DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Epromer 5/6 users??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epromer 5/6 users??

Some of you may remember my epromer troubles a while back. It absolutely would not burn or erase a 29F040 even though they claimed (and advertised) that it would. They did eventually get me up and running, sending me beta software, and advising me to solder in an extra capacitor to the board (which is now advised on their web site). I burned one 29F040, it worked- I was happy- and thats all I tried. I havent burned a chip since, as my car is majorly disassembled for paint. Yesterday, I pulled it out of the box, and wouldnt you know it- it wont burn or erase a 29F040 again!! I tried every "test" they have on their site, which it passed, I tried every software version I had, and I have two chips to try- one that was previously programmed by me- and it wont erase, and when it reads it rarely verifes, and another that is blank and brand new that wont program. I get an error that states something like "not supported- not a flash unit" when I try. The programmed chip gives the same error when I try to erase it. When I read it the checksum it gives is usually different each time! The chips both appear good condition physically, and were stored in one of those static resistant tube things in a cabinet in an air conditioned room of my house since their last use. I tried to "wiggle" the chip in the ZIF, but it made no difference.

Yesterday was another COMPLETELY unproductive day to say the least. I emailed USTR but they havent replied yet. Does anyone have any ideas????

Anyone want to buy an Epromer 6??? It works fine for other chips, just not the one I want to program.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
Yeah, I thought about reselling those EPROMER5 dealies, and then I got a couple in hand and discovered that at least in my experience that they are relatively POSs. Couldn't do it in good conscience, especially with the customer service runaround...
Old 08-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 SVO
Engine: Volvo headed 2.3T
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 8.8" 3.73
Originally posted by Craig Moates
Yeah, I thought about reselling those EPROMER5 dealies, and then I got a couple in hand and discovered that at least in my experience that they are relatively POSs. Couldn't do it in good conscience, especially with the customer service runaround...

Mine ( A EP5) crapped out for whatever reason last spring.. less than a year old. Worked fine.. then just quit reading/writing.

I have since picked up a Willham Universal.. so far.. works perfect.

Bob
Old 08-21-2004, 12:08 PM

What would happen if I try a different eprom burner software on my Epromer? Will it damage anything? Will it just not work if its too different? I am thinking its a software thing.