DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

In car EEPROM programing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 11:38 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
In car EEPROM programing?

Here is a thought for someone. I have done a little, ok very little, research on taking the EPROM and using an EEPROM instead. I thought about taking the EEPROM solder wires on it. The wires would come straight out the top, so you could still plug the chip right into your ECM. These wires would go into a plug, like a Female serial plug on your computer.
Then take a Male Serial Plug and run another set of wires that would plug right into the pocket programmer. Since The Pocket programmer seems to automatically erase the EEPROM, it just might work.

Then you would not need to be continually changing chips.

I also thought about a toggle switch to put on the ECM power to cut any power into it.

Think about it.

------------------
87 Formula 5.1 converted to TPI Yellow/Black
SLP Dur 206/212, Lift 480/487, Cent Line 112 cam, SLP headers, SLP cat-back exhaust
K&N Airfilter
Modified Stock cold air intake
Ported & polished Stock TPI intake
Holley Adjustable Fuel Press regulator
AC Rapidfire Spark Plugs.
Gil Younger (no yo-yo) Shift Kit
Aluminum Driveshaft
3.73 Posi gear
Baer 12" brakes 4 wheels
KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks & struts
Hotchkis strut tower brace
South side machine frame connectors
Custom reinforced control arms and pan hard bar.
Custom Leather interior
CUSTOM Yellow Gauge Faces

87 Formula TPI (5 Speed) Yellow/Gray STOCK

1967 Buick Riviera 430hp Turns high 14's (Not bad for 4300 lbs)

83 Camaro (Parts)
83 T/A (parts)

http://www.3rdgenformula.com
Old 06-21-2001, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by okfoz:
Here is a thought for someone. I have done a little, ok very little, research on taking the EPROM and using an EEPROM instead. I thought about taking the EEPROM solder wires on it. The wires would come straight out the top, so you could still plug the chip right into your ECM. These wires would go into a plug, like a Female serial plug on your computer.
Then take a Male Serial Plug and run another set of wires that would plug right into the pocket programmer. Since The Pocket programmer seems to automatically erase the EEPROM, it just might work.
Then you would not need to be continually changing chips.
I also thought about a toggle switch to put on the ECM power to cut any power into it.
Think about it.
</font>
You need to isolate the eeprom from the ecm, not just remove power from it.
I don't think the microprocessor would like seeing power, on the read pins,
I maybe wrong here, but this is what I understand of it.
Old 06-21-2001, 03:43 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
So, if I can acquire a multi-chip setup like the Jet system, it might be posible to isolate the chip so it can be programed?

just thinking with my fingers....
Old 06-21-2001, 05:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 5.7L V8
Transmission: 700R4
I'm not sure about the Pocket Programmer specifically, but generally Flash ROMS use a higher voltage to write to the chip. Ie 12V to write rather than 5V to read. This could damage the ECM because the voltage would be too high.

I like the idea, but you would have to isolate every pin on the EEPROM before you wrote to it. Maybe this is what the Jet system does, but I've never seen it.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have looked into this a bit & this would not be to smart an idea. You do want every pin disconnected from the ECM before you hit it with the programmer. what seems to be the simplest idea that might be plausable, is to have a setup like a printer A, B box. this way you have the prom on the common port the ECM on A & the Programmer on B. you can physically disconnect the prom from A to B when you are programming. The thing is that you are probably going to want to disconnect the Battery from the ECM when you go from A to B & vice versa, so that the ECM is forced to do a hard reboot & load from the defaults.

Another thing is that you want to keep ALL the wires as short as possible. you dont want the chance that you are going to introduce noise into any of the lines.

BW

------------------
Bobalos
aka Bob W.
www.r71camaro.homestead.com
r71chevy@earthlink.net
&lt;&gt;&lt;