DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

decoding the .bin "title"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Which one?
Engine: 355
Transmission: 465
decoding the .bin "title"?

I've been reading up on this the last few days (in addition to years prior) but I've only now gotten to the point that I will shortly be using what little I've learned so far.

One question I couldn't find answered is what the "title" of the various.bin's relate to.
diy-ecm ftp example= ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/bins/1227165

For instance, taking the popular "arap.bin", does "arap" actually tell you anything? I know it's a $6E mask and an auto trans application, but is that indicated by "arap", or do you just have to know, or pull it up in an editor to find out? (what I'm expecting is something like the tags used on auto trannies, For instance "CQ" meaning that it was a Chev, High-er Performance)

Looking through the file names, for a manual transmission applicaton for instance, obviously there could only be two different/possible letters in one position to indicate auto or manual trans application. That doesn't seem to hold true.

Blatant use of the post solely for personal gain now, but say I'm looking for a 1989 manual trans 350 '165 .bin. (right usage of the terminology?) How do you tell which '165 .bin is "the one" to start with?

Or, is there no real rhyme or reason to the names? (except the first "a" apparently)

At this point I just want to experiment with GMECMEdit, understand the data and procedures, while looking at the same (or very similar) info I will be using when I burn my own. I will be able to read the one I have, but I don't have that particular equipment yet.

I sincerely apologize if the "what does the xxxx.bin name mean" topic has been covered. I also apologize if my question shows a misunderstanding of this topic. I did many, many searches, and lots of reading, and could not find a specific answer about how to tell the .bin application based on the 4(or more apparently) name attached to it.

Thanks for any info!

Dorian
Old 06-22-2003, 06:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
There's no real logic in the labeling. Later in the alphabet generally means a later revision. But, in some applications the later revisions were worse then the originals.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:57 AM

The APYP included with GMECMEdit is an '89 350 six-speed bin, if I'm not mistaken. Manual counterpart to ARAP, and so forth.

Jason
Old 06-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 SVO
Engine: Volvo headed 2.3T
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 8.8" 3.73
Your referring to whats called the "BCC" or broadcast code. At one time there was a resource available (BCC find) that would identify the original use via the four letters. For example AYBN would come up as a Typhoon or Syclone 4.3L turbo automatic truck. However due to misuse by an individual, the owner of the site hosting it.. pulled it. I don't recall coming across any indication that the letters are an acronym for anything though other than like Grumpy said as revisions were made the further down the alphabet the letters go.

BW
Old 06-22-2003, 04:01 PM

Car: Which one?
Engine: 355
Transmission: 465
Thanks people, appreciate both the correct bin, and the answer to my question! On with the show.