DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

bye,bye emulators (DIY project)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
bye,bye emulators (DIY project)

I have been messing around with my emulator hardware I built back in 2001. I always used my own MS-DOS code to control the emulator(write/read it), but recently added code to it so that I could use CATS tuner with it. I am in the process of trying to get TunerPro to also work with it. Two great pieces of software.

Back then I built the hardware so that I wouldn't have to mess with the ECM software.

I always had the idea of doing the "emulator" updates via the ALDL interface. This would only require minimal hardware. Just a couple logic gates and an EEPROM replacing the standard EPROM.

Times are a changin'

Since more and more people seem to be getting into modifying the ECM code this would be a great DIY project. It would require building a through-hole PCB that would fit where the CALPAK goes and the ECM would read and write the "emulator" via the ALDL line.

I think this would make a great DIY project and once after I get TunerPro working with my current emulator I will probably start digging into the $8D code to check the feasability of how much code would need to be added. And I hope no one just grabs this idea and cashes in. So I copyright this info.

It is mostly a software project and would require assembly code to be written and some PC code to do the ALDL stuff. Also, the $6E code would have to be studied more in depth because from my experience the freeware ALDL interfaces are not operating it properly (lock up sometimes). I have never seen a Snap-On tool lock up a $6E ecm. Nothing against the freeware ALDL tools. I think they are great.......that is why I am looking to get TunerPro to work with my emulator.

Anyway, just something to think about. The hardware could be done pretty cheap (less than $50 bucks) and it would fit into an ECM without any cables sticking out.

J
Old 03-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
This is a nice idea. Some of the DSM and Honda guys have kicked it around, too. Basically, you can use an NVRAM in place of the EEPROM, and have some stuff buffered in and gated using an output line or two from the ECM. Is this the line of thought you're looking at?

You're right, hardware would be cheap and simple. Seems like it'd make a real nice DIY project.

That $6E lockup is strange. Getting to the bottom of that would be a real accomplishment.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

I was thinking of using a an EEPROM instead of an NVRAM. The NVRAM drives the cost up and is not necessary. Using one EEPROM as a double buffer would work fine and EEPROMs in the 1mbit range can be had for $5-$10.

I would not use any other lines than the ones that currently go to the CALPAK. If other lines were used it would require a ECM PCB hack. I think that is a very bad idea and would drop the project if it came to that. Already too many devices are being installed in a ECM that requires removing the cover and most people don't know about ESD and stuff. I buy ECMs used from the junkyard and I hate to see myself getting an ECM that someone had thier fingers into. Removing the covers is fine for the "bench" work but I don't feel it is for the general public that would install a DIY kit.

I started to look at the $6E lock-up back in the day when I first started playing with this ECM stuff and ran across the problem using your MS-DOS code. I had just done my first TPI install and was datalogging with the thing locking up every five minutes. It drove me nuts.......never did get that DOS program to connect to the $32B mask. I am looking to try out TunerPro this spring to see how the ALDL works with it. I would like to get it working with my emulator but for some reason the serial comms changed from version 3.06 that worked with the emulator to version 3.10b that will not work with the emulator. If I can get tunerpro 3.10b to work with emulator I will start looking into the $6E lock-up. CATS Tuner works with it just fine..........anyway I am getting off on a tangent here. I still like that MS-DOS ALDL program you made though.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:20 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
The $6E lockup is not a "freeware ALDL" software issue. Its a $6E code issue. Every scanner I've ever used with $6E has the problem (though I haven't actually experienced it with TunerPro lately). Here is a short list of scanners/software that I have personally seen the problem with:

1) TunerPro
2) Datamaster
3) Freescan
4) AutoXRay XP240/EZLINK
5) AutoXRay EZSCAN 6000
6) Snap On scanner (can't remember the model #)
7) EFILive
8) Craig Moates's ECM85x

Go for it!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Mangus
The $6E lockup is not a "freeware ALDL" software issue. Its a $6E code issue. Every scanner I've ever used with $6E has the problem (though I haven't actually experienced it with TunerPro lately). Here is a short list of scanners/software that I have personally seen the problem with:

1) TunerPro
2) Datamaster
3) Freescan
4) AutoXRay XP240/EZLINK
5) AutoXRay EZSCAN 6000
6) Snap On scanner (can't remember the model #)
7) EFILive
8) Craig Moates's ECM85x

Go for it!
the lock up issue only existed with the snap on scanner and a few others before around 1999 or so. most of them seem to have updated there software. i think the trick with the $6e lockup is to keep a loop in the aldl that manually resets the aldl conection with a message header every so many packets. when i get some time im gonna install a port sniffer on a snapon scanner and see what it is they are doing to fix it. but im not sure if ill have time anytime soon
Old 03-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Interesting, I have only used a Snap-On scanner starting in late 2000. Maybe that is why I have never seen one lock-up the $6E ALDL comms.

I agree with the sending a command to reset every so often. That is what I was guessing needs to be done. Have to dig into the $6E code so more. It has been quite a while since I have looked at it since going to the $8D.