DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Aftermarket chip affect on scanners, cables, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket chip affect on scanners, cables, etc.

I'm getting serious about getting my setup tuned in (see sig.), so I've got the laptop, about to order the AKM cable, and download Craig's software. Most of the work had already been done on this car by Scroggin-Dickey when I got it and the previous owner doesn't understand much about what all was done. Tonight I decided to see what chip is in it, here's whats on the prom:
Z-Industries, Inc.
87 350 cam/TA TPI 180
Auto 9EF4 EOBB2

My question is, will this chip present any problems in scanning or cabling? I'm assuming it should be compatible with the previous 165, therefore will work with Craig's software. My plan is to learn what's going on, then move into burning my own prom. Man, this is exciting stuff!!

------------------
'87 Formula WS6 - ZZ4 TPI, ported heads, LT4 hot cam, 1.6RR, SLP runners, Accel lower, ported plenum, Edelbrock 58mm TB, pulleys, SLP cold air, headers and full exhaust, Koni yellows.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4 2400 ACT Stall
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Borg Warner 9-Bolt
I wouldn't think it would pose as any kind of a problem. Although the recommendation seems to be, plug and disable the cold start injector then burn the ARAP bin file and start useing the 6E code.

------------------
89 IROC-Z 350 TPI

-Flowmaster Catback
-Performance Resource Chip
-700R4 (Rebuilt) Too much done to actually list
-K&N Airfilters
-Ported Plenum
-2.77 Gears (not much to brag about but eh, its there)
-MSD 8.5 mm plug wires
-Gutted cat
-!AIR
-Gutted Air Boxes
Old 06-27-2001, 07:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve10:
I'm getting serious about getting my setup tuned in (see sig.), so I've got the laptop, about to order the AKM cable, and download Craig's software. Most of the work had already been done on this car by Scroggin-Dickey when I got it and the previous owner doesn't understand much about what all was done. Tonight I decided to see what chip is in it, here's whats on the prom:
Z-Industries, Inc.
87 350 cam/TA TPI 180
Auto 9EF4 EOBB2

My question is, will this chip present any problems in scanning or cabling? I'm assuming it should be compatible with the previous 165, therefore will work with Craig's software. My plan is to learn what's going on, then move into burning my own prom. Man, this is exciting stuff!!

</font>
First thing is throw that chip away. Or just use it while your figuring out what really needs done.
Start with a *fresh* sheet of paper (bin).
Get a new or used memcal that is close to what you have and start with that, and just read thur this site, about what you need to do, I mean all the threads, then start