DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

$4D.ecu now available...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
$4D.ecu now available...

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=210648
Old 11-16-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: $4D.ecu now available...

Originally posted by dimented24x7
[/URL]
[edit: see my new post further down]

RBob.

Last edited by RBob; 11-17-2003 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Is that legal or shouldn't we worry about that at this point? I've got a couple other tdfs that I had people buy for me to tune their cars with but I thought it would be wrong to make an ecu out of it considering there isn't any public "hack" avail.
Any thoughts or should I just release the ecu files? The more I think about it the more it sounds okay but software is a touchy subject.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by JPrevost
Is that legal or shouldn't we worry about that at this point? I've got a couple other tdfs that I had people buy for me to tune their cars with but I thought it would be wrong to make an ecu out of it considering there isn't any public "hack" avail.
Any thoughts or should I just release the ecu files? The more I think about it the more it sounds okay but software is a touchy subject.
Good point, I need to stop posting so late and/or do a better job reading the posts. If the ECU was made from a hac then it would be OK. I just glanced over the linked post. If an ecu is made from reverse engineering a tdf Idon't think that it should be posted.

RBob.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member

thats a good point.... I guess i should have taken that into consideration since since i did get alot of the addresses from tuner cats. Hmm... I guess ill have to finish looking over the bin for my ecm before i can post the next ecu file. Should be able to get alot more addresses for it, anyhow.

Last edited by dimented24x7; 11-17-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Really good point now that i think of that. What are the legalities of that? Granted given their prices for the very limited editing capabilites are nothing short of extorsion but it is an interesting issue since the information didnt come from software they wrote, but rather reverse engineering done to software written by gm, probably w/o their consent, much as we do with the gm software.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by dimented24x7
Really good point now that i think of that. What are the legalities of that? Granted given their prices for the very limited editing capabilites are nothing short of extorsion but it is an interesting issue since the information didnt come from software they wrote, but rather reverse engineering done to software written by gm, probably w/o their consent, much as we do with the gm software.
Note: The following post contains the opinions of RBob, they do not represent the opinions of anyone else.

What it comes down to is that the tdf contains their intellectual property. This is in the form of they having taken the time to discover and document the bin file locations and conversion equations. Taking that information and transcribing it into another form and releasing it publicly is unethical.

If one were to discover the same information by independent methods then by all means it may be made public. This would be as if a hac were used. Or by trial and error on an ECM bench or in a vehicle.

RBob.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by RBob
Note: The following post contains the opinions of RBob, they do not represent the opinions of anyone else.

What it comes down to is that the tdf contains their intellectual property. This is in the form of they having taken the time to discover and document the bin file locations and conversion equations. Taking that information and transcribing it into another form and releasing it publicly is unethical.

If one were to discover the same information by independent methods then by all means it may be made public. This would be as if a hac were used. Or by trial and error on an ECM bench or in a vehicle.

RBob.
didnt even have to open the thread to know what you were going to say. Even though i am typically of low moral values i certanly can agree that there has to be some sort of moral code of ethecs. We wouldnt be much better then those who cash in on others work if we operated teh same way they did. Legal issues aside, it doesnt bother me much but if it offends others then ill cease and disist, not to mention that i might learn something by doing it the right way. Ive finally begun to go through the sorce code of my ecm in ernest. Ive been meaning to do it for the longest time but since my car is laid up for awhile for repairs (which i dont have money for) ill have something to do in the meantime to get my automotive modding fix. At the very least i intend to sort through the 7747 hack, as well as my own code to find out as many of the additional hex locations of the constants that i can. In addition to hopefully completing the ECU file, i still really want to do my sequential 4bbl tbi conversion with the two sets of injectors fully under the ecms control.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
umm im not sure where you come off with calling tunercats rices extortion. ahh have you priced LT1 edit. i also dont think that you should be stealing info from tunercat either.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by funstick
umm im not sure where you come off with calling tunercats rices extortion. ahh have you priced LT1 edit. i also dont think that you should be stealing info from tunercat either.
I guess being broke makes the price of TC seem relativly expensive. One thing that bothered me though is that the other similar ecu's seem to be much more expansive as far as the number fo addresses included. Tuner cats seemed to be lacking alot of what the diy ecu files had to offer for the other tbi ecms. And yes, in hind sight thats why i took the file down. When I find all the info on my own ill repost it.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:29 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
You can release an ecu with those highway mode afr vs vac since I found it AND TunerCat doesn't even have it in their/his tdf file that you PAID for! . I could just go through the whole bin file since I don't have that tdf and I'll go and find/compare, then release an ecu with only stuff I was able to reverse engineer myself!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:23 PM
Supreme Member

actually, ive begun doing that myself (ill be sure to give you credit for that if i ever manage to get through the actual program and finish the hack). I started comparing my bin with the hack for the 7747 and ive begun to find locations for things that werent known to begin with for my ecm. I guess i kind of dashed my chances of releasing a full ECU file but i figure at least i can release an extended ECU file to complement the stuff given in TC. Oh, BTW, i was wondering if you (or anyone else for that matter) could send me the stock 8746 bin. I wanted to compare it to mine and see how many other similarities there are.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by funstick
ahh have you priced LT1 edit.
Not to mention when he was first fishing for info., LT1 edit was to be freeware. Tis covered in the DIY-EFI archives.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i read it