DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Autoprom question ( I searched first )

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autoprom question ( I searched first )

I decided to leave my USB to serial converter troubles behind me, and upgrade to the USB autoprom. I plugged the unit in and when prompted I loaded the driver. In device manager, I have it set as com port 4, and that field that I cant remember the name I set it to "1" per the instructions. I opened TunerproRT and set it to com 4, max 232 cable. When the horizontal switch is set away from the USB, I can connect and read data. No problems.

When I set the switch towards the USB, I change the TunerPro setting to "autoprom" then close and reopen tunerpro. "Hardware found" is displayed. I verify its still set for autoprom and I cannot connect. It tries, but connection fails. On occasion it will say connected(like 1:25 tries), but show no data and the error packet count increases by the second. I tried changing that field I cant remember the name of from "1" to "5" for connection problems like I read somewhere- no change.

I do not have the ribbon cable attached to the ECM. Does this matter at this point? I could'nt find info anywhere on this, but I didnt think it would matter if the ribbon cable is attached to scan ALDL. The autoprom ZIF is empty. The vertical selector switch on the autoprom is in the middle the whole time.

Specs; Dell laptop 1.7ghz,512mb,windows XP. 1993 Typhoon, 749 ECM, stock chip. TunerPro RT 4.13.

I bought the autoprom used, I hope its not a hardware problem. Physically the unit shows like new. Any ideas??
Old 04-27-2006, 10:20 AM

Car: 93 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3L V6 Turbo Charged
Transmission: 4L80e
I don't think there is anything wrong with your hardware.

Code 58 has a very short window of time to connect to. I have never been able to Get the Autoprom to connect in Autoprom mode with the 749. I have been working with Mark on the problem since he lives right up the road from me. Heck it is extremely hard to connect to $58 when not in Autoprom mode. Hopefully any new version of TunerPro will make this problem go away.

Here are some e-mail I got from Mark on the problem.
This is a known issue. In AutoProm mode, it's difficult, if not impossible,
to connect to $58. For some reason the AutoProm repeating method adds enough overhead to screw up the timing.
Mark
He gave this as a suggestion to connect to it in Autoprom mode
Also, if you can get the "connected" in AutoProm mode, but the error count climbs, you should try manually sending the mode 8 silence command by selecting it in the command list and hitting"send command". Sending it a bunch of times might eventually get it to connect.

Mark
I never got it to connect in the past on Version 4.00. I haven't tried it on any of the more recent version since my Autoprom won't upload a bin successfully anymore.(haven't had time to send it back to Craig) Before V4.12, the steps to send the mode 8 command was the only way I could connect to $58 at all. Since V4.12 it connects right away without any errors using the ALDL connection Icon on the toolbar in TunerPro. So I would give those steps a try sedning the mode 8 command and see if you can get it to work. You might want to use the ALDL connect Icon on the toolbar also. That seemed to work better for me then being in the ALDL interface.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:55 AM

Car: 69 Camaro
Engine: LS1 converted to LS6
Transmission: 4L70
Axle/Gears: 12bolt 3:42
Well I have been holding off on this but I am having similiar problems and have resorted to alot of testing to even get mine to work consistently. I have a Dell Isprion which is a 2.4GHz machine. Testing last week I could not emulate and datalog at the same time. This is usually not an issue as I am usually the only person in the car so I only datalog and burn. Most of my problems have been with datalogging. Try this and report back as Mark states that this should not make a difference but I cannot connect unless I go to preferences and apply my settings even though they are set correctly. Here is my procedure that works for me:

1. Make sure you don't have any virus software running or battery schemes, etc before you open TP.
2. Go to preferences and apply the settings even though they appear to be correct. RS232 ComX. I use com 3.
3. F4 -ALDL setup select the ADS file and then create a log file.
4. Plug in the AP.
5. Turn key on and then ALDL dump then connect to ECM.

Even though I perform this 'ritual' every time I have had problems. Uninstalling the FDTI drivers and TP and reinstalling them both last weekend seemed to help. I have also seen where my battery was at 50% and it refused to connect. Testing last weekend was performed with my laptop plugged in and idling in the driveway.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:17 PM

Great.... So now I ditched my old serial setup because I couldnt use a new version of tunerpro and now I spent good money on a USB solution for my new laptop that still may not work.

I will try what you guys said when I get home. I have been connecting in non-autoprom mode fairly easy though.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:56 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
With some patience this will all get better in a couple of months. Another possibility is to edit the bin and remove the chatter from the scheduler. I'm not certain about how to do it with $58, but it is certainly possible.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:15 PM

I'm sorry if that last post sounded a little harsh. I'm having a bad day at work on top of everything else.

I really do appreciate all that everyone does here on this board to help out one another. I'm sorry that I am not very computer literate but I am willing to do any testing that needs to be done to get this sorted out.

Thanks to all.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:41 PM
TGO Supporter

Your frustration is well-understood. Just don't kick the puppy when you get home. I like puppies.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
I haven't actually sniffed the ALDL datastream for the BBZB $58 code, but here is the schedule table. I don't see why there would be a lot of chatter.

Code:
	;; --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	;; ALDL Transmit Message Table (Address of messages to TX)
	;;  The table is referenced every 12.5ms
	;;  If an entry is non-zero, then the msg pointed to by the address is transmitted
	;;  The total table reference time is 16*12.5ms = 200ms
	;; --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot  0
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot  1
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot  2
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot  3
	.word	0xC81C		; Time slot  4  (go to address 0xC81C and ALDL TX Polling msg (0xF0)
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot  5
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot  6
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot  7
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot  8
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot  9
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot 10
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot 11
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot 12
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot 13
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot 14
	.word	0x0000		; Time slot 15
	;; -----------------------------------------------------------------------
	;; ALDL Mode 1 Fixed Data stream
	;; Start of Table (Addresses of data to TX on the ALDL link)
	;; -----------------------------------------------------------------------
LC770:	.word  0xC000	; Byte  1, PROM ID MSB
	.word  0xC001	; Byte  2, PROM ID LSB
;;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LCB6B:	ldab	L0121		; MODE 7, Command Schedule message dump, point to RX buff for MSG to SCI TX
	lslb			; codes are 0x to 0xF (16 possible scheduled MSG codes), left shift once
				; now only 8 msgs are possible, defined by bit1 being the LSB
	ldx	#0xC750		; reg_x = 0xC750, point to the scheduled message table (one msg per 12.5msec)
	abx			; reg_x = reg_x+reg_b, reg_x = 0xC750 + 2*MSG_CODE
	ldx	0x00,x		; reg_x = MEM[reg_x], get addr. of msg to SCI TX from the scheduled msg table
	beq	LCB94		; branch if zero to exit, no msg to SCI TX (read SCI RX, wake-up RX, exit)
	ldd	0x00,x		; else, msg to SCI TX, get msg table base address to SCI TX (MSG ID byte)
	stab	*L00CE		; save msg table base addr. at MEM[0x00CE:0x00CF]
	staa	*L00CF		; 

;;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LF996:	ldx	#0x4007		; reg_x = MEM[0x4007], get SCI TX/RX control reg
	bclr	0x00,x,#0x36	; clear bits 1,2,4,5  (disable SCI Receiver)
	brset	*L0028,#0x80,LF9DF ; branch if bit7 of MEM[0x0028] set, do ALDL MODE 1,2,3,4,7 command SCI TX
	ldx	#0xC750		; else, reg_x = 0xC750, point to schedule msg table
	ldab	*L0000		; reg_b = MEM[0x0000], get Minor Loop Counter (MLC)
	andb	#0x1E		; mask off bits with 0x0001_1110, only allow select few msgs to be TXed
	abx			; reg_x = 0xC750+reg_b, point to the msg table entry for the current MLC
	ldx	0x00,x		; get base addr. of current msg table selected by MLC
	beq	LFA18		; branch if addr. is zero, no msg to SCI TX
	ldd	0x00,x		; else, msg to TX, reg_d = base addr. of MSG to SCI TX
	stab	*L00CE		; store msg to TX base address at [0x00CE:0x00CF]
	staa	*L00CF		;

Last edited by junkcltr; 04-27-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:37 PM
TGO Supporter

There's not a lot of chatter. Just the normal chatter message (F4 55 BB or F0 55 BB or whatever it is).

But the way the Autoprom works, there's no way to listen for it and respond to it in time, so with the AutoProm TunerPro just spams the port in hopes of getting a mode 1 message in the appropriate timing window. This works fine for 6E, but not for 58.

Ceasing the chatter altogether would avoid the need to have to get a packet in the "window", allowing the AutoProm to connect right up.

Is it possible?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
Changing this line from:
.word 0xC81C ; Time slot 4

To:
.word 0x0000 ; Time slot 4

will make the $58 BBZB go silent on the ALDL line. The ECM would spend less time in ALDL transmit mode. I don't know how the Autoprom works but I am guessing that it uses one PC serial link and transmits both ALDL data and emulator data on the single serial line. It must be giving priority to emulator data.

I would think that the Autoprom would receive a command from the PC requesting ALDL data. The Autoprom would send the request after receiving the ECM Polling request. The Autoprom would begin to fill an internal ALDL msg buffer while sending a "ALDL data ready" command to the PC. The PC would receive the ALDL data. Just making stuff up here, but that is one way to do it. The PC and need some sort of handshaking to keep things straight. I guess I am confused why a 7MHz+ plus processor can't meet the turn-around requirements of the ECM.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:33 PM

I just tried my autoprom again. I read to try mode 8 when I get a connect with no data. Is this the silence command? I dont see "mode 8" anywhere. I still could not connect in autoprom mode. I connect just fine in bypass/aldl mode.

I also decided to try it out on my vette, 165 ECM. I got the same results. Connects just fine in bypass, sometimes connecting in autoprom mode with error counts climbing rapidly. It seems to me I have 1)a bad autoprom 2) something not right with my computer 3) Im doing something wrong.

***Let me just confirm that the autoprom does not need to be connected by the ribbon cable to the ecm to scan the aldl stream in autoprom mode. I stated this above and nobody corrected me on it, is it correct?? ***

I just havent had the time to drop the ECM from the Typhoon yet. On the vette I have easier access to it but I figured if I didnt *need* to do it I wasnt going to. I am just trying to verify that my new toy is in working order. Maybe Monday I will get to the ECM in the Typhoon and give it a try.

On a side note, there is someone on SyTy.net that I PM'd, he says he connects just fine using his autoprom/$58. SOme people have all the luck I guess.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:48 PM
TGO Supporter

OK, let's take a step back:

1) If you have a chip in the ECM then you do not need to have the AutoProm hooked up via the ribbon when trying to log. If you do not have a chip in the ECM, then obviously the AutoProm needs to be hooked up via the ribbon.

2) Yes, the mode 8 command is the silence command.

3) It has already been stated that you probably won't be able to connect to your Typhoon in AutoProm mode. This is a known issue.

4) The guy who connected with the AutoProm probably connected in passthrough mode just like you've had success with.

5) The '165 should most definitely work in both passthrough and AutoProm mode. What year is your Vette? If it uses 160 baud then you need to make sure you have the latest firmware for the AutoProm. Get that here:
Documentation : Moates.Net

I hope this helps you.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:04 AM

My vette is an 85, but I swapped in a 165 about a year ago. Im running 6E. I thought that should hook up no problem from what everyone said.

I have had so many computer problems lately that I doubt everything computer related. If my laptop is connecting in bypass mode, then should I trust that the problem isnt my laptop or a setting like a firewall or antivirus? Ive got them turned off, but I just want to be sure.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:10 PM
TGO Supporter

If you have the latest firmware and can emulate with the AutoProm (i.e. TunerPro can communicate with the hardware, upload and downloiad data, burn a chip, etc), then the ALDL issue is likely not the AutoProm.

If you can log in passthrough, then your laptop is fine.

If both, then try connecting to your vette again, but hit the connect button a few times.

That it is not possible to connect in AutoProm mode to $58 is known.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:00 PM

I ahve not had time to try it on the vette yet, but Ive got the Typhoon using it now. Not ALDL and emulating at the same time, but emulating just fine and I can switch it over to scan. I questioned the SyTy.net autoprom user and he said he is doing what I am able to do, no more. I guess he misunderstood me or vise-versa, whatever. I am content now. At least I know everything is in working order and as good as it gets for us SyTy/$58 people.

Thanks for everyones help, and I look forward to the day that I can scan and emulate at the same time. What I have right now is still easier than anything Ive ever had before. This stuff is great!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by SBNova
At least I know everything is in working order and as good as it gets for us SyTy/$58 people.
Au contrare! It will get better. Stay tuned! (It's a clever catch phrase, no?)
Old 05-06-2006, 09:53 AM

Car: 85 Corvette
Engine: 355 Superram
Transmission: 700R4 Transgo Shift Kit
I got the Serial Autoprom to work with this USB to Serial Converter:

USB-COM-S: Saelig On-line Store

I think you need to install a usb driver from Moates in order to recognize the USB Autoprom.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:27 AM

Thanks bluevette, but my problem isnt a matter os being recognized. My Autoprom is functional, I just cannot scan ALDL **AND** emulate at the same time. I can do either independantly. They say its an issue with the 749/$58 code, not my computer or hardware.

I went through plenty of hard times with USB-serial converters in the past though. Thats why I upgraded to the USB autoprom.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
Originally Posted by Mangus
Au contrare! It will get better. Stay tuned! (It's a clever catch phrase, no?)
Yes, it will get better. Remember the 160-baud stuff and the AutoProm/TunerPro pairing? All fixed up nowadays. Actually been learning some slick techniques over on some other projects that are coming back to firmware improvements for the AP and such. The GM OBD1 stuff should benefit nicely, not to mention all of Mark's new innovations on the ALDL definition formatting.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:52 AM

Great! I am always glad to hear about improvements and inovations. You guys are incredible. I am satisfied with my autoprom the way it is. Its made tuning so much easier already. Even though its not full function in my application its still the best piece of prom equipment I own and worth every penny.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:50 PM

I am a newb at calibration changes (not to EFI) and have been helping a friend on a 93 Z28 (LT1). We also have problems trying to emulate and read ALDL simultaneously with Autoprom & TunerPro RT. Do we just need to be patient while Craig & Mark work out a final solution? Are there any temporary solutions that we can use? I was going to post a new question on this, but found this topic during a search. Thanks for a very informative message board!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:12 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by GregC
I am a newb at calibration changes (not to EFI) and have been helping a friend on a 93 Z28 (LT1). We also have problems trying to emulate and read ALDL simultaneously with Autoprom & TunerPro RT. Do we just need to be patient while Craig & Mark work out a final solution? Are there any temporary solutions that we can use? I was going to post a new question on this, but found this topic during a search. Thanks for a very informative message board!
Simultaneous logging and emulation works fine with the '93 LT1. The files you need are on Moates' web site (DA3).