DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Basic 808 terminology Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basic 808 terminology Q's

I'm digging thru the 808 ECU and want to make sure I'm clear on some of the terminology so I can modify it if I need to.

A/D: What does this mean?

Threshold: My guess is that it's a data point that must be crossed before "X" can happen. Correct?

"Fan 1 enable speed AC ON -5 MPH retard": What is the -5mph retard, and why is it there?

"fuel pump slow run": What's it do? If it's like it sounds, why would I want to run this? Wouldn't it lean the motor out pretty good?

Difference between sync and asynch delivery?

Delta? Once again it sounds like a point that needs to be crossed to enable something.

"Block Learn-Integrator Window Value": Whats this? This and a few other things are rated in UNITS. What UNITS is it referring to?

"Block Learn-Minimum BLM Boundary" The high for blm boundary is 1.09val, and the low is .86val. How do I equate this to the 108-160 like I'm used to seeing?

"Block Learn-BLM Learn Window - RPM radius (7 max)" and "Block Learn-BLM Learn Window - MAP radius (31 max)": Whatsitdo? Same thing with the VE versions of them.

What is "sag mode"?

"Inverse temperature term"?

ACSP coolant sensor?

"manfuel"?

"ADBAT"?

JohnL was kind enough to provide info on the injector constant conversions, so I'm good there.

Everything else I have searched on and really didn't come up with anything difinitive.

Thanks guys

Last edited by onebinky; 07-10-2004 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:13 AM

i dont know about the rest of the stuff since im new to the 808, but delta means the amount of change like if your tps is at 10% and you squish the throttle to 50% there is a 40% delta..is this right or im i just full of it? anyone ?

oh hey your update to the 808 is looking pretty good from were i stand. thanks again for the file..
Old 07-10-2004, 04:30 AM

Car: 1984 Corvette
Engine: Turbo 350
Transmission: 4L80E with TCI T-Com
Re: Basic 808 terminology Q's

Originally posted by onebinky
I'm digging thru the 808 ECU and want to make sure I'm clear on some of the terminology so I can modify it if I need to.

A/D: What does this mean?
Analog to Digital conversion. Ususaly a 0-5Volt value converted to 0-255 decimal value.

Threshold: My guess is that it's a data point that must be crossed before "X" can happen. Correct?
yes

"fuel pump slow run": What's it do? If it's like it sounds, why would I want to run this? Wouldn't it lean the motor out pretty good?
I don't know when it is used. At idle you don't need as much fuel.

If the two injector groups fire at the same time or one after another.

Delta? Once again it sounds like a point that needs to be crossed to enable something.
Differance from current value.

"ADBAT"?
Battery voltage
Old 07-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks guys, that knocks out a bunch of them for me

Here's the remaining list:

"Fan 1 enable speed AC ON -5 MPH retard": What is the -5mph retard, and why is it there?

"Block Learn-Integrator Window Value": Whats this? This and a few other things are rated in UNITS. What UNITS is it referring to?

"Block Learn-Minimum BLM Boundary" The high for blm boundary is 1.09val, and the low is .86val. How do I equate this to the 108-160 like I'm used to seeing?

"Block Learn-BLM Learn Window - RPM radius (7 max)" and "Block Learn-BLM Learn Window - MAP radius (31 max)": Whatsitdo? Same thing with the VE versions of them.

What is "sag mode"?

"Inverse temperature term"?

ACSP coolant sensor?

"manfuel"?

"LEM"?

Gunny, I forgot to tell you that there is one measurement I couldn't convert. One of the tables is rated in kelvin. I couldn't convert it to F and keep the resolution, and I don't know how to modify the code to add resolution. So if you know how, have at it

Last edited by onebinky; 07-10-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:40 PM

kelvien huh, ill break out the temp formulas to give em a look then only if i need to..he he thanks for the heads up - if you get in a updated or super for it would like a newer copy if no trouble thanks
Old 07-11-2004, 08:06 AM

"-8km/h hysteresis" means it is enabled at 8km/h less than the calibrated value
fuel pump slow run?
If the conditions are suitable, a dropping resistor can be swithed in to slow the fuel pump and reduce the fuel pump noise.
ACSP coolant sensor?
Two types of coolant sensors are supported , Bosch and ACSP
sag mode?
Part of the transient IAC logic, increases IAC position when RPM drops below desired.
"manfuel"?
Manifold fuel
"LEM"?
Low speed Enrichment Multiplier
(richens the BPW when idle RPM is below the desired value)
Old 07-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

That just answered alot of questions for me, like why the car runs persistantly rich. And why I still have 140+ IAC counts even when I have all the IAC tables 0'd out.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

"If the conditions are suitable, a dropping resistor can be swithed in to slow the fuel pump and reduce the fuel pump noise."

Does this require some sort of external module to work?

"Manifold fuel"

Can you elaborate on this one?
Old 07-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: Basic 808 terminology Q's

Originally posted by onebinky
Sync means in sync with distributor reference pulses.
Async, means every 12.5 msecs, and based on clock cycles, rather then DRPs.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Re: Basic 808 terminology Q's

Originally posted by Grumpy
Sync means in sync with distributor reference pulses.
Async, means every 12.5 msecs, and based on clock cycles, rather then DRPs.
So synch would be the most accurate, correct?

Three items left to ID:

This one I think I figured out:
"Block Learn-Minimum BLM Boundary" The high for blm boundary is 1.09val, and the low is .86val. Since I'm converting this from analog to digital, I just multiply the value by 128 to give me my number with the swing point of 128. Correct? EXAMPLE: .86x128=mnimum BLM of 110.8

Thanks guys

Last edited by onebinky; 07-11-2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Anybody know these last couple?

The issues I'm having with the 808 are slowly ironing out.

High idle is taken care of except for the occasional flare, and I'm getting the o2 reading down slowly but surely.

With very minimal tuning the car feels MUCH more responsive than it did with 3 months of MAF tuning. All you guys preaching MAP are definately on the right track

Also, contrary to what alot of people are saying, it seems to be much more straightforward to tune a MAP car compared to MAF. I won't say it's easier, but definately seems more straightforward
Old 08-11-2006, 04:55 AM

Car: Australian 1990 Nissan N13 Pulsar
Engine: F18E
Greetings all. I'm new to these forums, so hello from Australia!

I've been tuning my car (F18E equiped) based on the '808 and the $5D ECU mask with much success (of which a good portion must be attributed to JohnL via the Pulsar forums in Oz), but I'm still in the dark regarding many of the parameters in the mask. 'AE' and 'manfuel' mean nothing to me presently.

"Manifold Fuel" sounds great, but it still means nothing to me. Can anyone help?

"AE" could stand for Accelerator Enrichment I suppose, but I'm used to the expression throttle enrichment. Are we talking about the same thing here?

Any help anyone can provide is much appreciated!

Dave.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:09 PM

Car: 1967 C10 Pickup
Engine: TPI 305, Megasquirt
Transmission: TH400
I am starting a 165 to MAP project right now.

I currently have a 305 TPI with Megasquirt II.

I have a 165 ECU kicking around and a 87 vette memcal i'll throw a EEPROM on and use the $5D code.

I am using 1989 Throttle Bodie ECM connectors, all the power/data wires are in the correct location for the 165, and most of the wire colors match a 165 schematic. This should be easy.

anyways....just chiming in.