DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Let's clear up this ARAP thing...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Used to be an '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7l TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:23?
Let's clear up this ARAP thing...

I've been reading all the posts regarding the now famous ARAP bin. I was under the impression that this was some "secret" image that "someone" managed to get their hands on and post on DIY-EFI. It supposedly contains some special tweaks made by GM engineers so that magazine test drivers got good results during comparisons, etc. I got the impression that this was NOT a stock image at all.

Now, I am reading about this ARAP memcal that you can buy from the dealer. There's a "Corvette" ARAP, etc. These posts suggest that the ARAP code is nothing really special, just has unique stock applications (sorta like an aluminum driveshaft, or 1LE brakes, etc).

What's the real deal? Are we talking about different ARAP's? What the hell does ARAP mean or stand for, anyway? I have ordered the $6E TDF file from TunerCat and am beginning to wonder which ARAP bin I need to start with...

BTW, for comparison purposes, which bin on DIY-EFI is the stock '89 bin?

------------------
'87 IROC 5.7l TPI - original owner!
Old 04-20-2001, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by P J Moran:
I've been reading all the posts regarding the now famous ARAP bin. I was under the impression that this was some "secret" image that "someone" managed to get their hands on and post on DIY-EFI. It supposedly contains some special tweaks made by GM engineers so that magazine test drivers got good results during comparisons, etc. I got the impression that this was NOT a stock image at all.

Now, I am reading about this ARAP memcal that you can buy from the dealer. There's a "Corvette" ARAP, etc. These posts suggest that the ARAP code is nothing really special, just has unique stock applications (sorta like an aluminum driveshaft, or 1LE brakes, etc).
What's the real deal? Are we talking about different ARAP's? What the hell does ARAP mean or stand for, anyway? I have ordered the $6E TDF file from TunerCat and am beginning to wonder which ARAP bin I need to start with...
BTW, for comparison purposes, which bin on DIY-EFI is the stock '89 bin?
</font>
The ARAP was th emost refined, and best performing of the GM oem chips. It was used in all the magazine cars put forth for evaluation.

If your running a MAF system car it's the best one to start with. This is from years of guys tinkering with em.....