DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Attn: Craig Moates....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: Craig Moates....

Hey Man, good to meet you this weekend at the track. Could you give me a part# or reference to the adaptor you had for the eprom. Definitely makes swapping out proms much easier I'm sure. TIA!

------------------
David Tuschhoff
1991 RS Camaro M5
A SuperRammed, TPIS,
Ross, AFR, Scat, Crane,
CompCams induced 355!
My f-body page!
Old 11-14-2000, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
Hey,

Friday would have been even more fun if I was able to hook up! The weather, dropping 20 degrees, I guess just killed the traction. Must've laid down some dew. Track was in ill repair as well end of season and all, but man I figured with what low-power hardware I was running, I could have done better in spite of conditions. Didn't think I'd have near enough power to be a traction problem. I can take 1/4-passes on I-10, Perkins Rd., and 110 all day long with nothing but manageable wheelspin, but I wanted to get a good measure of ALDL 8Hz datalogging times -vs- actual times. The other night, I couldn't back off enough to hold a line. Wasn't alone, everyone was having some trouble. ****-poor best of 15.8s, and I know it can do 14.9 on a good day. Loads of fun though!

Anyways... Here's a good reference for the chip socket deal, got the idea from his work:
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ecm_swap/

This guy's got it going on! He's doing a lot of 730 work too, so might have some ideas/bins for ya. If you want to get together some time, I probably have materials enough to get you started. If you want, the big-ticket item is a $10 28-pin ZIF socket. Special-order one from Menard's Electronics (they're real nice) off Choctaw near Foster. Actually, I've got one extra right now from stuff I was playing with.

I did run in to problems when I tried to put the extension cable over to the driver's side for convenience. Looks like cable length can become an issue in terms of capacitance/resistance/interference or something when you try to go like several feet. I shored it up to like 12" and it works fine far as I can tell. The wife's out of town this week, so I have some time Wed-Fri evenings if you want to swing by or something. Just mail me offline & we'll talk.

-Craig