DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

What a joke, Carb Vs EFI showdown in PHR Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2001, 08:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
What a joke, Carb Vs EFI showdown in PHR Magazine

This had to be the most unscientific unconclusive comparisons ive read about a carb vs fuel injection test, holley 950 commander vs a holley 750 vacuum secondary carb on a street dominator manifold (i believe thats a dual plane)

talk about rediculous, yeah thats fair, compare a 1000 cfm tb on a single plane to a 750 vac secondary carb on a dual plane.

I believe efi is better and all but the whole article is just a blatant plug for the new holley efi system. They didnt even bother tuning the carb other than changing the primary jets
and the biggest part about tuning the commander was "changing the injectors to 36 lb injectors" no mention of any other tuning of any kind really except for a sidebar on the maps and whatnot the system has for fueling and spark

talk about bogus, oh well, i was hoping to see a real head to head test with as many constants as possible since the cover advertised "Carb vs EFI Whos got more Power?"
Old 01-05-2001, 08:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Nope, doesn't look like an equal comparison at all. What engine did they put this test on? I plan to save my money and not buy the magazine.
Old 01-05-2001, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
a 454 chevy, pretty stout motor was making like 320 at the rear wheels

I didnt mention that they were doing this on a chassis dyno and the car had a super high stall converter
with the FI the lowest rpm the converter flashed to was 4400 and with the carb it was 3400
Old 01-05-2001, 09:56 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
I think an 850 would have been a far better comparison, using the same single plane manifold.

The 750 probably made some good low end torque though. Did they mention how much each "option" cost?
Old 01-06-2001, 06:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by Pablo:
This had to be the most unscientific unconclusive comparisons ive read about a carb vs fuel injection test, holley 950 commander vs a holley 750 vacuum secondary carb on a street dominator manifold (i believe thats a dual plane)
I believe efi is better and all but the whole article is just a blatant plug for the new holley efi system.
talk about bogus, oh well, i was hoping to see a real head to head test with as many constants as possible since the cover advertised "Carb vs EFI Whos got more Power?"
I gave up on the mags about 20 years ago. All the *evaluations* are done with donated parts, sure no room for bias there.
Also, remember these guys are still promoting 160d thermostats.

In any one particulat engine comparision if all you look at are WOT numbers, then carb can often match EFI numbers. And with a generic aftermarket chip, drivibility is about the same.
BUT, when you really get into things, the EFI has no match. To include an EFI specific correctly designed manifold.
Try tuning the Decleration mixture on a Holley some time, and then on efi, whawho, me takes the EFI anytime.