DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Romulator News....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 2 mice and a cat
Romulator News....

Well we will see how this post can get twisted and turned to get it locked too.

Just give it time...I'm sure it will.

I found what was wrong with my romulator and causing it to flake out every now and again or not work period.

After getting two of them sent to me and both of them doing the same thing, I was refered to George for further assistance. I tried different combinations and every time with the Romulator it would fail. Put the chip back in everything was fine.

What is turned out to be is you can't or if you do, you have to be VERY VERY careful that all the pins are clamped by the zero insertion socket when you clamp down the lever. George at Xtronics said this had him too baffeled for about a week when he was using one of these ZIF sockets on his tester unit. He said one time it would work and the next it wouldn't. Turned out to be the same problem I was having. If you look at the connector that replaces the chip, its not flat like the chips, but rather round with a larger dia pin on the upper most part, If you start to clamp the ZIF down and one of those larger barrels grab it hold the next few prongs looser. Then the vibration causes the connection to be hit or miss.

I just thought I would give you all a heads up so if anyone else has a problems with it they know what it is. Also you can remove the round pins and have just the flat leads on there. That is what I did and it works great now.

L8r.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:03 PM
TGO Supporter

So How are you going to fix it ski?
Maybe put that into a dip socket and then clam the dip into the zif?
Old 06-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 87_TA
So How are you going to fix it ski?
Maybe put that into a dip socket and then clam the dip into the zif?

Check out the last sentence of my first post

"Also you can remove the round pins and have just the flat leads on there. That is what I did and it works great now."

There an adapter plugged onto the chip like leads that can be removed. Once its removed then it looks just like a chip and it fits nicely into the ZIF adapter.

I think they just put that on there to make it a little more robust, but george said it would cause problems and they did not listen. That is why I figured I would post it here instead and maybe save someone the 1 month of screwing around it cost me.

But hey all I do it stir up trouble and call names, so what do I know
Old 06-19-2003, 08:00 AM
Banned

Well I wasn't out of the woods like I thought I was. I took the car out last night and did the needed tuning at the higher FP. Settled in on a inj const of 29.5 that held the BLMs around 127-133.

But after a short period of time the romulator started cutting out. Damn! Although its wasn't as bad as before, its still there. I was totally disgusted and returned to the garage to pull it out and go get me converntional burner/eraser. When my eye caught a box of aluminum foil sitting here. Tore off a sheet looking around to see if anyone was looking. LOL. As surely they would have thought I lost my mind at this point, but what the heck. I took the romulator out of the car and wrapped the ribbon cable carefully with the aluminum foil. Then reinstalled the system. Tok the car out and went for about a 20 mile ride with not one hickup! Holy beans. I think I found what the problem was. It must have been getting RF interference from the ignition or something. Who the heck knows. I will use it surely this weekend again and if it works out then I will perminately mount the foil on the cable for a more perminate fix.

But anyways if anyone is having problems....You might want to try this. The removal of the round pins helped some, but this seems to have cured the problem. It works for NASA so I guess it could work here too. LOL.

Edit: Don't think it matters if the shiney side is out or in