DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Starting out, checksum and .xdf files $58A 7749

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Sunbird Turbo
Engine: 2.0 OHC turbo
Transmission: Auto th125
Axle/Gears: stock
Starting out, checksum and .xdf files $58A 7749

I've got a 1990 pontiac sunbird turbo with the 7749 ecu. I'm trying to download the stock binary, and It comes up with odd values for things. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing something right. I'm using the autoprom, and tuner Pro RT

I'm not real sure what .xdf file I should be using. Everywhere I've read says that it's the $58A mask. In the Moates Fileman I can't find an xdf for this also Tuner Pro doesn't have one either. I finally found one from NWSTP that is for the sy/ty 4.3L turbo 2/3bar 7749. I'm using it, but I'm wondering if they haven't modified it, or again maybe I don't have a setting right when I download off of my stock chip. I know I only have a 2 bar sensor, and didn't know if the sytyguys have a generic code that alot of them baseline off of so they could change between the 2 bar and 3. And then modified the xdf to fit that generic code.

or maybe It all comes back to my checksum... I know I'm supposed to enter a 0xAA for the check sum. But it's asking for a dec. number. I'm a little confused.

Basically everything I've done so far ends in limphome mode. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by adowdell; 06-23-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:03 PM

Car: 93 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3L V6 Turbo Charged
Transmission: 4L80e
e-mail me your bin paul@nwstp.com and I will take a look at it. I am not sure if the turbo sunbird uses the exact same code as the syty's. I thought they did so I would be curious to look at it. Let me know what sections look wrong so I can look at them.

Last edited by skwayb; 06-23-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Ok I checked the tunerCat site and they do have the mask listed as $58A. So the xdf at nwstp.com probably isn't going to work.

I found one at Moates site that looks like it is the correct one.

http://www.moates.net/files/3)%20Bin...iles/58-32.ecu

Give that one a try.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:21 PM

Hmm.. Scratch that.. that looks like the ECU file that the one on NWSTP was based off. I don't remember what ECU file was used to make that one on NWSTP when I took it over. You can give it a try but I don't think it will work and I know it has quite a few errors in it.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:12 PM

I'll email you the bin when I get home. I'm at work now. I'm not sure everything that's off. Basically I'm guessing that redline should be higher than the idle RPM. I've tried to download a couple different bin files, and they all result in limp home mode. Some of that may be because of the checksum... I'm not really sure why it's asking for a decimal though. whenever I enter the 0xAA save it and reenter it it comes back as 0.00. So I'm guessing that it should be reading in hex... I know that there are people out there tuning the sunbirds, I just don't know where they're getting their xdf files from, unless they're using tunercat and have the tunercat definitions.

Thanks
Aaron
Old 06-27-2006, 07:54 AM

emailed

Paul,

I've finall got around to emailing the bin to you... Hope that works! and Thanks for the help, It's greatly appreciated!
Old 06-27-2006, 02:03 PM

checksum--

First of all, I'll have everyone know it's better to read thoroughly. I read checksum and 0xAA and imediately thought that it was supposed to be entered into the checksum file... It's supposed to go into the mask ID section. Thanks Mark for the refresher! I'm going to try that tonight when I get off work. Hopefully That will cure the limp home mode problems (LHM) <-- You learn new stuff everyday.

Paul, Mark mentioned you were needing a guinea pig for some coding. I'll volunteer. I need to hook a few things back up (boost control solenoid, EGR)
send files and stuff to adowdell@iastate.edu. Otherwise My work email cuts them out. Says they could be infected and stuff like that.

I ran this through another self started topic-- but what if you used the EGR control function to control an intercooler sprayer, or after perfected Nitrous? Or methanol/water injection? Who needs an EGR anyway?

I'm sure there are other things that an extra relay could be used to contol... lights for something... Just thinkin outloud! Again thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:53 PM

Mask ID

AS I'm going through the mask ID. I'm supposed to enter 0xAA. The mask I dentity is in decimal.

I have received multiple stock bins from protonus and even looking at mine.

The mask ID that is stock on all of them is 88. I would say that I'm scanning them in correctly (since my numbers are the same as the other stock bins) and that the xdf file is incorrect. I'm going to go on a xdf hunt. and see if I can find a couple that might work.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 AM

Second verification of syty 2/3bar xdf not going to work

I happened to be going through tuner Pro's website again for the 500th time. I found a syty programmer that was a stand alone bin editor. I opened it and opened my bin. Everything lookd right! So it has to be that definition file that doesn't line up with stock bin. The mask ID was in hex like it supposed to be, rpms looked right everthing. Maybe I need to find a copy of their bin, and paste all of my stock tables into it so that I can tune off of my stock baseline.

If I can't get a copy of their bin, then I guess I'll have to locate a xdf for the stock bin.