DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Super_8dm2 ECU Manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 GTA - 94 TPI Suburban
Super_8dm2 ECU Manual

It seems that the Super_8dm2 ECU and TunerPro RT (both available at Mark Mansur's web site) are very popular for programming the $8D mask, in particular the AUJP bin.

For background, I converted my 1994 Suburban to TPI by using the system off of my 1991 GTA. In the process of learning how to Do-it-Myself, I started a "Tuning" page for my experience, in the hopes that it will help others with similar projects or questions.

With the Super_8dm2 ECU, there are a lot of ECU items that I have no clue what they mean. What does it control? How will a change up or down affect the operating parameters of the system/engine? Is it related to another table, or constant? How much of a change is considered normal? Well short of searching at thirdgen, there are not many places to get information. And many of my searches turn up empty.

In compiling answers to my questions, I decided to organize stuff on a web page. You can see the start of my project here.

I would like to enlist the help of the many experts on this board to help me build this manual. I do not necessarily see it as an exhaustive manual, just general definitions and functions. I will use a stock AUJP bin as the baseline for dicussions. It will include screenshots of the various charts and tables.

If you feel compelled to help me on this project, please PM me, E-mail me, or post on this thread with whatever you can add.

I would like to start with some of the many spark related items

Based on what I have read, this seems to be how total timing is calculated re: $8D mask

Total Timing = BaseTiming + MainSparkTable + PETiming – KnockRetard.

Reading the above calculation leads me to believe that the main SA table that I view in Super_8dm2.ecu does NOT include the base timing. Is this correct?

There are many other spark advance tables & constants defined in Super_8dm2.ecu. Would you define these for me, I could not find them searching the forum:

Spark Advance Base Temp. Correction Table Bias –

Spark Advance Closed Disable Temp -

Idle Spark Advance Mult. Vs. RPM -

Idle Spark Advance vs. RPM Error -

Idle Spark Advance Retard Mult. Vs. MAP -

Idle Spark Advance Retard Vs. RPM -

Spark Advance Closed Throttle vs. RPM – Does this override the base + SA main? Can it be zeroed out?

Spark Advance Startup Vs. Temp. – Adds advance?

Spark Advance Temp. Correction vs. Load vs. RPM - Does this add to or subtract from the main SA table, or override it completely. Can it be zeroed out & the Main SA control timing?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed
Old 02-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Z69
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Initial SA is subtracted out
So the table is what you want it to be.
42 - 6 = 38
Dist physical setting adds 6 back in.
38 + 6 = 42
Then the total is limited to L$8026

Code:
; SUB OFF SPK INITAL ADVANCE
;
LBB47: SUBB $8025 ; 6 DEG REF SPK ANGLE
SBCA #0
STD L00BB ; SPK ADV Rel to DRP, (un-lim)
;
; LIMIT SPK ADV TO 40 DEG
;
LDD $8026 ; 39 DEG, (MAX ADDED SA LMT)
SUBD L00BB ; SPK ADV Rel to DRP, (UN-LIM)
BGT LBB59
ADDD L00BB ; SPK ADV Rel to DRP, (UN-LIM)
STD L00BB ; SPK ADV Rel to DRP, (UN-LIM)