DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Tuning with the EBL

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Tuning with the EBL

Originally Posted by zride91
I have a brand new 383 TPI that I installed and had initially started by the guy who built the motor. The initial startup was done with the OE computer, a Hypertec Prom adapter and a Prom burned by Kennedy's in Buffalo as a starter to make sure I didn't have any leaks, mechanical problems etc... The engine builder had originally set the timing, but did not set it to anything in particular, just set it to what made it run good. I have since got the EBL, installed it, pulled the info from the Prom Kenedy burned, and ran it in the EBL. I notice the initial timing on the startup chip was set to 5.98, which seems to be common with TPI tunes I have seen. I had verified what the car was actually set to, and I read 10.

I know I need to make a change, but does it matter if I change the timing or the tune? Is there a reason most TPI tunes I see have the initial timing set to 5.98? Is it just to match the sticker on the hood? Why is it not an even 6.00, who can set timing to that kind of accuracy?

Thanks
The resolution of the SA values in the calibration is 0.3515625 degrees. The calibration holds the initial SA as the value 17, which:

17 * 0.3515625 = 5.98* (rounded)

If the engine builder feels that 10* BTDC for the base setting is good, then change the calibration to match and flash it in.

The base timing is used during cranking, don't want the engine to kick back when hot, and don't want the engine to windmill and not catch when cold.

RBob.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 w/2800 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Awesome! Thank you BRob!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 7004R
Axle/Gears: 3.27/42 ?

Originally Posted by ownor
I'm gonna take a shot at this: on the AFR question, I think the tables display the "commanded AFR" values. If you think about open loop versus closed loop, in OL (and hence, PE as well) the O2 sensor is not used for feedback. In OL, the injector PW will be calculated but cannot really be checked or corrected by feedback. I think there is something like a 'backup correction' though, which will prevent the engine from running far too lean by reading the NBO2 sensor voltage and adding fuel, but it's not as sophisticated or predictable since it's not in the 14.7 range..
Therefore, OL/PE needs to be tuned with a WBO2. For the EBL, when doing WBO2 VE learns, VEL will compare the internally calculated commanded OL AFR to the WBO2 readings. BLM VEL can only be done in closed loop since it's using the NBO2 readings, which requires an AFR of around the stoichiometric 14.7 to make sense.
That's the way i understood it, anyways HTH

On the knock counts, I'm curious about the input you get here as I've sometimes experienced similar scenarios myself. Could imho be related to a variation in temperature (CTS, IAT, ambient) but also humidity, barometric pressure/altitude, etc... As said, I'm curious
That makes complete sense! Thanks for the explanation there!

"I think there is something like a 'backup correction' though, which will prevent the engine from running far too lean by reading the NBO2 sensor voltage and adding fuel, but it's not as sophisticated or predictable since it's not in the 14.7 range.."

Even though it may not matter, I am curious as to what/where this backup correction type setting is and how it actually works. I remember reading something about that too in which there is a reading is calculated right before going into OL or something like that.

Ty again!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
> Max SA: 31d

The "SA - Maximum SA" and "SA - Maximum SA Retard" are defined by the distributor. They shouldn't be changed unless you go to a DIS system or such. It is the maximum values that can be programmed into the distributor without it cross firing.

> Lastly, I was wondering what could be causing a really rich section during take off

Too much AE. Can see the volume of AE as the last column of the screenshot you posted. Not sure which calibration you started with, but lets assume for this example it was a stock one.

> FP/injectors: 80lbs at 18psi

That is about 94#/hr of fuel. Stock 5.7l is about 61#/hr, dividing 61 by 94 gives us:

61 / 94 = 0.65

So to start off with the AE in the general ballpark, multiply both of the AE PW tables (MAP & TPS) by .65

RBob.
Sorry for the confusion about the Max SA. I actually obtained the Max SA value from the highest SA point on my extended VE table lol basically my SA at WOT, should have been more specific on that one.

I will look into the AE and make the changes on that! I know that the AE tables are pretty modified from stock at the moment as my tune was a pretune done but I will try and see how that changes things and go from there. I know that the values at the higher end of my AE table seem to skyrocket from when I previously noticed them.

Will update soon.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ronny
10.9-11.3 A/F PE. you certainly are rich. shoot for 12.5. your VE table at 80-100 MAP probably has too high of values in it for 2400-3200 rpms
Yes, that is basically at take off or at least AE. Yet it looks like it stays there even after AE. Not sure if this is just because of the decay of the AE? because after the car starts moving after 1st gear, my WOT AFR stays a lot more steady at about the 12.5 range ... Not sure but I am going to get working on getting those WB values taken care of.

Thanks again for all the help! I will update soon.

Btw I am really thinking about that 4.3 v6 S10 vortec supercharger yet still need some more thoughts on if it will benefit performance enough before buying it and if it will require a 2-bar map sensor with the EBL. I dont know much about superchargers.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:08 PM

Car: 91rs,00outback,02f150screw rip wrx
Engine: lo3, 2.5,330ci
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Have a few questions. Like to also note that NY State Police Do not like EBL or any electronic devices in car while driving. Even if you are not touching it in any way. LOL

I have been trying to find out the source of spark knock in my vehicle as I believed it to be false because in the area that I get it I retarded timing 6 degrees with really no effect. Always in the same area so that leads me to believe that it cant be false though. I only have a water pump and alternator for things driven off the engine. I don't hear any noise from them. Plus exhaust does not rattle that I know, and there is ample clearance around it every where. I know I do get some knock at start up and shut down. This not worried about. If I dont hear any spark knock. How do I find the source of the assumed false knock exspecially if it only happens under load 1600rpm to 3600rpm from 80 to 100KPa. So no way to really listen for exhaust or accessories. I did turn on Option word 1 bit 0- BstNK. With no effect either. Al though it felt like it picked up slightly on power, but that could be false in it self. Un reliable but dino

I know the SA Initial is set at zero at idle as I double checked it the other day. Is it supposed to jump to 6 when above idle and the brown wire with black strip is disconnected? Could it be my harmonic balancer is off so I am reading 0 initial timing when in fact is may be higher. If I zero out the SA table in the area and it helps would this in fact prove that the old balancer is off? (Have not tried to zero the area out yet.)

I have seen other peoples SA tables with similar set ups and they actually advanced timing in the areas where I am getting this knock count.

Is it possible If I cant find the exact source of knock counts to lower it in any way if fake. Like change the filter setting, if so what should it be set to.

Maybe I need to have someone else look at a datalog maybe I am missing something. As I am not the greatest at this.

Also how to tune for WOT or close to it as VE Learns do not happen there is the only way to use a wide band O2
Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Napster134
Btw I am really thinking about that 4.3 v6 S10 vortec supercharger yet still need some more thoughts on if it will benefit performance enough before buying it and if it will require a 2-bar map sensor with the EBL. I dont know much about superchargers.
A 2-bar MAP is best but not a requirement. Boost is basically a HP multiplier.

RBob.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 91rscammie
Have a few questions. Like to also note that NY State Police Do not like EBL or any electronic devices in car while driving. Even if you are not touching it in any way. LOL

I have been trying to find out the source of spark knock in my vehicle as I believed it to be false because in the area that I get it I retarded timing 6 degrees with really no effect. Always in the same area so that leads me to believe that it cant be false though. I only have a water pump and alternator for things driven off the engine. I don't hear any noise from them. Plus exhaust does not rattle that I know, and there is ample clearance around it every where. I know I do get some knock at start up and shut down. This not worried about. If I dont hear any spark knock. How do I find the source of the assumed false knock exspecially if it only happens under load 1600rpm to 3600rpm from 80 to 100KPa. So no way to really listen for exhaust or accessories. I did turn on Option word 1 bit 0- BstNK. With no effect either. Al though it felt like it picked up slightly on power, but that could be false in it self. Un reliable but dino

I know the SA Initial is set at zero at idle as I double checked it the other day. Is it supposed to jump to 6 when above idle and the brown wire with black strip is disconnected? Could it be my harmonic balancer is off so I am reading 0 initial timing when in fact is may be higher. If I zero out the SA table in the area and it helps would this in fact prove that the old balancer is off? (Have not tried to zero the area out yet.)

I have seen other peoples SA tables with similar set ups and they actually advanced timing in the areas where I am getting this knock count.

Is it possible If I cant find the exact source of knock counts to lower it in any way if fake. Like change the filter setting, if so what should it be set to.

Maybe I need to have someone else look at a datalog maybe I am missing something. As I am not the greatest at this.

Also how to tune for WOT or close to it as VE Learns do not happen there is the only way to use a wide band O2
Most states don't want a laptop open where the driver can see the screen. What I do is to seat belt it in on the passenger seat, place a piece of foam on a solid area next to the keyboard, and close the lid down onto the foam. Leaves enough of a gap to keep the laptop from going into standby mode, and allows me to reach in and tap the space bar.

As for the knock, if you are removing SA and it stays the same, then it is likely false.

RBob.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the SA Initial is set at zero at idle as I double checked it the other day. Is it supposed to jump to 6 when above idle and the brown wire with black strip is disconnected?
SA initial set in .bin to zero then physically set idle SA to zero. This with ESC plug disconnected.
Once connected it will read the main SA table with modifiers. Most likely 20 deg ++.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Most states don't want a laptop open where the driver can see the screen. What I do is to seat belt it in on the passenger seat, place a piece of foam on a solid area next to the keyboard, and close the lid down onto the foam. Leaves enough of a gap to keep the laptop from going into standby mode, and allows me to reach in and tap the space bar.

As for the knock, if you are removing SA and it stays the same, then it is likely false.

RBob.
That's a pretty good Idea on the laptop, I have set mine up to stay up when the lid is closed. I will then pull over and open it. I got pulled over the other day for chirping my tires on take off, and It actually was open cops, didn't like it but I didn't get any tickets for anything. That's the first time for that though. I am now starting to feel the car get a little bit studery in the area that I am seeing spark knocks and still not sure how to resolve this issue.

Ronny- Already have done what you said, and I have double checked it many times.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:46 PM

Car: 84 TA / 89 Formula
Engine: LS1 / L03
Transmission: T56 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.27

For the SA when above idle with EST disconnected.. I believe there's also timing added by the ignition module. So depending on which exact one you have (imho they were different ones even when just looking at the various TBI models) there would be a specific SA added at particular engine speeds.

One thing I noticed is you said you have spark knock at 80-100kPA, but you also asked how to tune for WOT. So I'm assuming you haven't changed the VE tables much in that area. A lean mixture could lead to knocking (read: engine damage) as well, so need to watch out for that! Check your spark plugs!

I can't believe it's false knock over such a wide range (1600-3600 rpm) and due to the fact it's at high MAP.

Last edited by ownor; 06-09-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Car: 92 454SS
Engine: Supercharged 7.4L
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Lean Cruise Surge

Hey guys, I have a question regarding Lean Cruise. I can't seem to tune out a lean cruise surge no matter what settings I change. The surge seemly happens at random. Sometimes it will surge at cruise and other times its perfectly fine.

Here's what I've tried to resolve the issue: Setting max hiway AFR to 15.50, adding timing to the hiway SA table, zero'ing out the hiway SA table, dialing back the main SA table in the areas of cruise. Seems like no matter what the random surge happens.

Other things worth mentioning: Everything runs ok with hiway mode turned off. Even though my max target AFR is 15.50, I still see values upward of 16.90 sometimes. Additionally the surge seems to happen most frequently at lower speeds and lower loads (ie: 40mph at 38kpa). I don't get any knock counts during hiway mode...and my tune has pretty good VE coverage via WBO2 learns.

I've thought about simply enabling hiway mode at a higher mph, which would probably work out ok, but would like to know if there is anything I'm missing here? Or is the answer simply hiway mode works differently on different vehicles?

Attached is a log file of the event. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
learn-CR-event.txt (8.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 PM

For the SA when above idle with ESC disconnected.
EST/BYPASS disconnected. The ESC is the knock detection & reporting system.

RBob.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Re: Lean Cruise Surge

Originally Posted by dubwise
Hey guys, I have a question regarding Lean Cruise. I can't seem to tune out a lean cruise surge no matter what settings I change. The surge seemly happens at random. Sometimes it will surge at cruise and other times its perfectly fine.

Here's what I've tried to resolve the issue: Setting max hiway AFR to 15.50, adding timing to the hiway SA table, zero'ing out the hiway SA table, dialing back the main SA table in the areas of cruise. Seems like no matter what the random surge happens.

Other things worth mentioning: Everything runs ok with hiway mode turned off. Even though my max target AFR is 15.50, I still see values upward of 16.90 sometimes. Additionally the surge seems to happen most frequently at lower speeds and lower loads (ie: 40mph at 38kpa). I don't get any knock counts during hiway mode...and my tune has pretty good VE coverage via WBO2 learns.

I've thought about simply enabling hiway mode at a higher mph, which would probably work out ok, but would like to know if there is anything I'm missing here? Or is the answer simply hiway mode works differently on different vehicles?

Attached is a log file of the event. Thanks.
At low loads there is very little density to the mix in the chamber. Makes it difficult to light off. I've run into the same thing at low engine speed and load, and low vehicle speeds. Sorta' like a shudder and surging rolled into one.

Try making it richer in that MAP area via the "HiWy - AFR" table. If that doesn't work then bump up the MPH enable for highway mode.

RBob.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:26 PM

For the SA when above idle with ESC disconnected.. I believe there's also timing added by the ignition module. So depending on which exact one you have (imho they were different ones even when just looking at the various TBI models) there would be a specific SA added at particular engine speeds.

One thing I noticed is you said you have spark knock at 80-100kPA, but you also asked how to tune for WOT. So I'm assuming you haven't changed the VE tables much in that area. A lean mixture could lead to knocking (read: engine damage) as well, so need to watch out for that! Check your spark plugs!

I can't believe it's false knock over such a wide range (1600-3600 rpm) and due to the fact it's at high MAP.
No, have not manually changed fuel in that area but I have done about e 30 Ve Learns and now most stuff comes back 0 with no changes.

I am with you now in believing its not false as with option word 1 bit 0 bstkn. I started regarding stock tables and it seems I am getting less. I just don't understand why I would have to retard a stock table as much as 6 or more degrees. Could plugs be causing this because I am using e3 plugs and the size of the electrode cage when that gets hot and the inherit 305's tendency to spark knock due to heads and heat and you name it.

Last edited by 91rscammie; 06-06-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 K3500 Fleetside
Engine: RAT *tbi* EBL
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.73-Dana 60

It would not surprise me to see those plugs cause problems, try something normal.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM
TGO Supporter

Setting max hiway AFR to 15.50
I am at 18.0/1 for hyway cruise on my WB. Not sure what it is set to in .bin. I believe 18 to be correct as is reg CL I am seeing 14.7-15.0.

does anyone know what the leanest one can run before a lean surge occurs?
Old 06-09-2012, 01:09 PM

No, have not manually changed fuel in that area but I have done about e 30 Ve Learns and now most stuff comes back 0 with no changes.

I am with you now in believing its not false as with option word 1 bit 0 bstkn. I started regarding stock tables and it seems I am getting less. I just don't understand why I would have to retard a stock table as much as 6 or more degrees. Could plugs be causing this because I am using e3 plugs and the size of the electrode cage when that gets hot and the inherit 305's tendency to spark knock due to heads and heat and you name it.
Well on the VE Learns you mentioned.. Imho there's no way to get up in the higher MAP areas without having AE or PE put on, and thus VE BLM Learn will NOT cover these areas! So it's totally possible that you're lean up there IMO. You'd have to manually tune these areas or use WBO2 VE Learn!

Could be a problem on the plugs as pointed out, but don't know about that myself. Suggesting to just change to some standard R44/45TS Delcos or whatever

EST/BYPASS disconnected. The ESC is the knock detection & reporting system.

RBob.
Thanks on the correction Bob! Btw, care to explain how the AFR's can be adjusted in OL during PE for lean compensation, when it's not using the NBO2 for feedback control? Also wondering if you had a word on SA being added by just the module with EST bypassed.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Well on the VE Learns you mentioned.. Imho there's no way to get up in the higher MAP areas without having AE or PE put on, and thus VE BLM Learn will NOT cover these areas! So it's totally possible that you're lean up there IMO. You'd have to manually tune these areas or use WBO2 VE Learn!

Could be a problem on the plugs as pointed out, but don't know about that myself. Suggesting to just change to some standard R44/45TS Delcos or whatever
I manually changed the Ve table up some and it also helped lower spark knocks. I don't under stand what your saying about no way for VE learns to learn there as it seems to change the numbers throughout that entire area except 100KPa.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 camaro irocz
Engine: l98 tpi
Axle/Gears: 2.77

i run 16.0 a/f on highway cruise . i didn't know you could go as lean as 18.0 a/f
Old 06-09-2012, 06:33 PM

No, have not manually changed fuel in that area
I manually changed the Ve table up some
..maybe it's just me but i find this rather contradictory BLM learns imho can't take place if PowerEnrich or AccelEnrich is on, which it will always be when you get on the throttle...
Hmm, otherwise you're doing Wideband VE Learns already and I missed that indication If you're stuck with Narrowband O2 sensor & BLM, then IMHO there's no way to learn these areas because you won't be in the stoich AFR range (14.7) and there's not really a way to interpret data from the narrowband sensor once off this value. Also, for BLM VE Learn @ rpm > 3600 you'd have to change the BLM - RPM Learn Threshold value.

Originally Posted by freaky
i run 16.0 a/f on highway cruise . i didn't know you could go as lean as 18.0 a/f
was thinking the same here! 18.0:1 is really lean imho
Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 AM

Car: '90 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4 Z71 shortbed standard cab
Engine: GM Performance Vortec 350, LT1 cam, headers, exhaust
Transmission: suped up 700r4

Both my TCC and OD indicators are off intermittently, happening independently of each other. Gear position shows D mostly when in overdrive. TCC indicator is on or off apparantly at random when my 700r4 locks up normally. Any ideas? TIA
'90 gmc sierra 5.7 4x4
Old 06-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Btw, care to explain how the AFR's can be adjusted in OL during PE for lean compensation, when it's not using the NBO2 for feedback control? Also wondering if you had a word on SA being added by just the module with EST bypassed.
When in PE mode the ECM goes open loop and uses the richer of two AFR values. It will be the value from the PE AFR table (versus RPM). Or the value from the open loop AFR table (versus RPM & vacuum).

RBob.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by BADAZZ71
Both my TCC and OD indicators are off intermittently, happening independently of each other. Gear position shows D mostly when in overdrive. TCC indicator is on or off apparantly at random when my 700r4 locks up normally. Any ideas? TIA
'90 gmc sierra 5.7 4x4
For the D & OD indicators may need to flip an option flag in the calibration. Do this: connect WUD, key-on, engine-off (or on), foot on brake and move shifter to one of the forward gear positions. The indicator on the WUD should show D.

If it shows OD, flip this flag:

Option Word 2 - Bit 5 - HiGrH

By flip, if set then unset it. If unset then set it.

As for the TCC, that indicator is the ECM commanding the TCC to lock. So unless the TCC in the trans is not under ECM control (it should be), then it is showing when it is being locked. Foot off the throttle will usually cause the ECM to unlock the TCC.

RBob.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:31 AM

When in PE mode the ECM goes open loop and uses the richer of two AFR values. It will be the value from the PE AFR table (versus RPM). Or the value from the open loop AFR table (versus RPM & vacuum).

RBob.
I see. So there's no way it uses the NBO2 for any AFR or PW correction in PE, is that right? It's just real open loop without any kind of feedback.
Btw, I was wondering why is that OL AFR table in VAC and not MAP like all others?

I have some other questions i came across while tuning yesterday night.

When tuning AE & PE, i noticed that the resolution in the XDF/BIN for the MAP & TPS PW is pretty rough... like i had it at 122µsec and the next values would have been like 61 and 183 or something like that (would indicate a resolution of ~61µsec for that PW tables).

I was also wondering how you would tune your idle state parameters. Do you want the least in RPM, MAP, AFR, SA while getting a smooth run? What do you really tune for is basically my question. It might be easier with the L03 now but prolly not with a future more cammy engine.

I have a problem where my computer will detect the EBL as serial PS/2 mouse when i plug in the USB port and the mouse pointer will go all wild darting and clicking across the screen.. any way to fix that? replugging to another USB port doesn't always work and it's kinda annoying
Old 06-10-2012, 11:12 AM

In PE mode the current BLM is used if it is above 128. That could be considered an adjustment due to O2 feedback. But it isn't actively changing anything from the O2 feedback while in PE.

> Btw, I was wondering why is that OL AFR table in VAC and not MAP like all others?

Has to do with elevation changes. It takes the barometric pressure out of the desired AFR value to use.

> I was also wondering how you would tune your idle state parameters. Do you want the

For idle, set the desired RPM at a reasonable value. This is based mainly on the cam and whether it is an auto or stick. For SA, again, a reasonable value. Many claim that it should be adjusted for maximum vacuum. But this ends up being too much which causes other issues.

Mainly a 'floaty' idle speed and the inability to close off the throttle blades to bring the RPM down.

Then for AFR, whatever makes the engine happy. Mostly for a smooth idle. Proportional gains can be an issue once the injector size starts to increase. Trick here is to reduce the gain, and also slow down the INT update rate.

> I have a problem where my computer will detect the EBL as serial PS/2 mouse when
> i plug in the USB port and the mouse pointer will go all wild darting

Yep, Windows thinks it is a mouse or other pointing device. Ain't Windows great? The only thing you can do is to either unplug the cable or key-off before booting up the laptop.

RBob.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Hi, I'm in the process of trying to confirm if I have false knock or actual knock, and I could use some input. This weekend I ran several VE learns, and I noticed knocking, so I backed off on SA in these areas which didn't seem to do much.... not sure however, so I went back to the original P4 3005.bin and re ran the bin with no modifications, and did a data log which I will attach for review. I even had knock counts using this first .bin file, which should be fairly "on" for my motor in the SA table???
the 3005.bin is extremely rich at idle and low speed which learn VE imediately pulled out what I thought to be a high volume of fuel the first few learns I did saturday. RBOB, I'll send the .dat file to your email directly... its too big to post

specs:
1987 Gen I 350 crate motor
SD TPI pieced together - originally purchased from now defunkt customefis.com
mild RV cam, Corvette Ram horns 2.5 inch collectors 2 into 1 3.5 inch exhaust.
EBL P4 with TT-1 on ADC 0

I pulled the sparkplugs and attempted to confirm any "black specs" on the porcaline (sp) but only saw fouling. On the right/left rear cylinder the porcaline was toasty brown, but the others were bright white.
first picture is a Front cylinder example, second picture is a Rear cylinder example. Can anyone see anything wrong with these plugs? Am I looking at false knock or real knock???
Attached Thumbnails Tuning with the EBL-100_4038.jpg   Tuning with the EBL-100_4041.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
baseline for SK 6-10-12.zip (251.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 AM

RBob,
thanks for your comments!
Actually quite smart on both of the BLM/PE as well as the VAC/BARO thing.. is that the way it is implemented in standard C3 ECMs too?

On idle tuning.. what i'm not sure i get is the way how IAC & SA work together to attain a certain idle rpm, but i think both are influencing idle rpm, no? The way i understand it is that idle state SA will also affect how steady or surging your idle rpm is, like when thinking of the way the low & high idle compensation tables work (could this be seen as the prop gains for idle control?).
What's a reasonable MAP value for a cold, warming up and warmed up idle with the L03? I'm not hunting down a bad idle at all anymore, just looking for something to compare to.

And yeah, talk about windows being smart

Any comment regarding the AE & PE PW resolution?

I have one more Q on the bathtub VE curve and injector compensation.. Do you think i need more? Any other inputs are well appreciated too ^^

Last edited by ownor; 06-11-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by pfreer3
Hi, I'm in the process of trying to confirm if I have false knock or actual knock, and I could use some input. This weekend I ran several VE learns, and I noticed knocking, so I backed off on SA in these areas which didn't seem to do much.... not sure however, so I went back to the original P4 3005.bin and re ran the bin with no modifications, and did a data log which I will attach for review. I even had knock counts using this first .bin file, which should be fairly "on" for my motor in the SA table???
the 3005.bin is extremely rich at idle and low speed which learn VE imediately pulled out what I thought to be a high volume of fuel the first few learns I did saturday. RBOB, I'll send the .dat file to your email directly... its too big to post

specs:
1987 Gen I 350 crate motor
SD TPI pieced together - originally purchased from now defunkt customefis.com
mild RV cam, Corvette Ram horns 2.5 inch collectors 2 into 1 3.5 inch exhaust.
EBL P4 with TT-1 on ADC 0

I pulled the sparkplugs and attempted to confirm any "black specs" on the porcaline (sp) but only saw fouling. On the right/left rear cylinder the porcaline was toasty brown, but the others were bright white.
first picture is a Front cylinder example, second picture is a Rear cylinder example. Can anyone see anything wrong with these plugs? Am I looking at false knock or real knock???
I don't see any signs of knock on the plugs. Although it looks like you could go a heat range colder. The bone white is normal for an engine that is being run in closed loop.

It does appear that there is some oil being pulled into the chambers. From where is a good question. PCV, valve stem seals, lower intake gasket from lifter valley.

RBob.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 AM

RBob,
thanks for your comments!
Actually quite smart on both of the BLM/PE as well as the VAC/BARO thing.. is that the way it is implemented in standard C3 ECMs too?
I believe that they are. Most likely all of the GM firmware does the BLM/PE thing. It is just a safe way to do it.

On idle tuning.. what i'm not sure i get is the way how IAC & SA work together to attain a certain idle rpm, but i think both are influencing idle rpm, no? The way i understand it is that idle state SA will also affect how steady or surging your idle rpm is, like when thinking of the way the low & high idle compensation tables work (could this be seen as the prop gains for idle control?).
What's a reasonable MAP value for a cold, warming up and warmed up idle with the L03? I'm not hunting down a bad idle at all anymore, just looking for something to compare to.
The IAC does the bulk of the work, with the SA compensation preventing a rolling idle.

And yeah, talk about windows being smart

Any comment regarding the AE & PE PW resolution?
The resolution of 61 usec is due to the CTS compensation. Need a lot more AE at cold temperatures. To get enough range of AE PW, resolution takes a hit.

I have one more Q on the bathtub VE curve and injector compensation.. Do you think i need more? Any other inputs are well appreciated too ^^
That isn't the bathtub curve that is due to injector compensation. What causes what is in the image is that corner of the VE table doesn't get learned in. Just need to take a minute and flatten it out in Tuner Pro. Intro to Tuning Part2 shows this (about halfway down the page).

What happens when the injector compensation is too low, is that the VE starts to curve back up at low loads (low KPa) through most of the RPM range. This is from the PW getting small and the VE table making up for not enough injector compensation.

RBob.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Car: 87 Suburban 2500
Engine: 455 Wildcat ( somewhat modified ))
Transmission: TH400 ( for now )
Axle/Gears: 4.10 ( for now )

Originally Posted by Napster134
Thanks for all the info, Cflick!
Your welcome.
What I am attempting to achieve is an overall good driving car, I want my low end cruising speeds to be gas savers and I want my WOT runs to bring the most out of the engine. The car is basically used for all around dd fun/weekend racing. Overall my goal was to get about 400 hp/tq out of my engine from when I decided to build it.
Do-able, but it'll take a good deal of tuning to get all that. Patience will be your watch word.

Now for my questions:

PE-AFR Commanded
Open Loop - AFR vs RPM & VAC

I noticed the values in these tables are in WB values. The NB sensor is what these cars came with so im wondering how does the ECM know how to get the AFR set in these tables ? Does it convert the NB values to these values ? or are they only used when a WB is in place?
The ECM knows a few things.
It knows that the NB sensor can indicate TWO things.
1. That the AFR is currently richer than 14.7
2. That the AFR is currently leaner than 14.7

It can then know that if it attempts to deliver 14.8 and the NB says leaner than 14.7, and it then attempts to deliver 14.6 and the NB says richer than 14.7, it's probably very close.
Based on that, it can calculate that the value it thinks is 14.7 requires X injector time for the current MAP, TPS, etc. that if one ( or more ) of those changes, it can make an educated guess as to what 14.7 would be, and again check and adjust.
The INT and BLM work off of just these trial and error calculations.
The ECM builds a BLM value, a correction factor, for the VE table, so it "knows" how to generate a 14.7 AFR for all of those cells.

Based on that, when something like PE commands a 12.x AFR, the ECM makes an educated guess as to what injector timing should make that number, and that the NB should indicate rich, and takes it's best shot.
It's probably close.

The EBL, being more intelligent than your average ECM, is also able to double-check it's guess against a WB, and that's what VE Learn does.
Check, and correct, so that the next time the EBL guesses the injector timing for those conditions, it'll be closer.

Does this help ?

After my first spark removal of about 3d in the areas near 4400, I tested again and the knocks were greatly reduced.
Then Removed another degree in area and the knocks were almost gone and I left it there.
Then tested again a few hours later and a whole bunch of knock counts came back ??? :/ Could this be an indicator of false knock?
More likely an indication that something else changed.
Octane of the fuel, temperature, ( engine is cooler, and commanded AFR based on temperature ( one of many parameters ) is different ) or the like.

False knock, a mechanical noise that the sensor picks up, is a mechanical thing strictly, so is more likely to always occur under the same mechanical conditions, regardless of spark timing, or fuel.
The indication of false knock is that spark advance has absolutely no affect on the knock, but does cause performance to change, such as taking out ten degrees and while the engine falls flat, the knock indication is still present.

A further thought would be that you're still several degrees too far advanced !
Remember, you want the LEAST advance that produces the MOST performance, and not one degree more.
Once you're "in the zone" 4 degrees or so would produce about 1% performance difference.
Outside the zone, the performance difference, or the knock, is much, much more.

Lastly, I was wondering what could be causing a really rich section durring take off that my WB is seeing.
Depends how rich, and for how long ?
PE should cause such an indication, but if the WB does indicate what PE is commanding, then it's telling you that things are working correctly as programmed.

Here is a data log of the take off, I have many more logs of my WOT runs as well.
When I get time, if someone else hasn't hit it first.

I feel as though I would be better off recording times starting from a roll as that would eliminate any take off variances?
Best advice there would be to tune for the way it will be driven !
I'm not sure you'd be eliminating variances as much as changing one kind for another.

Last edited by Cflick; 06-11-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: A further thought...
Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by freaky
AT 18:1 you should be WELL into misfire, and able to generate at best about 30% power *if* it lights at all.

Best economy should happen something close to 16:1, *if* your engine can run there.
For me, it's around 15.7:1 provided it's close to no load.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM

For the SA when above idle with EST disconnected.. I believe there's also timing added by the ignition module. So depending on which exact one you have (imho they were different ones even when just looking at the various TBI models) there would be a specific SA added at particular engine speeds.
You are mostly correct.

Mine, the spark module ( in the distributor ) generates a spark when it sees the pulse from the crank position indicator. ( can be a crank trigger, or trigger wheel in the dist )
This is what starts the engine when spinning on the starter.

When it sees a pulse on the command wire from the ECM, it uses that instead, ALWAYS.
At that point, the module ignores it's built in advance completely.
My TBI EBL Flash this occurs at 400 RPM, which is just slightly above what the starter itself is capable of.

If it doesn't see any pulses from the ECM, I forget the exact numbers but it's something like 1800 RPM it adds 12 degrees, and stays there. This is a limp mode intended to get the vehicle off the road, nothing more. ( factory base timing is supposed to be at TDC. No advance at all ) The numbers for your module may be different, but the principal is the same.

Disconnecting the connector to set timing essentially tells the system to run on the module ONLY for spark, so you can set distributor position such that the physical base timing matches exactly what's programmed into the ECM. It prevents the ECM from commanding spark, in case the idle wanders a bit. Spark will remain static.
If you raise the RPM, at some point you'll see the built in limp mode advance kick in.

My engine likes 10 degrees crank, hot or cold, rich or lean, so that's where I set base.
The ECM can then command up to an additional 44 degrees advance ( I set my max at an additional 42, to allow a little safety. At 45 it WILL cross fire ) for a maximum available to the ECM of 52 degrees total advance.
Of course, spark tables and such never get that far.
Coincidentally ( yeah, right ) the advance where the engine spends the vast majority of it's time ( around 30-32 degrees ) has the rotor perfectly lined up with the post.
( drill a hole in the cap, and watch it with a timing light )
Limp mode would be the 10 base plus the 12 the module is capable of, for a maximum limp mode spark advance of 22 degrees, a reasonable number.
The ECM can also mechanically command up to 44 degrees or so retard from that base, so as late as 36 degrees AFTER TDC, if conditions would warrant. ( not possible. It won't run there, but it allows the ECM a pretty wide range to fight detonation ) I think my max retard is programmed at 15 degrees ATDC or some such.

Whatever number you choose for your base mechanical setting, it is important that it match the base setting in the ECM, else your WUD will be wrong, as well as all of the numbers in all of your spark tables.

The objective, as Rbob says, is pick a number that reliably starts the engine, and EBL will take it from there, according to the tables and such as you program them.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 PM

The way i understand it is that idle state SA will also affect how steady or surging your idle rpm is, like when thinking of the way the low & high idle compensation tables work
It can, and that's why there's an idle mode spark setting different from the main spark table.

Be aware, though, that if the idle surges enough to take the RPM out of the idle spark RPM range, the ECM can switch to the main spark table, and if too different, make the surge worse. Possibly much worse.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM

The resolution of 61 usec is due to the CTS compensation. Need a lot more AE at cold temperatures. To get enough range of AE PW, resolution takes a hit.

That isn't the bathtub curve that is due to injector compensation. What causes what is in the image is that corner of the VE table doesn't get learned in. Just need to take a minute and flatten it out in Tuner Pro. Intro to Tuning Part2 shows this (about halfway down the page).

RBob.
Get the point about resolution and range. Though I'm still not sure there's enough resolution to dial in AE PW nicely enough, just got me wondering? Maybe I'm just wrong tho and it's already such a small amount of PW added through AE as you said when it's warmed up, that it doesnt make a huge difference wether it's 61, 122 or 180 µsec...

On the non-bathtub matter How is that (which, actually?) area not learned in? It's been always giving me VE correction values - kinda strange, unstable ones, tho - for 20 kPA through all the rpms.. I'll take a look at Intro to Tuning PartII though.

In WUD, do the aPW and sPW indicators show the net injector pulse width, so without the injector corrections etc? Also, roughly what's the minimum net PW that our TBI injectors can actually implement?

Originally Posted by Cflick
The objective, as Rbob says, is pick a number that reliably starts the engine, and EBL will take it from there, according to the tables and such as you program them.
Great informative posting. On that quoted part, could one assume that start-up behaviour with EST disconnected is a valid characteristic/evaluation method for dialing in base SA?

You guys are being a great help. Thanks again for your elaborations
Andi
Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 PM

It does appear that there is some oil being pulled into the chambers. From where is a good question. PCV, valve stem seals, lower intake gasket from lifter valley.

RBob.
Could it be caused by me idling the motor for almost an hour at BLM's around 108 could it?
PCV is plugged, stem seals should be new...
I'll inspect them when I re adjust the valves. I think the valves could be giving me the false knock, got a slight tick on the passenger bank...
I also ordered all new gaskets, and I don't want to, but I can pull the intake off again to check the lower gasket

Also ordered new adjustable FP reg & FP sensor.... should be a while before I can get it all installed.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Car: '90 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4 Z71 shortbed standard cab
Engine: GM Performance Vortec 350, LT1 cam, headers, exhaust
Transmission: suped up 700r4

Ok...I'm seeing ground at ECM pin A7 right when the TCC engages but WUD shows TCC intermittently.
HiGrH is set correctly. I also back probed pin C7 and saw battery voltage. Just a 1 volt drop occurs when it shifts into OD. I found that when I touch the brake pedal while in overdrive, WUD will show OD and C7 goes to 0.3 volts! But in park, pressing brake only lowers C7 0.05v from battery voltage. I need to get the wiring diagram...but so far from this it seems to me like the OD issue is not inside EBL/WUD and the TCC issue could be.
Will either issue affect vehicle operation or just instrumentation? (Can I forget it for now haha) Thanks!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by pfreer3
Could it be caused by me idling the motor for almost an hour at BLM's around 108 could it?
PCV is plugged, stem seals should be new...
I'll inspect them when I re adjust the valves. I think the valves could be giving me the false knock, got a slight tick on the passenger bank...
I also ordered all new gaskets, and I don't want to, but I can pull the intake off again to check the lower gasket

Also ordered new adjustable FP reg & FP sensor.... should be a while before I can get it all installed.
It could have occurred while still in open loop. Once in closed loop the INT/BLM corrected the AFR. I wouldn't pull the intake just yet. Get the tune closer and swap in another set of plugs (standard ones, the $1.79 kind).

Then see how they are after additional driving.

RBob.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by BADAZZ71
Ok...I'm seeing ground at ECM pin A7 right when the TCC engages but WUD shows TCC intermittently.
HiGrH is set correctly. I also back probed pin C7 and saw battery voltage. Just a 1 volt drop occurs when it shifts into OD. I found that when I touch the brake pedal while in overdrive, WUD will show OD and C7 goes to 0.3 volts! But in park, pressing brake only lowers C7 0.05v from battery voltage. I need to get the wiring diagram...but so far from this it seems to me like the OD issue is not inside EBL/WUD and the TCC issue could be.
Will either issue affect vehicle operation or just instrumentation? (Can I forget it for now haha) Thanks!
It does sound like there is a wiring issue under the pan. Pressing the brake pedal interrupts the +12 volts going to the TCC solenoid. The other side of the solenoid is grounded by the ECM (pin A7) to engage the TCC.

The 4th gear switch grounds the ECM pin at C7 (can be for OD, or not in OD. Depends upon which switch is used).

It may be that the 4th gear switch is also wired to enable the TCC solenoid. Although this is a user mod, I don't believe GM ever did that with ECM controlled TCC solenoids.

Some 700R4's have a temperature switch. Once the fluid gets too hot it will engage the TCC solenoid by grounding it.

For the calibration, be sure that it is one set up for the 700R4 transmission.

RBob.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:41 PM
TGO Supporter

My HiWy AFR is set to 16.6-15.0 depending on MAP. My wideband, as stated, is at times as low as 18.0/1. When in CL I see 14.7-15.0. I believe 18.0/1 then must be correct.

My DE Enleanment factor is .62 which I beleive is 14.7 + .62 or 15.32.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 camaro irocz
Engine: l98 tpi
Axle/Gears: 2.77

my HiWy afr is set the same as yours but my wideband shows anwhere from 14.7 to 16.0 a/f . most of the time it hovers around 15.8 . on de mine goes in the 17's so i guess ours are about the same
Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM

It could have occurred while still in open loop.
RBob.
Ok, that makes sense... I ran 2-3 20 min learns (unmodified, or slightly) in open loop...

I just thought it was fouling based on how rich it was running for long period, I have had the oil burn problem before, which turned out to be my miss assembly of the valve seals.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 428 Likes on 368 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by Cflick
AT 18:1 you should be WELL into misfire, and able to generate at best about 30% power *if* it lights at all.

Best economy should happen something close to 16:1, *if* your engine can run there.
For me, it's around 15.7:1 provided it's close to no load.
I think its funny you say this, it really depends on the ignition system and chamber design and engine load. My 5.7 Hemi with two spark plugs per cylinder and coil on plug setup has no problem powering a truck down the road at 45-75 mph with the mixture in the 17.5-18:1 range. I get about 20-22 mpg running that speed with 4.56 gears and 32" tall tires with a .67 OD, I am turning 2,500 RPM @ 80 and pulling about 14-18 in/hg vacuum. When the truck switches to 4 cylinder mode, the vacuum falls to about 8-12 in/hg and the mixture richens to 15:1. In MDS 4 cylinder mode at about 70 mph, I pull and 2-3 mpg out of it.

Last edited by Fast355; 06-12-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:44 AM
TGO Supporter

This morning I datalogged and found HY Mode just as commanded in my .bin !
Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fast355
I think its funny you say this, it really depends on the ignition system and chamber design and engine load.
To a point, yes, but 20:1 gasoline won't burn anymore, even though my WB sometimes likes to suggest it's running there. It just chemically can't happen.
You are correct, though, in that at some point on the curve, all the gasoline needs to do is keep the engine from slowing down under it's own internal friction. At that point, slightly richer than "will just barely burn" might be enough, if it will light.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 AM

Great informative posting. On that quoted part, could one assume that start-up behaviour with EST disconnected is a valid characteristic/evaluation method for dialing in base SA?
That's essentially what I did with mine, then adjust for rotor/pole position and such to minimize the possibilities for cross fire, how it would drive in limp mode, and such.
Set this way, my engine rarely completes a single revolution before it's running. Yours may want something different.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 AM

Get the point about resolution and range. Though I'm still not sure there's enough resolution to dial in AE PW nicely enough, just got me wondering? Maybe I'm just wrong tho and it's already such a small amount of PW added through AE as you said when it's warmed up, that it doesnt make a huge difference wether it's 61, 122 or 180 µsec...
I just noticed that i had only been looking at the value in the first row, since i was scaling the whole AE PW tables... this is the one at 0 dTPS (what's that used for anyways? to interpolate for dTPS values between 0 and 10 dTPS?), so naturally it would be rather small while the one at highest dTPS (90, or 100 even?) was at 5000 µsec and then some...
so of course 61µsec is kinda insignificant in that range, and guess it won't be much different for AE in cold conditions. Just a heads up to settle this, or in case anyone found themselves wondering the same
Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Interesting what you guys were discussing about the lean burn highway cruise AFRs... I have a question tho, is that on standard tunes or DIY/modified ones (@Fast's Hemi, for instance)? Cause IIRC, at these AFRs the NOx emissions, among others, will be, well... obNOxious
Old 06-13-2012, 10:51 AM
TGO Supporter

Ownor commented:
I datalogged today at 3600-6000 rpms. Since throttle was 24-48% TPS I never hit PE. AE yes. MAP ran 43-67. BLM changed from 119 initial to 122. INT initial 127 to 122. CL flag stayed on. No learn occurred due to AE and DE(at end of run).

However I had BLM data to use and modify VE table with. I chose not to mod the table.

I believe I could have hit higher MAP but road was flat 1200ft>sea level.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am/85 K5 Jimmy
Engine: 406 FIRST/350 TPI
Transmission: TKO 600/700R4
Axle/Gears: 9Bolt/10Bolt front & back

Had a few questions for you guys. My speedo is currently off about 15mph's. It says 60 when I'm going 75(got a ticket because of this). Well I am wondering if this is going to have any effects on my tuning. I am going to try and find out what gearing I have in the rear end so I can order the correct speedo gears. Another weird thing is that on the WUD the speedo on it is about 5mph off(higher) of what the cars speedo says. So in the end the ECM thinks I am going about 10mph slower then I really am.

Another thing I am having issues with is my Y-pipe. Well it sits REALLY low when the drivers side comes from the header and goes below my oil pan. Ive bottomed out multiple times and after having to drive down a gravel back road yesterday I think I have messed it up even more because the car seems louder. Should I hold off on doing any tuning until I get the y-pipe fixed? My low speed VE table is looking really good so it isnt like I am way off on the tune. THe high speed table is coming along good as well.

Quick Reply: Tuning with the EBL