DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

dont know what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont know what to do

I was talking to an individual at a shop near me and he was trying to discourage me from prom burning... i mentioned i was interested and asked what he thought. He said it's dangerous blah blah blah you can mess your engine up blah blah blah just use our dyno. Is prom burning REALLY that dangerous? And correct my if im wrong but, i can keep the stock prom and just buy new eproms to put in and burn correct?
Old 07-28-2001, 01:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gta-Paladin:
I was talking to an individual at a shop near me and he was trying to discourage me from prom burning... i mentioned i was interested and asked what he thought. He said it's dangerous blah blah blah you can mess your engine up blah blah blah just use our dyno. Is prom burning REALLY that dangerous? And correct my if im wrong but, i can keep the stock prom and just buy new eproms to put in and burn correct?[/QUOTE

Yes you can buy blank eproms to burn and keep the stock aside.best bet read the article at top of DIY board Promm buring intro.best place to start.
Old 07-28-2001, 08:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gta-Paladin:
I was talking to an individual at a shop near me and he was trying to discourage me from prom burning... i mentioned i was interested and asked what he thought. He said it's dangerous blah blah blah you can mess your engine up blah blah blah just use our dyno. Is prom burning REALLY that dangerous? And correct my if im wrong but, i can keep the stock prom and just buy new eproms to put in and burn correct?</font>
Engine tuning is engine tuning.
Too lean too much timing, ain't good.
Read up on prom burning, and how to do it, and you'll see how misinformed the other guy was.

Old 07-28-2001, 08:53 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
This individual shows a lack of knowledge about eprom burning. Using a dyno will help dial in for max TQ/HP. But it does nothing for part-throttle REAL WORLD driving nor anything for idle or deceleration.

A dyno only assists in tuning for WOT, which represents only 1-5% of your typical driving.

And, unless the dyno time is free; I wonder what his bias is?
Old 07-28-2001, 11:29 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glenn91L98GTA:
This individual shows a lack of knowledge about eprom burning. Using a dyno will help dial in for max TQ/HP. But it does nothing for part-throttle REAL WORLD driving nor anything for idle or deceleration.

A dyno only assists in tuning for WOT, which represents only 1-5% of your typical driving.

And, unless the dyno time is free; I wonder what his bias is?
</font>
i agree with glenn91l98gta.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:36 PM

Okay, so i've been reading up on prom burning a bit... slowly i'll learn, it appears to me that its better to start burning when you're a stocker? Also, do i NEED Tpis' level VI prom? Does it come with the miniram? (im looking into a miniram) If it doesnt are there other things out there i can do? If im not allowed to ask for proms, how do i learn from experienced prom burners as to what to do... Are there places out there i can d/l these? Thanks for your time.