DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

how do you save raw data from winaldl/ how do I know how much knock retard ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you save raw data from winaldl/ how do I know how much knock retard ?

I did a search before i asked these questions but couldn't find anything.

1) Quickly, I now have my 8746 spitting out data in the promida and promidb areas which is supposed to be knock retard. But, I hear the term knock SA and final knock SA. What is SA?? what is the difference between knock SA and final Knock SA?

In other words for old carb guys like me, how do I know how much knock retard there is and how do I find out when and where it is happening??

2)In the past i have just dataloged using the blm screen and knock screen and then saved them for later evaluation. no problem datalogging but, for raw data I can't find a way to save the data. The numbers are constantly changing but I click on datalog and check the box that says raw data and then click start. when i am done, I click stop but I can't find a way to save the data.

I know its basic, but could someone tell me how to save this data?

3)I know that i also need some sort of spread sheet (don't know why) to make sense of the data, but jprevost said he would post one so will wait unless there is one out there I can download.Can someone explain what the spread sheet does RE raw data?

of course, any light you all can shine my way is appreciated........thanks bob
Old 04-27-2004, 08:54 AM

ok, I assume SA= spark advance. So I guess somehow the raw data in the promida and prom idb tell you how much spark advance is taken out ie retard?

Still haven't been able to find answers to other questions but I am still looking. Hope you all can help..........bob
Old 04-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Juiced 5.0 TBI - 300rwhp
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi, 10 Bolt
to get the SA to display in the PromID field you have to change a couple of values, i will have to do a search for you, and find them, there was a post in the TBI board, in which RBob explains it all, there is also some math that has to be done to the SA infomation after you get it. what you will have to do, is actualy do a datalog option in winaldl, then open that file in a spread sheet.

HTH, when i get some more time, i will search for the info for you.

OK, here is the post....
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=210908

Last edited by Dewey316; 04-27-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:48 PM

dewey, thanks, thats one more piece to the puzzle.
I have made the changes with tuner pro to enable me to get the ECU to spit out the raw number to the data log per jprevost post and program.
Sounds like from your post I have to open a spreadsheet together with winaldl to data log info.

If so, does anyone have a spredsheet I can use? Jon?

thanks guys..................bob
Old 04-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

no , when you click on datalog in winaldl, select the raw data option, and hit log. it will create a file in the winaldl directory. use excel or something similare to open that log file. you then need to set it to open it as tab delemited, that will sort the information into the appropriate columbs. if you made the changes to your .bin file, per RBob, the prom-id columb will have your SA information. BUT, you then need to multiply that columb, by the approate number (in that post) to get the output to be actualy degree's of timing.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:02 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is not the amount of knock retard in the constants table? i did not mess with it. i will guess retard is a few degs at a time and contiues till K goes away. then i think resets to base timing once again over time. not sure on that. fortunately for me i just had KC's in 3 map/rpm cells. i retarded timing in those cells 2 deg only and went away. that was last year. now this past week FTHOT i put 2 deg back in and will see if comes back. i really dont know what to do with spark tables and have been watching some on this forum but tables vary greatly. supposedly i have base vette tables day one and did not adjust them much. toying with idea of gtech at later date and then will play with tables.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:36 PM

Dewey's help was great . Thanks. everytime I ask a question, it leads to more questions so, WTF, I gotta ask or I will go no where.

I found the saved log duuuuhhh, and I have RAW data displayed against time. I understand the formula, but duuuuuhhhh, how do you know the initial timing in the bin?? don't say it, I haven't played with timing much other than the spark table and setting the distributor. I always assumed my initial timing was what was on the distributor ie 6 degrees in my case. IF I look in ECM constants my initial spark advance is 0. Is that the initial timing in the bin? or is it the amount on the distributor?

Ok, once I convert to SA, How do I determine how much if any of the spark the computer is pulling out?? How much knock retard do I have?

My guess would be that I would look at SA at a given time on the data log, look at raw rpm and map at the same time, and compare actual SA against the SA in the spark table at the same rpm and map. Then, Subtract the actual SA on the datalog from the spark table and the difference is the Spark retard??

If this is how you do it, then what are the conversions for raw rpm, and raw map??

One last question, my datalog shows Raw/promidb with one set of numbers under raw that vary from 88 to 97. Right next to the raw numbers there is another colum under promidb that starts with 193 and declines by about 1 with each time measurement. What are those numbers??:

Ok, if you all got the patience, I sure hope someone will spend a little time with me on this.

thanks very much..............bob

Last edited by rsilver; 04-27-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

If you are using Exel then you should have columes with sensor data after the raw data. The sensor data should already be converted to usable numbers ie. no conversion nessesary. The only data that you probably still need to convert is the promida and promidb.

I think the base timming in the chip should be the same as the distributor.

Steve
Old 04-28-2004, 06:31 AM
Supreme Member

if your initial timing in the bin is set to 0, and mechanicly set to 6, then you will need to add 6*.

to figure timing, you have ot look it up in the table, subtract the spark bias, subtract the initial timing (in the bin) add any possible timing adders that might be in effect, ect. (ie, PE Spark adder) and in your case, add 6* becasue you have that set mechanicly.