DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Can't get WinALDL to datalog...need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 H.O.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Can't get WinALDL to datalog...need help

I've attempted to do a search on my problem wth no luck....so here's the deal:

I've got a '92 RS with a 1228746 ECM that I'm trying to use WinALDL to datalog. I had one of my EE friends build the cable for me according to the instructions at http://www.tbichips.com/catalog/cable.htm. I have set the configuration on WinALDL to my 1228746 ECM and tried data-logging with both COM1 and COM2 (the only 2 valid COM ports on my laptop). I have the ground wire plugged into port A and the data wire plugged into port E.

It doesn't work. I get nothin'. Nada.

I'm having to borrow this laptop from work, so I'm REALLY hoping to get some data today. Anybody got any ideas for me to try?

One more thing...I'm also having trouble getting my Dakota Digital SGI-5 speed converter to work, so I'm not getting any VSS signal to the ECM (swapped my T5 for a T56). Would that have anything to do with my datalogging problem?

Last edited by Bulldog92; 11-08-2003 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:51 AM

I just found some info at http://w1.601.telia.com/~u60113744/s.../aldlcable.htm that states:

When you build the cable first try without the R3 resistor. That works for most vehicles. Some vehicles need a 10k resistor to start transmitting data but the resistor will change the ECM's mode. It will have a high idle and spark knock retard will be disabled. That is the reson why you should not use the R3 resistor if it works without it.
The R3 resistor is shown as a 10k resistor b/w ports A & B on the ALDL port...would it be normal for me to have to add this in order to get data to send from my 1228746 ECM? I'm going to try to pick up some more resistors from Radio Shack tomorrow afternoon and give it a shot.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1970 Toyota FJ55, 1971 Datsun 240z
Engine: 350 chevrolet both
Transmission: 700r4, and t5 respectively
I just had to build my cable too. I have a 1228747 ecm out of a 89' 5.7L tbi setup. I am also using the winaldl software. If I have the engine running, and the cable hooked to the serial port of my laptop, the moment I start up winaldl I start getting data. I am using this wiring diagram - same as yours with a little more info on the sheet. From what I remember of reading the info from the winaldl site, their are some ecm's that won't push data to the aldl without being in aldl mode. I can tell you that is true. I work on cars all day long, everyday. Some gm cars are forced into aldl mode when reading the datastream by the scanner, and you are not giving the choice of "road mode". They recommend that you don't drive the car in "Aldl mode". So, I've never attempted to get data from a car that didn't allow "road mode".
Make sure the com port is turned on. And make sure there are not any irq conflicts that could be interferring with the com port.
All I can tell you is that I believe the software works. Double check the cable. And if you can get your hands on a scanner, see if you can get live data out of the port. Can you jumper a - b and get codes out of the car? code 51? I was having trouble suddenly during my programming of the prom. I had screw'd up and burned a blank prom. I wouldn't get any data on the aldl. I went to use my scanner at work, and it didn't work either. I then did an a-b test to see code "51" on the check engine light. Oops.
Good Luck,
Marcello

I used the second wiring diagram I got from this site.
http://www.winaldl.webhop.net/
Old 11-09-2003, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the info, Marcello. I am able to get trouble codes, so I'll be sure to verify that I'm not getting a code 51. I had a bad chip once before and the SES light was flashing constantly because I had a code 51...took me forever to figure out that I was burning chips with the wrong ECU file ...not too bright.

I was also able to e-mail JoBy (wrote WinALDL) and he thinks I may have an inadequate +12v source from my laptop, which may very well be true 'cause it's as old as the hills and the battery is pretty weak. I'll try another laptop I can borrow from a friend as well as hooking up an extension cord to it at idle to see if I can get data. If not, I'll get my EE buddy at work to modify my cable to use a +12v source according to http://w1.601.telia.com/~u60113744/s...interface2.gif as recommended by Jonas.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:38 PM

Well, I tried a different laptop and managed to get ONE little data point...I now know that MW2=223 @ Sample 0, for what it's worth

I thought it was really strange that I was able to get any data at all...seems like it would be an "all or none" situation, you know?

I also tried hooking the laptop up to an extension cord to see if it made any difference in the power supply to the ALDL port, but there was no difference. I'm still going to modify the cable so that it utilizes an external +12v source and see if that works. If that still doesn't work, then I guess I'll try forcing it into ALDL mode by placing a 10k resistor jumper b/w the A & B ports.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 11-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

When I built my cable I had the switching transistor wired in backwards. After i finally figured out the correct wiring it worked great.

Steve
Old 11-11-2003, 08:03 AM

Car: 69 Camaro
Engine: 355 SBC
Transmission: Glide
Axle/Gears: 4.88 full spool
The transistor thing got me also. double check that .
One day after my cable had worked fine it stopped working suddenly, I found that I had broken connection on the 12v source . It seems like I remember incomplete data packs when I had my transistor wired wrong.

Good luck,
ED
Old 11-11-2003, 08:58 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Some laptops won't provide 12v at the serial port unless it has an external power supply hooked up. I know this is the case with my IBM thinkpad and the majority of other laptops.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:03 PM

Do you mean you had to hook up the laptop to a 110V wall receptacle with an extension cord, or that you had to modify your cable to use an external 12V supply from within the car? I tried running an extension cord to the laptop in the car while I ran WinALDL, but still didn't get anything.

I opened up my cable to verify that my EE buddy wired it correctly and everything looked fine...the transistor's emitter, base and collector leads were all going to the right pins on the serial connector as verified at http://support.tandy.com/support_sup...oc19/19990.htm. I'm going to get the cable modified this week to have an extra lead for an external 12V power supply...I'll probably use the constant 12V power from the stereo that I'm also using for my Dakota Digital SGI-5 speed signal converter (which still doesn't work).

If THAT doesn't work, I suppose that it's possible that I have a faulty transistor or resistor...maybe I'll rebuild the cable with new parts and see what happens.

This really shouldn't be so difficult...
Old 11-11-2003, 10:47 PM

My laptop came with both an a/c and a d/c power supply. The d/c just plugged into the cig lighter. If all you have is an a/c you can get a d/c to a/c converter for like $35, figure at most a laptop should need 85watts. 85/12 = 7 amps but remember there is power loss by heat from converting d/c to a/c so figure you'll need at least 10 amps. If your cig lighter doesn't support a 10amp surge then you have other electrical issues. Just don't be blasting your stereo and have your wipers on, lights on, fogs on, high beams on, and interior lights on while at an idle with your foot on the brake.... lol. Talk about drain.
Go and test your serial port with a multimeter so see if it gives 12 volts when you have a power supply hooked up. Then test it without.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:48 AM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: LO3 5.0 TBI
Transmission: TH700R4
I am having similar trouble, I purchased an ALDL link cable from WWW.MASTACH.COM and am trying to use it on a 91 firebird 5.0 TBI, it has ruined my social life, i spend hours a day trawling the net for clues and trying variances, so far i have

tried 2 different laptops.
used a digital voltmeter to conform 1-5V fluctuating between data source pin e and ground pin A on ALDL..... it is
I live in Scotland so drove miles to the only place with a GM scanner to test the ALDL link, it worked fine, i watched car go closed loop and O2 cycle lean/rich......... Car/ALDL link is fine.
Connected other external devices to laptop com port1 to test it works modem, G Meter etc -...... they all worked OK.
Tested for laptop sending 5V to cable through the com port while on battery and on mains.....it is.
Tested for difference in com port voltage when an application is using it.....it did
Got the vendor (in Poland) to send another cable, he did. same result.
Sent at least 20 e-mails to the polish dude who is very helpful analysing my various test results, continuity checks, all seems OK.
Tried every possible combination of com port baud setting in windows against both 2400 and 4800 rates in winALDL.......no joy
Tried removing all potential conflicting devices infrared, sound com2 lpt port sound pcmcia netcards........... no joy
tried winaldl under windows nt, 2000 and 98 .........no joy
even hacked the winaldl ini file to see 160 baud in the configuration choices..........no joy

bastards!
Old 11-12-2003, 11:58 AM

Wow...now I'm not all that optimistic about getting my cable to work
Old 11-12-2003, 11:10 PM

Car: 1970 Toyota FJ55, 1971 Datsun 240z
Engine: 350 chevrolet both
Transmission: 700r4, and t5 respectively
Ok, I have been thinking about this. Have you tried forcing it into ALDL mode instead of road mode? You would do this by putting a 10k resistor between pin a and pin b of the aldl. Just an idea. Maybe it will work? Just to see if the ecm wants to send data in aldl mode, and maybe it doesn't like road mode. Some ecms don't.

Marcello
Old 11-13-2003, 02:53 AM

the cable from mastach.com comes with 4 wires

black - ground pin a (top row rightmost)
+
blue for pin e data (top row 2nd left) stream on 160 baud connectors
+
white for 10k ohm mode in pin b (top row 2nd right) field service mode etc
+
red for 8192 baud use pin m (bottom row rightmost)

Its so one cable can be used on most types of vehicle.

I have tried all possible combinations of pin connection and even picked other ecm types in WinAldl - just in case............. No Joy.

Last night i even ran the laptop from a UPS so it was getting 240volts (Scotland remember) and made some nice aldl port extensions so i dont have to drop the cover panel when i have a flash of inspiration / think of a new combination of pin port baud pc setting. Im losing sleep now !!!!!
Old 11-13-2003, 06:37 AM

Mc Firebird-
Do you need me to send you my old laptop with winaldl cable .
Old 11-13-2003, 02:22 PM

Your offer is both very generous and appreciated however.

1. I live in Scotland so post/packing to send and return might be attrocious.
2. I already have 2 laptops and as I am the I.T. guy at work another half dozen or so are available.(Dell latitudes)

what I WOULD really like is for someone to SELL me a cable that has been used and confirmed to work with a 1228746 ecu, 1991 tbi 5.0 firebird using pins a and e logging to winaldl.

The reason I need to have one permanently is that even as off now I have
an LT4 cam,
hedman headers,
performer rpm intake,
open element filter
all waiting to go on the car and I really want to be able to tune my own car. I have been looking at xtronics website at the pocket programmer.

PS the polish guy i mentioned earlier just sent me a beta version of his soon to be released software for data logging, might post it so we can all "test" tee hee :-)
Old 01-03-2004, 12:10 PM

Thank the Lord...I finally have WinALDL data.

Check out https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=216309 to find out how I finally managed to get my laptop to accept my WinALDL data...if you're interested.

Here is some background info on my car:

- Originally an L03 305 / T5 drivetrain
- GMPP 350 H.O. engine (brand new)
- 454 TBI w/80-90 pph injectors
- Edelbrock Perf RPM Air Gap intake
- T56 tranny
- SLP 1-5/8" headers w/o AIR tubes
- Catco 3" cat (about 1-1/2 years old)
- Smog pump delete
- EGR delete
- 350 ESC module
- 350 knock sensor
- Factory AXKW bin with BPC set @ 100, EGR On Speed @ 255, and Fuel Cutoff Speed @ 255
- DD SGI-5 to convert VSS from T56...still reading about 10-20 mph low (need to adjust dip switch settings)
- The engine runs EXTREMELY rich at idle and lower rpms while driving
- The engine is EXTREMELY difficult to start when cold...have to spray carb cleaner in the throttle body to get it going

I let the engine warm up to a normal operating coolant temp of 160F and drove around for about 10 minutes at varying rpms. SO, here's my data:

www.barneswebdesign.com/20040103_233515_LOG.xls

Here are my limited observations:

- I'm staying in "open loop" almost the entire time except @ time = 812.8
- As a result, my BLMs are fixed @ 128 EXCEPT at time 812.8, where the car briefly goes into closed loop and the BLM jumps up to 194 (which was right before I shut the engine off)
- A BLM of 194 indicates an extremely lean condition, when in reality I'm extremely rich @ idle
- Everything else seemed to also go crazy when it went closed loop; e.g. coolant temp of 1121F, speed = 80 mph while sitting still, 0 rpms, etc.
- I got a knock count of 91.6 @ time = 232.6 and 8 @ time = 812.8 (when it went closed loop)

SO...does anyone have any words of wisdom for me here? I desperately want to understand my data so that I can make some educated decisions on how to change my VE tables, etc. in my bin. I'm confused about why the system didn't go into closed loop...any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help...it took me 6 months to get here! (long story)
Old 01-03-2004, 09:36 PM

I realized that the subject of this thread doesn't reflect my topic anymore, so I opened a new thread...sorry for the confusion