DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

maf translator!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maf translator!?

What do you guys think of this one?kvu

1?4u
is there any way to adapt a gn maf to work on a 165 ecm?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

May 1st, 2003 04:18 PM

DMan
buh bye

What is a 165 ecm?

May 5th, 2003 11:57 PM

ijames

This would be better posted to the gmecm mailing list. Go to www.diy-efi.org, then gmecm, then subscribe. Also check the archives because it may have been addressed before.

May 6th, 2003 12:59 AM

boostcreep

I know there is at least one person on this board who can do it. Maybe he'll chime in. Have you asked RBob from the thirdgen board if he can do it?

Nick

May 6th, 2003 07:49 AM

ijames

I just reread what I posted last night, and realized that it may not have sounded quite right. It's fine to discuss your question here, I didn't mean at all that it wasn't. I just think that the gmecm list will be a more knowledgeable pool of people for this particular question. I'm not very familiar with the 165 but it normally doesn't use a maf, only map, right? So far as I know the GM map sensors output a voltage which varies from 0-5 V over their pressure range. The GM maf sensors output a triangle wave (well, pretty much) whose frequncy is proportional to airflow. The ecm has to do a frequency measurement, not just a simple voltage measurement, which means a different input channel (digital instead of analog) and much different code to handle it. I think the Ford maf sensors are voltage output so it may actually be easier to use one of them, but that's the extent of my knowledge so I can't point you to any particular part number. You will still have to convert the 165 code from speed-density to maf, of course.

Oh, as a practical matter, the GN mafs have been discontinued for a few years now from GM and only remans are readily available, which have a spotty record of poor airflow housings and incorrect calibrations. More and more TR owners are converting to the LT1 or LS1 maf which is cheaper and widely available, along with the Translator from Ramchargers to handle the electronic conversion. If you stay with a GM maf, one of those would be a much better (IMHO) choice than a GN maf. Anyway, good luck.

May 6th, 2003 10:44 AM

kvu

the 165 is a maf system.

the guys at third gen hate me.I do not know why.But I guess diy-efi.org would be better.I could never figure out how the list works.I thougt you turbo guys use dig mafs for upgrade.I'm thinking of trying a gn maf/translator.The 165 reads volts but the stock code has provisions for frequency based maf.what is the freqency range of the gn maf?

Last edited by kvu on May 6th, 2003 at 10:52 AM

May 6th, 2003 10:47 AM

kvu

a mustang's maf?That is a different idea.

May 6th, 2003 10:54 AM

dennisL

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what is the freqency range of the gn maf?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34 - 150 Hz.

TA49, TTA FP, Adj. FPR, GNX style instrument cluster, lots of chrome
'70 Electra convertable (455)

May 6th, 2003 04:50 PM

kvu

that is the same Hz as the 165 maf system.I guess I'll see what it takes to enable the digital input in the code.Then get a translator for 3.5dig maf.?Do you guys use a ls1 or lt1 sensor?What is the changes made to the maf tables(on a GN) after the upgrade?I might try this soon.Thanks for the replies.

May 7th, 2003 02:25 AM

Eric Stage I
Supporting Member

No changes necessary to the maf tables (on the turbo buicks). The newer maf sensors are pretty accurate, and the Translator does a great job translating. Also, any slight variances can be corrected by the BLM's to get the A/F back to ~14.8 (assuming closed loop). In addition to that, inside the Translator box are some ***** to alter the signal if necessary.

Eric Marshall
www.turbotweak.com

May 7th, 2003 09:54 AM

kvu

Now I just need to find out how to enable freq input for the ecm.Thanks for all the help
Old 05-07-2003, 05:22 PM

Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Welcome back kvu, still causing trouble?

RBob.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Banned

Never trying to start trouble,it follows me.Anyways that is a "quote"from kvu at turbobuick.com.Will his idea work?Will a code need to enable frequency input for the 165?Does 165 auto select maf input.We know the buick's maf is the same freq as the 165.So there is no reason the translator would'nt work...?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Originally posted by grumpyx
Never trying to start trouble,it follows me.
KVU, you are banned and it's forever. Please leave.

PS: And since you are not entitled to have a voice here anymore, this post and all future posts of yours will be deleted with no explanation. You don't exist as far as www.thirdgen.org is concerned.

Goodbye.

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 05-07-2003 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:31 PM
Banned

I did'nt break any rules as 87400tpi.Dirk let me back in so I did'n just hack my way in as 87400tpi.I have been done wrong,I got a raw deal.If you want to settle things then respond to my emails.I respect you guys here,you guys need to respect me.I am a person too.So do you think my maf idea will work?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:31 PM
TGO Supporter

You are banned. Goodbye FOREVER.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:40 PM
TGO Supporter

I did'nt break any rules as 87400tpi
Irrelevant. You were banned as kvu and it's forever. DIY Prom is a priviledge, not a right. You abused your privilide last year with your HORRIBLE BEHAVIOR and ignored all warnings.

What killed you forever, was just CONSTANTLY attempting to sneak back in when you are banned.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:40 PM
Banned

Just respond to my emails and I will never post again
Old 05-07-2003, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Iroc-Z
Engine: 1 BA 305 TPI
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 - 2800 Stall Midwest
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Can everyone feel the love in this post? Hmm.. wonder how long it will take for this thread to get deleted.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Banned

quote one piece of bad advice I gave here.I bet you cant.I have always helped here.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Banned

So you cant ban me just because of kvu.Dirk told me I could come back.so that is not grounds for expulsion.I do like you glenn.I just wish people here could treat me fair.Even you glenn pleaded for traxx to unbann me.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:51 PM
Banned

Irrelevant. You were banned as kvu and it's forever. DIY Prom is a priviledge, not a right. You abused your privilide last year with your HORRIBLE BEHAVIOR and ignored all warnings.

What killed you forever, was just CONSTANTLY attempting to sneak back in when you are banned

Please listen,dirk let me back in.I did not try to sneak back here.will the translator work?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:52 PM
TGO Supporter

Just respond to my emails and I will never post again
I have nothing to say to you. I don't have time for people with your childish behavior. I don't know how old your are, but my 15 year old nephew behaves more maturely.

Sorry but you are no one I care to associate or communicate with. You can thank your constant attempts to sneak back in while you were banned as kvu for that. You made your bed, now sleep in it.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:55 PM
TGO Supporter

Please listen,dirk let me back in.I did not try to sneak back here.will the translator work?
More lies. Once banned, always banned.

How many lies do I have to catch you in ? You are pathetic.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Banned

I did not try to sneak back in after kvu ,dirk let me back in through the front door.That is what I've been trying to say.I told you glenn I did act out as kvu.But after dirk let me in I did not break any board rules.I'm not trying to act anyway .I never tried to sneak in as 87400tpi.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Banned

I did not sneak back,dirk did let me in.Just ask him I swear.I got banned because I sneaked back as 87400tpi.That was not fair I did not sneak back.I openly shown who I was.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:04 PM
TGO Supporter

Yeah, well Dirk is getting an e-mail about this. Remember this, it's TIM'S BOARD to moderate.

Bye bye liar.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Banned

who is acting like a child?If you want to slander me I'll dig up that email.Just ask dirk.I am not lying.So when dirk says he let me back in will you stop attacking me?This is unfair I was let in by dirk.I did not sneak back in as 87400tpi.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:23 PM
TGO Supporter

who is acting like a child?If you want to slander me I'll dig up that email.Just ask dirk.I am not lying.So when dirk says he let me back in will you stop attacking me?This is unfair I was let in by dirk.I did not sneak back in as 87400tpi.
Oh, then WHY didn't you go to Dirk and get kvu reinstanted if Dirk allowed you back in. Also Dirk would have talked to Tim to ask if he had any reservations about allowing you back.

Sorry, once banned always banned. Especially for the things you did as kvu.

But I will have a chat with Dirk too about this and forward a copy of the e-mail threatening to comeback using 400 different IP#s from your 30 storey office building. I'm sure Dirk will like that e-mail.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:27 PM
TGO Supporter

who is acting like a child?.
And why did you sneak in as "guy." and then deny being kvu when both I and Tim called you on it?

All you've done is red-flagged yourself permanently in the system.

But I have a long list to discuss with Dirk about how you tried sneaking in DAILY after your banning as kvu. I will make sure Dirk know ths REA kvu and why you are PERMANENTLY banned.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Banned

I did'nt threaten you with "400 ip addresses".That is taken out of context.I was just amazed each one has a ip.

I told dirk I'll go under a new name.I am not lying,dirk let me back after kvu.So my current ban is unfair.You even said in a recent post all was forgiven.The poll I posted was inspired by the sticky maf vs map.It was not an attemt to start trouble.I have been misunderstood.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Banned

yes guy. was an imposter.But he was harmless.Why do you refuse to treat me like a human?I told you dirk unbanned me.You told me the reason I recently got banned was b/c I snook back after kvu.Dirk let me in.I got attacked under the assumtion that I sneaked back in.Quote one piece of bad advice I ever gave.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:41 PM
TGO Supporter

You sent me the e-mail about having 400 IP#s to log back on, and Tim Sifford and Dirk now has it. Gee, and you even said in that e-mail that "you would no longer post on TGO"....another LIE.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Banned

you can tell dirk I'm the worst person in the world.At least now everyone knows I'm not a snake,I did not sneak back as 87400tpi.This current ban is based on a previous ban that was nulled by dirk.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:45 PM
Banned

I told you I will stop posting.I just wish someone would please explain why I recently got banned.Now you revealed it is because of kvu.Dirk unbanned me,why do you think I am a liar.I will stop posting,soon.Do you think it's fair to be banned after dirk let me in,I did not break any board rules as 87400tpi
Old 05-07-2003, 11:48 PM
TGO Supporter

yes guy. was an imposter.But he was harmless.Why do you refuse to treat me like a human?.
Your behavior as KVU and constant refusal to leave when told to do so, and constant attempts to sneak back in....just like now.

Everything about you is "an imposter". BECAUSE YOU ARE BANNED and must sneak in all the time as an imposter.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:00 AM
Banned

I did not sneak back as 87400tpi,dirk let me back.Yes glenn,I could jump on a new computer at any time to post.But I don't want to go where I'm not welcome.I just want to clear the air.You refused to reply to emails.Really I wish we could talk on the phone,I could explain everything better.But I guess it does'mt matter that I always gave good advice.I guess it does'nt matter that Dirk let me back.Glenn I wish we could switch to email
Old 05-08-2003, 12:07 AM
TGO Supporter

You are banned. It has never been removed and you are not allowed back. End of story.

Go somewhere else, you burnt your bridge here.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:13 AM
Banned

Dirk unbanned 87400tpi,nobody should have banned that user name.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:25 AM
Banned

Glenn you have said things on thhis board that was just a bad a kvu.
To all. I want to apologize for the pounding and humiliation I did to 87400TPI/kvu/formula5/Tim in the post aboves.

Remainder edited by Glenn91L98GTA due to lack of technical content.

Last edited by Glenn91L98GTA on 04-28-2003
you can paint me any color to dirk.But you know I am not a bad person.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:52 AM
Banned

this is where the misunderstanding started,
Why are you trying or insisting on restarting this stupid MAF vs SD debate? It's been argued to death and frankly, anyone who restarts it should be banned. PERIOD
I was not trying to restart maf vs map traxx did post a sticky on it.At that point I thought it was fare game to compare systems.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:59 AM
Banned

Traxx go ahead,delete this like it never happened.But first lend an ear.Just tell me why you guys don't like me.Do you feel I don't know what I'm talking about,I don't deserve to be here?Do you just find me annoying?What is it,I do want to stop posting here but nobody will say what the problem is.I know you guys don't like me.But I have alot of emails by members that think I'm getting a raw deal.They seen the carnage of glenns post before his edits.I just wish you guys would stop trash talking and do one of two things tell me what I've done wrong as 87400tpi or tell me if my idea for a dig maf will work??
Old 05-08-2003, 06:33 AM

Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
But first lend an ear.Just tell me why you guys don't like me.Do you feel I don't know what I'm talking about,I don't deserve to be here?Do you just find me annoying?What is it,I do want to stop posting here but nobody will say what the problem is.I know you guys don't like me.
Some of it is just too obvious, such as the name you chose to use. I see it as a dig on someone else.

RBob.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Banned

I see your point rbob.But I have people that think I'm a liar.Dirk let me back in as 87400tpi.The mods here thought I sneaked back in as 87400tpi.That is the reason I'm banned.But I did'nt sneak back,dirk said it was ok.At some point the mods here will need to deal with me,instead of banning me w/o justfication.Treating me like some piece of trash,kick me to da curb.The could have pulled me to the side and told me what's wrong.But instead they choose to black ball me.This could be my last thread,if someone want's to treat me with respect.I was banned beacuse of kvu.Dirk said I can post as 87400tpi.But glenn thinks I am lying.So the unjust ban continues.I did not use grumpyx as an insult to other members.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 SVO
Engine: Volvo headed 2.3T
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 8.8" 3.73
heh.... back again, kvu?

good lord.. so many aliases..
Old 05-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Banned

All I'm asking for is to be treated like a human,not some piece of trash.

Really the reason I posted is to get everyones input on my project.I will try to get the dig maf to work.I would still like to post the results for everyone.If it works then I will have done a great service to the maf comunity. I would like to share the progress woth you all.

I invite everyone to search under some of my old names.Most popular: kvu, formula5,87400tpi.There is over 1000 post that you can look through.I bet nobody can find one bit of bad advice I gave.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:56 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by RBob
Some of it is just too obvious, such as the name you chose to use. I see it as a dig on someone else.

RBob.
Exactly. Another childish display of a desperate person with no friends.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Banned

glenn you honestly misunderstood that.I used grumpyx to highlight myself.I want to have a fair logical exchange up front.I am not sneaking around.Glenn you really dont understand.I have alot of friends.I have 4 brothers.Trust me I have better things to do.I just don't want people to think I'm a bad person.I have been slandered on this board.But I'm not mad I just want people to know I'm not a bad person.Glenn if your really sorry about slamming me in that one post then just hear me out.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

I am new to the DIY prom board. What was it that this guy did that is so bad for you 2 to get on here and post this many times? I really can't believe that the moderators haven't locked this thread. Talking about NON-TECHNICAL information. I went into this thread about "MAF TRANSLATORS" thinking there would be some good technical information(that is what we are here for). I'm not sure what the guy did but I hope he killed someone or robbed a bank or something to recieve this much abuse. Let the guy post as long as he keeps it clean and about CARS. I may be out of line here. I don't know. I am just curious about what he did to get him banned. Was he put on probation before he was banned? If he was warned and he still didn't follow the rules, then sorry dude, find another site to get your 3rd gen info.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:49 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by jfreeman74
I am new to the DIY prom board. What was it that this guy did that is so bad for you 2 to get on here and post this many times? I really can't believe that the moderators haven't locked this thread.
First, MAF Translator is electronics and should be posted there. DIY Prom is software. This post is electronics oriented.

As for why kfu/grumpyx/87400TPI/formula5/guy. was originally ban, it's old news and this is not the forum. Once banned, always banned forever. No more discussion. He was warned last year when it occurred, and he ignored our warnings and continued with his constantly fighting with one member in particular, bad behavior and inability to control himself.

Then he continuously tried to "sneak back in" (like now) and continue ... Much like an escaped convict attempting to hide his identity and pretend that "nothing happened". Sorry, he still did the crime, now he's paying the price.

DIY Prom is a priviledge, not a right.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
I used grumpyx to highlight myself.

Ya, rather then work at developing a reputation, you just decided to see how much attention you could get for free.

Rather then try to contribute, you do nothing but troll and bash.

You try to extrapolate findings from one car into universal statements, and when are wrong you want to argue.

You bait converstations, and sandbag others. Pretend to be who you are not. In other words, lie, and then wonder why on one likes you.

If you or your pals had been keeping up with all the threads instead of playing games, you'd see where I've left enough clues to use the MAF in about any application. Might stroll over to the GNTtype archives, and hunt there also for more.
Yep, since you and others have taken the technical content out of so many posts, I've taken to hiding some answers, and going off list with some folks. Just cause I get tired of correcting people that make no effort to really post accurate data.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Banned

this is an email to my friend,
I am not aware of a general feeling that I'm a liar.The only thing I can say is all my post are in the archives.I can stand by my post,no lies I'm aware of?The shadyest thing I did was posting as guy.But that was not something that people started calling me a liar for.

I want not trying to push the mods.People always love me or hate me.The mods at tgo appear to hate me.So any of my post are repulsive to them.Like this one,I was trying to see if 6E had a hidden table for ppm or vss.I thought you was suppose to post things like that so new tables can be exposed.But glenn treated me like I'm wanted a handout.I don't get it??? https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...=gear+87400tpi

Just check out my "poll thread".This is why I posted a poll.Glenn just posted he has no hard feeling towards me.So I look on the board and see a sticky,maf vs map.This was made by a mod.So I thought people could openly compare systems.Well, the sticky was locked.The linked threads inside appeared to ran their course.So I posted a poll to see where things stand.The only error I made was in the tittle.It had too much personality.They raped me then banned me.Just for posting a poll .That took it over the edge.wtf??? https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=176235

Here is a post that proves I've been burning since 2001.I was formula5.The mods was just trying to make me look bad.I can't tell you why the tried to diminish my time tuning.
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...light=formula5

I will say this,I was not starting trouble.I was just ready for them this time.I did not lose my cool,they did.I just read the prom board today I am happy to see a couple of threads that proves MY motivations at tgo.

This shows that I know what I'm doing.Remember without my thread these folks might not have cared to get their system precise.I do like helping people alot.
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=175768

This poor member has to post 3 times with no replies.I feel sorry for people like that.That was me when I first started.The mods just overlooked that.
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=175768

The reason for formula5,kvu "alias" is because I forgot mypassword as formula5.When I tried to get a new one it was sent to an old address.So I emailed people at tgo to keep my original name.I got no reply.So I just typed in the random kvu and moved on.Then I got banned because the mods fought me over using the maf tables.About a year later I emailed dirk to get back in.He let me in so I just made a new name.87400tpi was abused then banned.Now I am just poping up there to show people I am not a bad person.I do not know dirks user name,sorry.

Do you guys really think I'm that bad of a person?
Old 05-10-2003, 03:00 PM

Car: 98 Camaro SS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M6
Can you take this crap to email?

If I wanted drama I'd turn on TV.. not read it when I'm trying to find INFORMATION on a tech board.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Banned

look at the original post.It was technical in nature.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:47 PM
TGO Supporter

look at the original post.It was technical in nature.
It's electronics and should have been asked on the Electronics Board not DIY Prom.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

I haven't read anything in this thread that belongs on any of the board on Thirdgen.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Banned

so I guess asking if the code "auot selects" maf input has nothing to do with the code??So what did dirk say about all this,glenn?I still respect you glenn even if you hate my guts and think I am lying.You ase jush honestly wrong.Read that email I posted with the links,tell me I'm the devil.I just can't understand why you hate me so bad.Grumpy is the same way.I just don't get it.Grumpy has slandered me in this one but I refuse to reply to his rhetoric.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
Woohoo! I was in Indianapolis at the National F-Body motorsports event. Been away with no computer access for the past 5 days.

Tim