DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Moates Apu1 / Gp1

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: 383 / TPIS MINI RAM
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: MOSER 9IN 3.89
Moates Apu1 / Gp1

HI, after much searching and learning about prom reprograming, I have contacted CRAIG and was told what I need is the APU1/ GP1 adapter for my application. I have a 91-Z and am building another engine for it, I have also installed a new rebuilt tranny and stall converter, and am shortly going to install a new rear end. But after reading many Q&A and many trouble shooting problems, this seems to be over my head on some of this stuff. It seems simple enough about hook up and data logging, but there seems to be an awful lot of problems with things not reading correct and not talking to the ECM and the such. My question is, when you hook everything up correct for your application why is it that there are so many people having so many problems with this set up if you have purchased the correct unit for your application. I am about to purchase this unit from MR MOATES but would really like to see one in action and get a feel for what is need to be done, so I dont encounter any of these issues. I live in DULUTH GA and would be glad to pay someone for there time if they have such a set up that they could demo for me, before I spend all this cash and mess something up. Thats why I want to get it now so I can practice on my old 201k engine so if something goes wrong hopefully it want matter. Thanks to anyone that can help me on this, and I would be glad to travel if need be..... THANKS
Old 12-13-2005, 11:42 PM

I've got that setup, and I've been bit by pretty much ever one of the recent logging and related problems (mostly centered on what seems to have become the step child 7747).

But, the response and support of both Craig and Mark has been great, and I have no ill feelings. These are small run electronics and software that will never compensate them financially for the materials and time invested. They also don't have big test labs and crews to comprehensively test all possible configs and scenarios. I would certainly have been much happier if it had been flawless, but was not surprised at hiccups caused by the new releases as well as my own newbie ignorance. But when you have quick, courteous and responsive help like I got from both Mark and Craig in dealing with both my problems and theirs; including phone, email, and patches within days of identifying a problem, I'm well satisfied.

In fact, considering the runaround I've gotten from Dell, LinkSys, GM and other "big names" (generally on much bigger expenditures) when they have problems/bugs and their first tactic is to tell you it's "normal" or "nobody else has ever reported it" or otherwise make it "go away" without dealing with it. Then you find hundreds of frustrated customers complaining of exactly the same problem AND excuse from the manufacturer on the web, this has been, as they say, a breath of fresh air…
Old 12-14-2005, 01:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break
I'd have to say that most problems are due to not knowing the correct configuration of the laptop you are using. If you are comfortable checking comm ports and verifying things are where they should be, the problems become minimal. there are some issues relating to different ECMs and their associated configuration files but the key is to try them all and find what works by reading up on what are the best files out there and what files for your ECM that people are using. For some applications there are many (730,165) others only a few or not created yet. Just have to do some digging to find out if the files you need exist already. Many have small calculation errors that can be corrected by just bringing them to the surface.
Believe me, there are many people using the same hardware and software you will be using. The upfront "noobism" can drive you a little nuts but it will fade quickly as you learn to work the equipment. Soon you'll wonder why you had trouble in the first place.
You will get better support from Craig and Mark than ANY vendors I've ever dealt with. The support here is great too!
Dive in, the waters fine
Old 12-14-2005, 06:20 AM

Thanks guys, In no way am I not going to do this, Craig called me just as quick as he had gotten my e-mail and was the most delightful person to speak with, and was very helpful in explaining what I needed. I was just wondering if anyone was in my area that had a few min. to show me first hand how this thing works, I am sure I could figure it out but just as the saying goes 1 picture is worth a thousand words, imagine what a couple of hours with an actual unit woud do..I know from what I have read that CRAIG and his tech support is awsome. So I guess its time to go head first into the great art of electrical programming.....LOL. Thanks for you insight, I guess I will be needing a lot of help and guidance, so when I get this thing dont leave me hanging..LOL..I would still be interested if someone in the ATLANTA area has set up that I could look at. Have a great day...RANDALL.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: Moates Apu1 / Gp1

Originally posted by ZEEYAA
But after reading many Q&A and many trouble shooting problems, this seems to be over my head on some of this stuff. It seems simple enough about hook up and data logging, but there seems to be an awful lot of problems with things not reading correct and not talking to the ECM and the such.

I live in DULUTH GA and would be glad to pay someone for there time if they have such a set up that they could demo for me, before I spend all this cash and mess something up.
99.9999% of the posts here are just about trouble shooting, and problems, because the intent of the forum is to help the DIY guys.

Yes, folks have problems, and that goes along with lots of things in life when you're stepping into something new.

Like the man said, step in the water's fine.

Not to mention that for some PROM work has brought a sense of logic, and order to thought process. For me, EFI, isn't just about EFI anymore.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Z69
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't let other peoples problems deter you.
All the common problems have been found and fixes posted
or solved by the creators.
Your listed hardware will work just fine.
And also has the most support on the board.

Check out John Millican screen name. He's in GA.
Sold his 3rd gen though.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:05 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
Hi Zeeya -

I'm assuming you've got a 7730 running $8D in your '91? If so, yes, the APU1 should work just great. The 7730 (and 7165) are the two primary test beds with which Craig and I test the hardware and software.

Feel free to give it a go, and remember that Craig will also refund 100% of your money for the hardware if you're not satisfied or can't get it working.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:59 PM

Car: 69 Camaro
Engine: LS1 converted to LS6
Transmission: 4L70
Axle/Gears: 12bolt 3:42
I would not be concerned Craig stands behind his products 100%!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:47 AM

HI MANGUS, I know CRAIG is the man, and see many responses on the boards from you also, im sure you have been a great help to many people. Yes I am going to order one after CRAIG gets caught up on all the ones he has back orderd, Thanks for all the responses, I feel alot better about this now. Im sure I will be needing help and I know where to go too now for sure. THANKS A BUNCH......