DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Complete novice needs some help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: LO3 5.0 TBI
Transmission: TH700R4
Complete novice needs some help.

Hello, i am just about to start performance tuning my 91 firebird 5.0 TBI and have a few questions about chip tuning.

So far I have
An LT4 cam and install kit/springs etc.
A Perfrormer RPM intake.
Hedman Headers and Y Pipe
3 wire bosch universal o2 sensor
I will be decatting the exhaust
An open air filter
I am considereing a VAFPR from TDS.
I purchased a tbichips.com stage 2 chip - before i found this site.

I have downloaded some tuning software (winbin tunerpro etc) and a 1228746 ecu file with a $61 mask ( AXKT1113.bin 89-92 5.0L 8 CYL TBI V8 L03, FED, w/ AUTO) from the gmpcm website. Is this correct so far ?

I have been looking through the previous posts and need a chip burning setup which will allow me to tune the vehicle for these parts then next year I would want to retune for WPtorquer305 heads and a 3.73 diff. so far the Xtronics pocket programmer looks the best but does the software i mentioned earlier burn directly to the pocket programmer ?
I have a laptop so if i got the pocket programmer + a stock of 2732a's would i need anything else ?
I have a rolling road fairly close by so would a real time programmer be better ?

Where can I find a reputable supplier for chips for my ecu eprom 2732a, would the tbichips.com chip overwrite as then i would have two ?

I know i need to start small so the first mods will be increasing the spark advance to make use of Scotland 95RON petrol. I intend to up the spark advance until i see knock then back it off, is this the best way ?

As the performer RPM intake has no EGR I purchased the LT4 cam as I believe that GM added more duration to the exhaust ramp so the engine had a sort of "internal EGR" so what will i need to do to the chip to accomodate no external, but internal egr ?

I bought the three wire o2 sensor in case the headers stopped the original o2 sensor from getting to proper heat, i cannot think of any change in the chip for this...........or is there ?

Is the VAFPR a waste of cash if i am going to chip tune ?

I know a lot of this might be in the message board but when i read it a lot of the time i simply dont understand the PE/VE talk that goes on, so thanks if you can help in a simple way.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: Complete novice needs some help.

Originally posted by Mc Firebird
Hello, i am just about to start performance tuning my 91 firebird 5.0 TBI and have a few questions about chip tuning.

I have downloaded some tuning software (winbin tunerpro etc) and a 1228746 ecu file with a $61 mask ( AXKT1113.bin 89-92 5.0L 8 CYL TBI V8 L03, FED, w/ AUTO) from the gmpcm website. Is this correct so far ?

I have been looking through the previous posts and need a chip burning setup which will allow me to tune the vehicle for these parts then next year I would want to retune for WPtorquer305 heads and a 3.73 diff. so far the Xtronics pocket programmer looks the best but does the software i mentioned earlier burn directly to the pocket programmer ?
I have a laptop so if i got the pocket programmer + a stock of 2732a's would i need anything else ?
I have a rolling road fairly close by so would a real time programmer be better ?

Where can I find a reputable supplier for chips for my ecu eprom 2732a, would the tbichips.com chip overwrite as then i would have two ?

I know i need to start small so the first mods will be increasing the spark advance to make use of Scotland 95RON petrol. I intend to up the spark advance until i see knock then back it off, is this the best way ?

As the performer RPM intake has no EGR I purchased the LT4 cam as I believe that GM added more duration to the exhaust ramp so the engine had a sort of "internal EGR" so what will i need to do to the chip to accomodate no external, but internal egr ?

I bought the three wire o2 sensor in case the headers stopped the original o2 sensor from getting to proper heat, i cannot think of any change in the chip for this...........or is there ?

Is the VAFPR a waste of cash if i am going to chip tune ?

I know a lot of this might be in the message board but when i read it a lot of the time i simply dont understand the PE/VE talk that goes on, so thanks if you can help in a simple way.
Editing software is seperate from doing chip burning.
Tunercat and the 61 tdf file will work just fine for editing.
The Pocket Programmer is a good chip burning set up.
BTW, Xtronics, and Tunercat both offer excellent support.

Bosch O2 sensors are a poor choice. I had three new ones in a row that were bad, Delco and A/C are my only choices.

And adjustable regulator is a good idea. The more tools you have to work with the better you chance for fully optimising your setup.

Timing is best done my measuring performance, acurratley. Preconcieved notions about needing more or less, isn't the best way to go. Just give the engine what it wants.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:23 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
I use the PP2 and have no complaints. Great price, great hardware. Further down the road, you might consider their Romulator as well. There is increasing number of software packages out there that support the Romulator, including the infamous TunerCat, GMPCM, and TunerPro.

What Bruce is apt not to tell you is that the free software you can get out there is more than adequate. The hardest part about the free stuff is being certain the ECU file you have is legitimately put together. Many times they are. You have more than enough support in this forum.

As is often mentioned, save all your chip revisions so that you can always go back to what works, take a lot of notes, and take your time!
Old 11-19-2003, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by Mangus

What Bruce is apt not to tell you is that the free software you can get out there is more than adequate. The hardest part about the free stuff is being certain the ECU file you have is legitimately put together. Many times they are. You have more than enough support in this forum.
apt.?

So you're saying the freeware is adequate, but may or may not be legitimately put together?. What does that mean?.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:04 AM

Ac Delco is not a stocked brand name in Scotland, Bosch is, if the Bosch o2 sensor doesnt work i can take it back to the shop until i get one that does work, if a transatlantic supplied ac delco o2 sensor doesnt work i'm stuffed !!!

I have decided to stop faffing about and just get the pocket programmer 2, I think i am ok on the timing advance adjustments as there is quite a bit in previous posts.

I am hoping that the "no external egr, but internal egr" from the lt4 cam results in just a case of slightly higher temp in combustion chamber so maybe i can dial out any pre-ignition with the advance changes i am burning into the chip, or cool it with an extra wee bit of fuel. (or both)

I think now i might just put the headers on then retune to get a feel for the process. reading is fine but experience sure counts for a lot. Then fit the air filter and again retune.
Then the biggie is the cam and intake, that cam swap is scareing me !!!! I dunno where to start (chip tuning wise, the mechanics is fine).
Old 11-19-2003, 11:13 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dove in head first this summer with a cam swap as well as other mods. zero tuning knowledge. i started data logging at idle and worked my way up the rpm scale. i was very rich at low rpms and lean at high rpms. this was expected. i data logged and came closser on every burn to the magic 128 in closed loop. serious bog in PE. that i was able to tune out but took 15 attemps to get PE reasonably close. dyno run with wide band A/F showed me very close on A/F in PE. four months later i am looking pretty good. car is running much better. now it should not have taken 4 months but about 20 burns to get to a "B" grade.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:36 AM

Ronny

what hardware / software did you use ? and if you didnt use one do you think a romulater would have speed the process up, cos 4 month is quite long.....

when you first did the cam swap etc could you still use the car or was it undriveable ?

when you say PE adjustments were made, did you go through them in any order or did you change a whole bunch of stuff ?

got any good tips.............
Old 11-20-2003, 10:15 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i used winaldl and tunercat. day one car was very rich at low map/ drivable BUT ran like crap. i was concerned the oil was getting polluted. pulled plugs and confirmed i could not continue like that. in went computer and data logged. first burn put in ballpark and drivable. once a week data log and improve with reburn. the PS was the base in bin given to me. BAD stuble when i florred it. stumble finally diaappeared after increases in PS that put me at 200% of original bin on PS. that is where i stopped on PS. but temps at 32deg F so cold air may be a factor from 85 deg this summer. again not sure if 200% is common but it helped me. all you need to do is study this site for tuning tips/help. tunercat was very helpful. yes romulator will be helpful but i tend to go slow and study results. if you try to tune in one week with inexperience who knows if you will be going down right road. i would do one change at a time and ride on it withdata log till you know what you want to do for next change.