no other programs running in teh background. It will say its programmed, but when I "blank check" its all "FF"s. These are for Speed Density bins if that matters.

------------------
FREE CARFAX Record Check

South East Thirdgen

GM Master Tech
ASE Master Tech + L1

Savannah, GA

'87 Trans Am
22# injectors,
JET AFPR, Ported Plenum,
8mm Accel wires,
Flowmaster Exhaust,
16" GTA rims,
Corvette Servo,
3.73 Posi
4wheel Disc Brakes

'97 Bonneville SSE
Old 08-29-2001, 09:50 PM

Car: T/A / Grand Am
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: glide
Axle/Gears: 9" ford 5.67
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GMTech:
OK, I have two AT29C256 chips, and I never could get them to burn w/ my Gateway, Pentium III computer and I knew that alot of people were having problems w/ different computers, so now I have an NEC laptop (older Pentium), I'm using fileprom.exe from DOS, and it says its programmed, but when I check it, it comes up blank. I'm really getting frustrated. I did a search to see how other people have been able to get it to work and it didn't help.

</font>
I'm having the same problem! I've also given up on using the flash chips, i think useing the regular eproms is much easier. I'm just going to take some erased chips to the track with me. I can burn a regular chip in 30 seconds, and I've tried to burn the flash chips up to 10 times, actually getting less on the burn each time. I've also tried this on 4 differant computers, no differance.

------------------
87 GTA 355/700r4
ported&polished 083 heads
xe268h comp cam
1 5/8 blackjack alumicote
homebuilt y pipe,pasesetter 3in mandrel cat back.
ported/manifold,upper plentum, tpis maf.
airfoil, 24# svo injectors, home programed chip, underdrive pulleys, erson roller rockers, chromemolley pushrods,2100 stall, shiftkit, 373 10 bolt.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

FIRST thing, make sure your not in windows(just to cover that as a problem). From dos, make sure your autoexec.bat and config.sys are empty if at all possible and try again.
I have an inital problem writing when I first open the fileprom.exe myself. For SOME reason I have to write my flashproms as option 11 or "27c256"'s, i do one "burn" as a 27c256 and then I switch it back to the correct AT29c256 option then I can burn all day or until my laptop craps out and needs rebooted. Don't ask why I have to write as a 27c256.. just what I've found.. maybe the higher voltage does something to the chip? beats me, it works.. just my experience.

Hope this helps,

Brendan

------------------
1987 IROC-Z L98,SR,EB 6085's,LPE 219/219 SR Cam, Crane 1.6RR, EB TPI Base, 58mm TB, Stock T5, 30lb SVO, AFPR, K&N, EB TES, Catco Cat, 3" Borla Cat-Back, Accel cap,rotor,distro/other crap, Aluminum DS, 94 Disk Rear, Adjustable Prop Valve, Precision 3.73 Gears, Weld in Sub-Frame Connectors, Hotchkis LCA's, KYB Shocks/Struts, Poly Bushings all over the place, Moog Upper/Lower Ball joints and Tie Rods ends/Idler Arm, Big stereo, 730SD Conversion.

To see the ROC, Check out the webpage Here
Old 08-29-2001, 10:37 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by leirch:
FIRST thing, make sure your not in windows(just to cover that as a problem). From dos, make sure your autoexec.bat and config.sys are empty if at all possible and try again.
I have an inital problem writing when I first open the fileprom.exe myself. For SOME reason I have to write my flashproms as option 11 or "27c256"'s, i do one "burn" as a 27c256 and then I switch it back to the correct AT29c256 option then I can burn all day or until my laptop craps out and needs rebooted. Don't ask why I have to write as a 27c256.. just what I've found.. maybe the higher voltage does something to the chip? beats me, it works.. just my experience.

Hope this helps,

Brendan

</font>
I thought they used a differant programming voltage. I would have thought if you use the higher voltage it could damage the flash chip. Am I wrong? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:58 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
You got mail.
Old 08-30-2001, 01:47 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Why not burn with the pocket programmers windows software? I use it to burn the at's no problem.

------------------
86 406
Old 08-30-2001, 04:01 AM
TGO Supporter

I can't get the Windows Version to work on either of my two computers.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
The only way that I can get it to work is to use the LATEST version of the Windows software along with running no other programs on the computer. This includes shutting everything down in the system tray too (the little icons in the taskbar all the way to the left next to the clock).

Tim

------------------
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Best Time = 12.244 @ 112.51mph (1.778 60' / 7.819@88.32mph in the 1/8)
All Natural. No Force. No Drugs. Stock Bottom End. Stock Body Panels.
Gunning for NA 11's with bigger cam, bigger stall, and bigger exhaust.
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Moderator: PROM board at thirdgen.org
Old 08-30-2001, 03:12 PM
Banned

Don't bash the AT28C256 chips. They're A LOT easier to use then a regular EPROM. Here's a few things to keep in mind when working with them.

First, I've burned my AT28C256 chip over 200 times successfuly EVERY SINGLE time!

Second, the theory that you HAVE to program it with blank FF locations first is BS. You dont.

The only way I found works everytime on any computer I've tried is by using the pocket programmer windows software and doing it in SAFE MODE.

Here's what you have to do step by step.

1. Start the computer and press F8 right after it says "Starting Windows 9X...". Pick Option 3 which should be "Safe mode".

2. Once in safe mode open the pocket programmer software. You'll notice when it's time to pick a chip you can't scroll up or down because you cant see the scroll bars. That's ok. Just choose any chip for now. After you do that click on "Large Buttons". The buttons will shrink down (!) and now you can click on the chip button and pick the correct AT29C256 chip from the list.

3. Load your buffer with your favorite .bin and start programming.

Doing it this way has never let me down yet. I've done this both on my Windows 95 and Windows 98 machines.

GMTech... try it before you start pulling your hair out

p.s. I know it's a pain in the *** to have to restart twice to get into "Safe Mode" then back to regular, but it's a lot easier then gettting frustrated after you tried to burn a chip for the 30th time unsuccessfully.

------------------
92 Z28 5.7
------------------
Trick Flow 23° heads, Comp Cams XR270HR-10 cam, Accel intake base + ported TPI,
TES headers, Flowmaster catback, MSD ignition, #24 SVO injectors, 1LE aluminum driveshaft.

Click here to see pics of my car !

[This message has been edited by Synergy (edited August 30, 2001).]
Old 08-30-2001, 03:45 PM

One thing is for sure, we all seem to have different problems. I can only program them with my old 486 Toshiba laptop which is what I prefer anyway. My Gateway running the Windows version will not program them. Don't get mad for me asking but you are selecting "F" for flash and then option 8? Also DO NOT save the prom type. You must choose option "F" then 8 EVERY TIME! Also DO NOT run Fileprom form a windows Dos Shell. Restart the computer in DOS mode.

Hope this helps.
JAson
Old 08-30-2001, 07:41 PM
TGO Supporter

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Synergy:
First, I've burned my AT28C256 chip over 200 times successfuly EVERY SINGLE time!

Second, the theory that you HAVE to program it with blank FF locations first is BS. You dont.
</font>
Actually it's the AT29C256. Second, it depends on the system. With the Windows Version, I did not need Hex FFs; but then the Windows Version was "flakey" on one of my computers and wouldn't run on my other.

With FILEPROM, and my computers, I DO have to initialize with Hex FFs. So it REALLY is dependent on which computer you have. I can successfully program (and even read) the AT29C256, but it throughs an SES code, goes in to Limp Mode (not Fail Safe) and I cannot even read my ALDL with Diacom.

So you really can't generalize. I am noticing (as many others) that the AT29C256 seems to be a bit quirky on different computer systems. I am sure Bernard (GMTech) and MANY OTHERS know what I mean , as he has had NOTHING but problems and never has gotten them to work. Consider yourself lucky.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

OK, I tried starting the computer in DOS and yes, I'm using "F" for flash prom and "8" for the AT29C256 and still won't work.

I tried starting the computer in "SAFE MODE" and it still does the same crap.

I can load the buffer w/ FF's and it will program and it will blank check OK and it will say the EEPROM can be programmed w/ the BIN I want to use, but when I hit "program device" it says "Programming failure has occured" and the message box pops up and says "Device DID NOT program..".

Old 08-30-2001, 08:20 PM

I'm new to this stuff and I'm not having any problems with my at29C256's. I've burned them several times and never had any problems. I'm using windows 98SE and the pocket programmer software. FF to erase and just start burnin.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

I'm thinking my chips are toast. Anybody near Georgia wanna lend me one? Ya'll know I'm good for it.

------------------
FREE CARFAX Record Check

South East Thirdgen

GM Master Tech
ASE Master Tech + L1

Savannah, GA

'87 Trans Am
22# injectors,
JET AFPR, Ported Plenum,
8mm Accel wires,
Flowmaster Exhaust,
16" GTA rims,
Corvette Servo,
3.73 Posi
4wheel Disc Brakes

'97 Bonneville SSE
Old 08-30-2001, 10:17 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GMTech:
OK, I tried starting the computer in DOS and yes, I'm using "F" for flash prom and "8" for the AT29C256 and still won't work.

I tried starting the computer in "SAFE MODE" and it still does the same crap.

I can load the buffer w/ FF's and it will program and it will blank check OK and it will say the EEPROM can be programmed w/ the BIN I want to use, but when I hit "program device" it says "Programming failure has occured" and the message box pops up and says "Device DID NOT program..".

</font>
I having exactly the same problem. NO differance in safe mode.
I've also tried one running win 95, samething. Software issue?

[This message has been edited by cp87GTA (edited August 31, 2001).]
Old 08-30-2001, 11:24 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
With my desktop p-3 800 and laptop -compaq pent. 166 in windows 98, windows version PP I've never had a problem-reading this post makes me feel lucky! I better go buy some lotto tickets!

------------------
86 406
Old 08-31-2001, 05:05 PM

I can only burn those chips with my tosh. amd 700 latop running win ME. I even run it thru the pop up dos box. All my other computers and laptops failed. My maincomputer(amd900) fails about halfway thru.
Maybe will try safe mode on that computer.

Dennis

------------------
85 vette,383,miniram,ZF6,4.10's..best ET 11.56@119.00 60' 1.59
w/100HP nirous 11.05@127
http://geocities.com/bowtie8
http://bowtye8.tzo.com
Old 08-31-2001, 06:12 PM
TGO Supporter

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BOWTYE8:
I can only burn those chips with my tosh. amd 700 latop running win ME. I even run it thru the pop up dos box. All my other computers and laptops failed. My maincomputer(amd900) fails about halfway thru.
Maybe will try safe mode on that computer.

Dennis

</font>
Now this is funny as Xtronics even says it won't work on ME. I also have an ME machine, and I haven't even wasted my time trying. I might give it a go now.

Hell, I am feeling lucky just to have FILEPROM work now. Time for a "group e-mail" to Xtronics I think.

I REALLY like the Pocket Programmer, but I am concerned about the number of guys who are having problems with the AT29C256. I am also wondering if this is maybe an Atmel problem, like GMTech said. I do find it odd that 27C256s work like a charm, but there are "issues" with the AT29C256s. Too many to be just a coincidence.
Old 09-01-2001, 07:41 AM

Glen
I am using a Rommaster II for a programmer. Not shure if that all matters since its all dos based.
Yes I was very surprised as well but its still working.

Just for info.... I also just load the new bin in without loading a FF bin first.
Dennis

------------------
85 vette,383,miniram,ZF6,4.10's..best ET 11.56@119.00 60' 1.59
w/100HP nirous 11.05@127
http://geocities.com/bowtie8
http://bowtye8.tzo.com
Old 09-04-2001, 09:36 PM

GMTech, any luck yet? I had the same problem you did where it would keep erroring out. They replaced my pocket programmer after teh warrenty was up no questions asked. If you ask me, I think they know of a problem with the older PP or at least some of them. Did you call Carl at Transonics?
Jason
Old 09-06-2001, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member

No luck yet, either on my desktop or laptop, regarless of software version, in safe mode, etc... I think its time to give teh PP people a call, cause now I am having trouble w/ other types of chips also.

------------------
FREE CARFAX Record Check

South East Thirdgen

GM Master Tech
ASE Master Tech + L1

Savannah, GA

'87 Trans Am
22# injectors,
JET AFPR, Ported Plenum,
8mm Accel wires,
Flowmaster Exhaust,
16" GTA rims,
Corvette Servo,
3.73 Posi
4wheel Disc Brakes

'97 Bonneville SSE
Old 09-08-2001, 04:05 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I am now having problems programming 2732 chips now too. So I called Transtronics and told them about my problems. And after doing what they told me, I think the PP is bad.

Once you select a PROM, you can hit "88 Enter" and it will show you how to measure your programming voltages. You have 3 options: 12.5V 21V and 25V. You measure between pins 1 and 16 (it will show you) and you select your voltages from there.

Well, all I could get out of all three voltages was 11V wich explains all of the weird things it has been doing, so I'll give transtronics a call and get this straightened out and hopefully be enjoying Flash Proms like the rest of you!

------------------
FREE CARFAX Record Check

South East Thirdgen

GM Master Tech
ASE Master Tech + L1

Savannah, GA

'87 Trans Am
22# injectors,
JET AFPR, Ported Plenum,
8mm Accel wires,
Flowmaster Exhaust,
16" GTA rims,
Corvette Servo,
3.73 Posi
4wheel Disc Brakes

'97 Bonneville SSE
Old 09-08-2001, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

Great to hear you found a problem with the PP!
Well not great that you have a problem but that it sounds like it was nothing you were doing wrong!
Keep us up to date,

Brendan

------------------
1987 IROC-Z L98,SR,EB 6085's,LPE 219/219 SR Cam, Crane 1.6RR, EB TPI Base, 58mm TB, Stock T5, 30lb SVO, AFPR, K&N, EB TES, Catco Cat, 3" Borla Cat-Back, Accel cap,rotor,distro/other crap, Aluminum DS, 94 Disk Rear, Adjustable Prop Valve, Precision 3.73 Gears, Weld in Sub-Frame Connectors, Hotchkis LCA's, KYB Shocks/Struts, Poly Bushings all over the place, Moog Upper/Lower Ball joints and Tie Rods ends/Idler Arm, Big stereo, 730SD Conversion.

To see the ROC, Check out the webpage Here