DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

PROM gurus.. help me with an EGR problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 04:58 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
PROM gurus.. help me with an EGR problem!!!

i'm jsut wondering how the EGR would be accounted for by the ECM..

here's my predicament.. I am getting EGR codes constantly. I have a new EGR on the car, when i replaced the original one I noticed a TON of buildup in the EGR passages but didn't ahve the time to pull off the intake and get it tanked..

i'm wondering how the ECM interacts with the EGR and if it checks up on the EGR (or somehow crossreferences EGR operation in a table..)

as well, the car tends to surge on the freeway.. i know EGR can cause this.. the idle is rough, to the point the car is missing.. could this be the EGR, too?

What i'm 'really' trying to find out here is this:

With the EST disconnected the car purrs, with it connected the car runs horrible. I'm assuming that with the EST disconnected the ECM would not be pulsing the EGR, only running off the PROM?

thanks for the input guys...

Colin

------------------
Webmaster: www.IROC-Z.org
Old 07-27-2001, 07:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ColinOpseth:
i'm jsut wondering how the EGR would be accounted for by the ECM..

here's my predicament.. I am getting EGR codes constantly. I have a new EGR on the car, when i replaced the original one I noticed a TON of buildup in the EGR passages but didn't ahve the time to pull off the intake and get it tanked..

i'm wondering how the ECM interacts with the EGR and if it checks up on the EGR (or somehow crossreferences EGR operation in a table..)
as well, the car tends to surge on the freeway.. i know EGR can cause this.. the idle is rough, to the point the car is missing.. could this be the EGR, too?
What i'm 'really' trying to find out here is this:

With the EST disconnected the car purrs, with it connected the car runs horrible. I'm assuming that with the EST disconnected the ECM would not be pulsing the EGR, only running off the PROM?
thanks for the input guys...
Colin
</font>
If you run EGR then the system needs to be right, ie passageways open.
If you elect to run without EGR you can turn it off in the chip.
The codes your getting are mechanical repair items, if the passageways are plugged well sounds like that is your problem.
You need to get some sort of scan tool to figure out what the ecm is doing, if disconnecting the ESC makes it run better.

Old 07-27-2001, 12:06 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

how much is a scan tool?

i'm thinking about selling the car (I have another IROC, as well) so I'd rather not spend another chunk of change but if they're reasonable I'll pick one up..

thanks for the help, Grumpy..
Old 07-27-2001, 12:19 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
You can either use Craig Moate's software (BTW you don't mention the year of your car) which is free; get an Auto X-ray (a couple hundred dollars) or a computer based scan tool like Diacom or Ease ($300-$500).

The advantages of the computer based scan tools is they generally allow you to capture data (lots of data) and work on a variety of GM cars from 1982-1995 (more or less).

Craig's software is great for MAF cars (it actually captures more information than Diacom and you have access to the source code). It also is suppose to work with SD cars, but I don't believe anyone with an SD car has tried it yet. I am actually thinking about trying Craig's software, even though I also have Diacom.
Old 07-27-2001, 12:30 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Cool, thanks for the reply

how would i hook up the software? I have a notebook, does he sell the software and have a cable?

how much dough>?

my car is an '86 305tpi..

------------------
Webmaster: www.IROC-Z.org & www.GMPerformance.org
Old 07-27-2001, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will need to get one of his cables made by AKM or assemble it yourself. And the software was designed for MAF TPI cars also so that is probly your best/cheapest bet.

Do a search for "Moates" on the prom board, you'll find EVERYTHING you need to know.. Or atleast enough.

Brendan
Old 07-27-2001, 04:46 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

thanks bro