DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Problems after MSD billet dist. installed, prom related topics.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 04:07 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems after MSD billet dist. installed, prom related topics.

Well over this winter I installed an MSD billet external coin HEI, Ever since I have a WOT miss or extreme detonation. I put stock back in and gone - put MSD back in with stock cap/rotor back again. Also just started getting a (Electronic spark monitor ses)

Then I decided to check timing with a light @ 4000 RPM (EST wire off) and I am seeing 20 degrees advance on top of initial.
These dist have no mechanical advance, so why am I seeing advance? < ecm/prom related.

i know not exactly prom related (or is it) but I know the people that can help are here.
have some mercy please

I called MSD, they told me that its impossible, then told me to swap Modules and see what happens.
Now after pulling my dist out about 10 times in last day I don't feel like it, but guess I have to.

Could any body else tell me if they have seen advance with est disconnected? Or installed an MSD and got this code/problem.

I am totally about to give up buying aftermarket parts, I could fill up the aftermarket review board with all the bad/broken/faulty/cast wrong parts I have bought from about every manufacturer.
Just about every time they say. (thats the first time we have seen that) My life story.

Last edited by 87_TA; 03-08-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:43 PM
TGO Supporter

OK, Changed module and mis is gone. Go figure!

Now back to prom / ecm topic, Still seeing 20 degrees advance pretty much soon as I hit the gas with EST wire off.
Is that limp home doing that?
Old 03-08-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Originally posted by 87_TA
OK, Changed module and mis is gone. Go figure!

Now back to prom / ecm topic, Still seeing 20 degrees advance pretty much soon as I hit the gas with EST wire off.
Is that limp home doing that?
Yes, limp mode auto-advance. With the BYPASS open a stock GM module will add in 16-20 degrees of advance at 1600-1800 RPM. It happens rather abruptly at that.

Was it an MSD module that was giving the misfire? And which module worked OK for you?

RBob.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:23 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by RBob
Yes, limp mode auto-advance. With the BYPASS open a stock GM module will add in 16-20 degrees of advance at 1600-1800 RPM. It happens rather abruptly at that.

Was it an MSD module that was giving the misfire? And which module worked OK for you?

RBob.
RBob, simply put you are the smartest ECM guy I ever have seen.

Cool thanks RBob,
Yeah it does happen really abrupt.

Yes it was the MSD module that was giving the misfire, Put stock in and all gone.

Another aftermarket part gone wrong for me, I reall wish I could typ effeciently enough to rail all of the companies that have railed me thus far. TPIS Taking the cake by molding an intake with water ports cut to low filling block with anti freeze and ruining bearings, after car heated and pressure pushed past the 1mm of gasket surface touching.