DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

WinALDL stopped working? wtf?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 05:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Check The Sig
WinALDL stopped working? wtf?!?!

I just got my new laptop and now that i have the software on there, I cant scan anymore. No data is coming up. I used to have a big desk top that i carted out. Last time I used that, it was on my friends TBI car. I changed the ECM number and made sure the car and ecm matched up and wahtever. It didnt scann, and after i unplugged it from the car, data started to show up, but spiraticly... like 4-5 mins after i unplugged it. but only like 2 coulums of info, and not all of the rows were filled out. Now, i attach the aldl cable to my friends IROC, and it doesnt scan. I attach it to my car, and no luck!!! I wana know what could have happend? Is there something in the wire set up tahts causing this? I dont understand taht after if worked so well with the desk top on my car, i put it on my friends 5spd L03, and ever since then it hasnt put up a sigle part of data. I might have to DL another aldl software program or crack open this wire and see what might be wrong. Any ideas? Please dont skip over this.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Winaldl give you a message like "Can't connect COM1" (this isn't the exact wording)? I've had trouble when other software takes over the COM1 port (in my case a PDA connection program).

So, do you get any error messages?
What are your COM port settings?

John
Old 10-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Supreme Member

I originaly had a COM port problem when I went to use my laptop on my Z the first time, but only because I didnt know what port to use. I found out what port to use(COM port 3 if anyone wants to know) and went to go ahead to scan and no dice. This also got focked up when I last used my big desktop computer to scan my friends 92 bird. It didnt pick up any info, and I didnt change a thing on the settings on my desktop.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:07 AM
Supreme Member

el bump
Old 10-26-2003, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had problems with the smoke getting out of the circuit board at one stage I had to repair a breadboard trace I built the one transistor interface on, and then ensure that I was getting power switched correctly by the transistor, and the output pins to the cable showed power correctly when the car was running.

I think it's best to start at the ALDL plug end, and eliminate any electrical problems before you start on COMs problems. The fact that you had sporadic data seems to indicate and electrical fault.

John