DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Help with WBO2 WOT tuning/8746 ECM

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with WBO2 WOT tuning/8746 ECM

I searched the forum and turned up a few articles on WOT and WBO2 sensors but I am now more confused. Hope someone can help.

I have spent a lot of time tuning the basic tables with winald datalogging and pretty much have part throttle/cruise/drivability tuning dialed in.
I bought the inovate WBO2 and just started playing around with it. The graphs look good at cruise and part throttle and the afr's hover around 14.3 to 15.3 with 14.7 being frequent. Given that the car runs very well, plugs look good and mileage is good, I think the WBO2 confirms that I am pretty close for these operating conditions.

However, I have always had a loss of power or very flat power over 4,400 RPM at WOT and I never really knew where I was. (TBI airflow issues notwithstanding)
The WBO2 shows at WOT I am very rich (10.6 to 11.0).

I leaned table 1 from 70 kpa up with several iterations but no change in AFR. I Leaned table 2 (VE adder) from 4,000 up but no change in AFR. I increased the AFR( leaned it ) in the PE AFR Vs RPM table and noticed some improvement in the rich condition under heavy loads part throttle but little improvement in the WOT AFR. I can take this further but I want to make sure I am on the right track by using this table.

Should I also be looking at the AE VS differential TPS, and AE VS differential Map tables too or other tables for that matter for WOT tuning ? This is the only car I have ever tuned and I have done it pretty much using the info from this board along with the tech articles on tuning and a TON of trial and error but I am not very sophisticated when it comes to the theory.

Thanks very much for the help on this...............bob
Old 12-26-2003, 03:29 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good questions. my WB 02 is on order and coming soon. i think the AE vs TPS and AE vs map are short term enrichment or a one time pump shot. i could be wrong on that so someone else verify. The PE vs rpm i think is more long term add onto the base VE tables or main fuel tables. If the main fuel tables are close at closed loop (14.7/1) then the PE/RPM should put you close to whatever value you select for WOT. i was going to disable PE and try to tune 4000 and 4400 on level run but was talked out of it as being a bad idea. I have mime at 12/1 but will change to 12.5 /1 and see how that works out and eventually 13/1 verified by wide band. that is A/F at WOT or PEvs rpm. The AE/TPS/MAP i believe is a tuning function to enrichen to avoid that stumble when air flow increases as the throttle blades come flying open. similar to a carb pump shot i would think. guys correct me here if off base on this.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:18 PM

Ronny, thanks for the response. your thoughts are consistent with mine but I am fuzzy on a lot of this.
I have been slowly increasing the AFR on the PE table @ 4800 rpm. Started @ 12 and now am at 13.5% and have now got my
WBO2 readings @ WOT into the 11.6 range. I also went to 12.5% at the other RPMS in this table (they were in the 12% range.)
There is some improvement in WOT power at higher rpms so I am probably on the right track.

HOWEVER, I forgot to disconnect the AIR pump like the instructions say so I will have to confirm my results with it disconnected. Jeeez, I only read it 5 times and still forgot to disconnect it in my excitement. will see what that does to readings and report( the guys at innovate said it wasn't that important but if you get wierd readings the AIR system is probably why and should be disconnected. Thanks again for response.
\
Any other thoughts by anyone?.........thanks again ........bob
Old 12-26-2003, 07:06 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Originally posted by rsilver
Ronny, thanks for the response. your thoughts are consistent with mine but I am fuzzy on a lot of this.
I have been slowly increasing the AFR on the PE table @ 4800 rpm. Started @ 12 and now am at 13.5% and have now got my
WBO2 readings @ WOT into the 11.6 range. I also went to 12.5% at the other RPMS in this table (they were in the 12% range.)
There is some improvement in WOT power at higher rpms so I am probably on the right track.
Thanks again for response.
\
Any other thoughts by anyone?.........thanks again ........bob
Your running the '8746 ECM? If so then the WOT AFR is not a percentage, it is the commanded AFR. Set those values to the desired AFR and then adjust the VE table to be the same. Be sure to read the LM1 during PE mode for this.

RBob.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:43 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RBob
[B]Your running the '8746 ECM? If so then the WOT AFR is not a percentage, it is the commanded AFR. Set those values to the desired AFR and then adjust the VE table to be the same. Be sure to read the LM1 during PE mode for this.

what is commanded AFR? If I set the AFR in the table to 12.5% I don't get 12.5 % on the WB. So I assume you mean to set the AFR in the table to whatever it takes to get the correct AFR when testing at WOT on the WBo2? I thought the idea was to "fool" the computer so that you get the correct actual AFR @WOT.
Please let me know if this is right or wrong.

I don't understand adjusting the VE table to be the same?
Do I adjust Table 1 or table 2?? Adjust to be the same as what??

Not being a wise a--, I am really not sure about this, hence the questions.

Thanks....................bob
Old 12-27-2003, 03:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Originally posted by rsilver

what is commanded AFR? If I set the AFR in the table to 12.5% I don't get 12.5 % on the WB.
A commanded AFR is pretty self explanitory. It's the ecm commanding an AFR based on if in PE mode and engine speed.
There are no %, it's commanded or I should say "desired" AFR.
If you can get your desired AFR to be exactly what is being read in the wideband than you've got a really goot vol eff table for ~14.7 AFR and your injector constant is really close. If your injector constant was saying you were running smaller injectors than the actual AFR (measured by your wideband) would most likely display richer than the commanded/desired AFR in the eprom. Vice versa if injector constant is skewed the other way.
Also accel enrichment will hange around a while, if you run super rich you'll be able to see it in the wideband, run not enough and again, it'll be seen, or at least it should be depending on the wideband location.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:10 AM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rsilver
[B]
Originally posted by RBob
Your running the '8746 ECM? If so then the WOT AFR is not a percentage, it is the commanded AFR. Set those values to the desired AFR and then adjust the VE table to be the same. Be sure to read the LM1 during PE mode for this.

what is commanded AFR? If I set the AFR in the table to 12.5% I don't get 12.5 % on the WB. So I assume you mean to set the AFR in the table to whatever it takes to get the correct AFR when testing at WOT on the WBo2? I thought the idea was to "fool" the computer so that you get the correct actual AFR @WOT.
Please let me know if this is right or wrong.

I don't understand adjusting the VE table to be the same?
Do I adjust Table 1 or table 2?? Adjust to be the same as what??

Not being a wise a--, I am really not sure about this, hence the questions.

Table looks like this:
Code:
;*==================================================
;* Wot Fuel Afr Vs. Rpm
;*
;* Tbl = AFR * 10
;*==================================================

LD3B7:

;----------------------------------
; 	    AFR 	; RPM
;----------------------------------
	FCB 124		;  800
	FCB 111		; 1600
	FCB 118		; 2400
	FCB 106		; 3200
	FCB 120		; 4000
The values are the AFR that is being commanded at that RPM. So at 3200 RPM the ECM is trying to make the air-fuel mixture correct for 10.6:1 AFR.

So while in PE mode (WOT) and 3200 RPM change the VE table(s) so that the Innovate reports 10.6:1 AFR. Presonally I would change all of the entries to 12.5 and go from there.

That sloggy rich as above is to put the cat out.

RBob.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:01 PM

Rbob, jprevost, right on!!! a millions thanks. I think I get it now. Put in the command AFR ie 12.5 and change VE tables to get correct actual tested AFR from LM1 meter. I always thought I was rich in the VE table at high kph but could never get enough samples datalogging at high kph to tell.

Thanks again. This will help.....................bob