DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Good cheap EGT &/or AFR meter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
Good cheap EGT &/or AFR meter?

Looking to tune a little more aggressively, but there is potential danger on the horizon. I'd like to keep an eye on it.

Is there a nice solution? I may try to tie in to one of the more useless inputs (MAT) of the '165 so I could log the data on my ALDL program. For the EGT, I guess one of those AIR tubes on my Edelbrock TES might be useful after all!

I'm thinking K-type 1/16" thermocouple, Inconel sheath, swaged to the AIR tube with signal conditioner to get it in the range of the ECM input. But hey, if there's a ready-made solution, so be it.

I'd really be interested in a high-quality O2 sensor, maybe with preheat, to give my ECM good data to work with. These regular ole' Bosch just swing so much. Maybe they all do. Same goes for the knock. My stock picks up when it hits, but if there's a better way...

Getting lean, advanced, & nervous,
-Craig
Old 09-11-2000, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
well if you are dead set on ecm input i think you should skip the aldl alltogether and get a dataaquisition tool for your laptop such as the one at www.dataq.com
you can input just about anything and with the help of microsoft excel you can chart it against time, even use VSS input to measure distance traveled etc, you can input egt aswell.

A note about the egt, www.westach.com has a fine egt for sale for automotive applications youll also need their type K thermocouple. I purchased the clamp on type, youll need to drill a very small hole in a header primary tube to install it but its no big deal. Works great for me. As for an O2 meter just get the cheap cyberdyne unit that sells in summit for like 30 bux
remember though its not an accurate tool for wot tuning, Part throttle it is however so it is necessary.

Pablo

[This message has been edited by Pablo (edited September 11, 2000).]