DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

EPROM ID - After market?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EPROM ID - After market?

I'm a complete newb to custom PROMs and I've been reading the FAQ as well as the (seemingly) relevant posts. In preparation for ordering a "Pocket Programmer", I also wanted to order some EEPROM chips to get started with. In order to make sure I got the "right" chips, I pulled out my 7747 ECM and popped the cover. Problem is, I can't really tell much about it. Rather than a bare chip, there is a black frame/holder around it, and the frame obscures most all the numbers. It also appears that the chip is glued into the frame, so (as far as I can tell) I can't just slide the frame off the chip to read the numbers. I'm guessing this is some after market "high performance" EPROM chip. Can anyone confirm?

>>> Chip details:

Plastic chip holder has "RN" embossed on it.

Top of chip:
Silver label - top row of numbers obscured. Second row in larger type is AKAJ. Third row is 1147 also in large type.
Chip surface - most all numbers are obscured. Top row is 014, second starts with 32, 3rd starts with A.

Bottom of chip:
JT8(G)AH22/P

>>> For reference:

This is for an 88 K5 blazer with TBI 350. I just built/installed the engine which is a ZZ4 350 short block, Crane Compu Cam, SR Torquer heads, and 14 psi on the FR. I have a tweaked/bored TB with VRFPR that will be going on once I get started. But for now, I'm already on the lean side, and I figure that the new TB takes it further that way, so I will wait until I start the chip process to install the new FPR and modified TB.

I have (and use) WinALDL and I expect I'll be using TunerPro or TunerCat for the tuning.

>>> So, on to the specific questions:

1) I gather that I should start the tuning process with a "stock" ECM, but it looks like I don't have one. Should I read this one to start? It seems to run fairly well with the new engine, but stumbles off idle (particularly cold, big surprise eh?) and falls on it's face at about 4.5k rpms.

2) What EEPROM chips should I order with my PP? The article suggested checking what you have to make sure the new chips match the ECM, but unless someone can make senses of the chip I found, that seems to be a problem for me.

Thanks for your help. I hope I didn't leave out relevant info or miss obvious answers to my questions buried in all the info here. At this point, it's all more than just a little overwhelming.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:59 PM

Ok, more reading over on Moats (burried in the adapter install page) indicates that the stock chips came in a plastic holder. I'm sure that info is here too, guess I just missed it.

So, looks like it's pretty much a guaranteed to be a 2732A. I had seem that here too, but simply wanted to confirm.

Moats suggests replacing with their adapter and using a different chip. Is it not possible to use EEPROMs in the stock socket at all? Or just to use common/cheap EEPROMs?

Also, any suggestions on Moats Burner1 vs. PP2? Half the price and USB seems to make the Moats Burner1 a winner for me, but I don't know enough to intelligently compare features. My current laptop would require a serial PCMCIA adapter for the PP2. Since the more expensive PP2 seems more popular here, I'm guessing there is likely a reason?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:42 PM

Car: 67 Firebird Convertible
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.55
I bought the Moates burner, adapters, aldl cable, and eeprom supply. I knew nothing about burning 2 months ago, and using his equipment, I've had nothing but success with everthing I've tried to do.
The chip adapter he sales makes it a breeze to change chips, and the burn1 works flawlessly in my usb port laptop.
Nothing but great comments for Moates!
I invested 30.00 in Tunerpro RT and am well pleased with it's simplicity.