DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Tuning with the EBL

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 01:17 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am/85 K5 Jimmy
Engine: 406 FIRST/350 TPI
Transmission: TKO 600/700R4
Axle/Gears: 9Bolt/10Bolt front & back
Re: Tuning with the EBL

Well I confirmed the ECM is the issue today. Took the ECM out to my dads to toss in my TPI converted Jimmy and it is doing the same thing in it. So it’s not an issue on the harness side of things.

@RBob I emailed you Friday about my original issue. I guess now we can skip the troubleshooting phase. Is it possible to repair the ECM or am I looking at needing to replace it?

Last edited by dabomb6608; 08-06-2024 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2024, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question about the TT-1 W.B. I have a kit that Im finally going to install and set up with the Flash ll. Question is what have any of you been using for a wide band
0-5v display gauge connected to the Channel B output for displaying on a dash mounted gauge? It looks like all the ones I see are either for a narrow band or a complete
kit for a wide band sensor and controller built into the gauge unit.
Thanks for any input
Byron
Old 08-05-2024, 07:43 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Byron454
I have a question about the TT-1 W.B. I have a kit that Im finally going to install and set up with the Flash ll. Question is what have any of you been using for a wide band
0-5v display gauge connected to the Channel B output for displaying on a dash mounted gauge? It looks like all the ones I see are either for a narrow band or a complete
kit for a wide band sensor and controller built into the gauge unit.
Thanks for any input
Byron
Years ago I purchased the very cheap Prosport EVO Wideband o2 kit with gauge. Down the road I ended up purchasing a Innovate LC-2 kit without gauge. I still run the Prosport EVO Gauge with the LC-2 sending its data to it. If I remember right I had to go into the settings on the LC-2 software to get the 0-5V 10-20 AFR interpolation correct so that I matched on my EBL WUD and gauge. This was because the LC-2 is 0V = 7.35 AFR and 5V = 22.39 AFR out of the box. Whereas the Prosport gauge is setup for 0V = 10 AFR and 5V = 20 AFR. It was simply a matter of changing the analog output settings of the LC-2 and making sure my EBL WUD is also setup for the same Voltage to AFR values.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dabomb6608
Years ago I purchased the very cheap Prosport EVO Wideband o2 kit with gauge. Down the road I ended up purchasing a Innovate LC-2 kit without gauge. I still run the Prosport EVO Gauge with the LC-2 sending its data to it. If I remember right I had to go into the settings on the LC-2 software to get the 0-5V 10-20 AFR interpolation correct so that I matched on my EBL WUD and gauge. This was because the LC-2 is 0V = 7.35 AFR and 5V = 22.39 AFR out of the box. Whereas the Prosport gauge is setup for 0V = 10 AFR and 5V = 20 AFR. It was simply a matter of changing the analog output settings of the LC-2 and making sure my EBL WUD is also setup for the same Voltage to AFR values.
Thanks thats good information. I will see if I can order just the gauge from prosport evo. Sounds like it would work for me.

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi

So I have a new question.... I'm tuning my 92 K1500 with a tpi swap (ebl port mod) and I've noticed that when I go from drive to park my idle goes up to around 1400rpms and then it takes about ten or so seconds for it to slowly idle down to around 850 rpms. Is that something with the IAC I need to tune?
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 222 Likes on 192 Posts

Sounds like the IAC is not closing fast enough.

What might help is lowering the amount of IAC steps to the bare minimum in park/neutral by opening the throttle blades a bit. On my 7730 (non-EBL) I run roughly about 5 steps in p/n. It also minimizes the number of steps required in gear. I've found that overall that seems to calm down the idle speed behavior a bit.

Also I only have about ~50 rpm added to idle speed in p/n, again to minimize that kind of jumpy behavior.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

Location: Franklin, KY near Beech Bend Raceway, Corvette Plant and Museum.
Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 5.0L L03 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

@RBob Ain't died or anything has he? He has just fell off the face of the Earth since July 20th. I hope he is OK. I know it sounds morbid but I looked at the contact info for his business then looked there and at the surrounding areas for Obituaries from July 20th and newer. I didn't see anyone I thought might be him but I don't know how good my search was of the surrounding areas and he might live further away than I thought from his business address.
Old Today, 07:19 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by robertfrank
So I have a new question.... I'm tuning my 92 K1500 with a tpi swap (ebl port mod) and I've noticed that when I go from drive to park my idle goes up to around 1400rpms and then it takes about ten or so seconds for it to slowly idle down to around 850 rpms. Is that something with the IAC I need to tune?
What is the split between your Idle Speed: Park/Neutral and your Idle Speed: Drive? You also should look at the IAC - Park to Drive steps. I know in the base bins (or at least 3005) it is only 1 step added. Maybe you changed yours unknowingly?
Old Today, 07:25 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Airwolfe
@RBob Ain't died or anything has he? He has just fell off the face of the Earth since July 20th. I hope he is OK. I know it sounds morbid but I looked at the contact info for his business then looked there and at the surrounding areas for Obituaries from July 20th and newer. I didn't see anyone I thought might be him but I don't know how good my search was of the surrounding areas and he might live further away than I thought from his business address.
That actually wasn't the worst idea to look into. You hate to think the worst but at this point it is certainly very odd to at least not even have a status update from him.

I wonder if other mods have the ability to see the last time he was logged into his account? I know you can select whether that is public or not.
Old Today, 08:24 AM

Location: Franklin, KY near Beech Bend Raceway, Corvette Plant and Museum.
Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 5.0L L03 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by dabomb6608
I wonder if other mods have the ability to see the last time he was logged into his account? I know you can select whether that is public or not.
I have wondered about this also. It would be nice to know that he might be lurking around and is OK. I hope something nice has happened like he found a new amazing woman and they run off for awhile to a tropical paradise together or maybe he just got tired of all of this for awhile and run off on a multiple months long deep sea fishing trip.

I hate to think something bad happened to him. Like he fell in the shower, his cats ate him and no one has found his body yet.
Old Today, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by robertfrank
I'm tuning my 92 K1500 with a tpi swap (ebl port mod) and I've noticed that when I go from drive to park my idle goes up to around 1400rpms and then it takes about ten or so seconds for it to slowly idle down to around 850 rpms. Is that something with the IAC I need to tune?
There are two areas that you need to tweak...;

IAC - Run to Idle Down Delay
IAC - Idle Down Rate

- Rob
Old Today, 09:00 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
There are two areas that you need to tweak...;

IAC - Run to Idle Down Delay
IAC - Idle Down Rate

- Rob
Both of those are startup parameters no?

IAC - Run to Idle Down Delay: Delay from engine run until IAC starts the Idle Down reduction.
IAC - Idle Down Rate: This table defines the speed at which the IAC steps down after the engine starts. A lower value is a slower idle down.

Originally I misread his post thinking this was a Park/Neutral to Drive issue. Now I wonder what his warm idle step counts are while in Park and while in gear. Seems like his step counts are too high while in gear (or engine is laboring too much) causing the IAC to open up a lot and when it goes to Park/Neutral with no load it causes a high idle.
Old Today, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

The two areas I listed are the areas that will be tweaked for idle down overall. In his case he needs to reduce the amount of time it is taking, rather hovering, from Drive to P/N. If his engine never reached his commanded idle RPM this would be a different scenario, but he is describing a lingering or hovering idle, approximately ten seconds. He would need to change the preset value of 1.00 found in the Idle Down Delay to 0.90, or 0.80, etc, until he is happy with the final transition. I included the Idle Down Rate because this is another area where members get confused when wanting a faster idle down, and they wind up altering the Powerup Initial Step settings, which is a mistake. But I digress.

- Rob
Old Today, 09:51 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

EBL has separate IAC parameters for start up idle down and engine running idle down. The two areas you listed are solely for startup.

The areas that would directly affect the IAC on an already running engines idle returning to commanded idle (whether higher or lower) would be

IAC - Idle High Step Delays: Delay times before IAC corrects (moves) on an idle too high RPM error. Small is the small idle error delay, large is the larger idle error decay.
IAC - Idle Low Step Delays: Delay times before IAC corrects (moves) on an idle too low RPM error. Small is the small idle error delay, large is the larger idle error decay.
IAC - Idle Gain Breakpoints: These two are RPM breakpoints for desired idle RPM IAC changes. First is idle too high, followed by idle too low.
IAC - Steps Decay filters: Three IAC steps decay filters values. A lower value provides a slower decay. The 'Norml' is used for all decays except DFCO and Stall Saver. The 'DFCO' decay is used to decay out decel fuel cutoff steps. The 'StlSv' filter is used to decay out stall saver steps.

There are lots of other IAC adders/subtractors in the mix, but those relate towards an idle that is not maintaining the commanded idle.
Old Today, 09:55 AM
Supreme Member

Yes.... I know all about the EBL, have been tuning them since 2010 for members, and have promoted Dynamic's SFI-6 on the Turbo Buick boards, and know Bob pretty well. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but let the member take the advice I gave him and run with it. If it works out for him great. I responded to him though, not you, and am not looking to debate with anyone these days anymore.

- Rob
Old Today, 10:11 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Yes.... I know all about the EBL, have been tuning them since 2010 for members, and have promoted Dynamic's SFI-6 on the Turbo Buick boards, and know Bob pretty well. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but let the member take the advice I gave him and run with it. If it works out for him great. I responded to him though, not you, and am not looking to debate with anyone these days anymore.

- Rob
I'm not trying to debate you. If I have a critical misunderstanding of how the parameter definitions are worded in the provided EBL files versus how they actually function I would like to know. I am sure others would too.