DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

GM ECM or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM ECM or aftermarket?

How do the GM ECM's compare with thye common aftermarket types in terms of speed, resolution, processing power etc? The common school of thought seems to be that the GM units run rings around almost any aftermarket types but in what way? Why are they better?
Old 03-16-2003, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Well I have limited experience with Gm ECM's, but I think the only aftermarket ECM's that are worth the $$ are the ones for F/I applications. ECM's that can calculate A/F ratio in relation to boost. Speed Pro's F.A.S.T. would be a good example. But even then you can find a cheaper alternative using GM ECM's (749 SyTy ECM for example).

What is basically comes down to is that if you're willing to take the time (blood sweat and tears) to learn the GM stuff then its good enough for anything the weekend warrior can come up with. Those $$ aftermarket ECM's probably are easier to setup and tune, but thats why you're paying the $$.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: GM ECM or aftermarket?

Originally posted by PerthZ28
How do the GM ECM's compare with thye common aftermarket types in terms of speed, resolution, processing power etc? The common school of thought seems to be that the GM units run rings around almost any aftermarket types but in what way? Why are they better?
An engine operates at EXTREMELY slow speeds, in comparison to processing power. A 3-4 Mhz processor is plenty fast, anything more then that is just for grins.

Using the right ecm gives you more then enough resolution. Remember these are designed to keep the EPA, folks happy.

What aftermarket co., has 2% of the resourses GM does for designing their stuff?.

You can afford to carry a spare junkyard GM ECM, how many folks can carry a spare aftermarket one?.

Many of the aftermarkets don't even allow you to run a Converter lockup.

They'll hype themselves to death over non-issues, just to try and sell something.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:50 AM

The common school of thought seems to be that the GM units run rings around almost any aftermarket types but in what way? Why are they better?
Does answering a question with a question count?

It's easy to get cheap ECM's with not only >1 bar MAP sensor capacity, but knock control, IAC capacity and closed loop feedback.

However, I'd be interested to know what's the cheapest price for an ECM that has the Delco's Limp home mode (the car will run without the Memcal), can work around sensor loss, has a lean cruise mode, 70 different ways to control idle quality (I may be exaggerating to make a point) and has on-board diagnostics.

John

Last edited by JohnL; 03-18-2003 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:55 AM

Give me a yell , I am in Perth and can get yah started.

Old 03-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by Tomcat
Give me a yell , I am in Perth and can get yah started.
So your doing DIY?.
Or does he need to throw lots of money while yelling?. LOL
Old 03-19-2003, 12:55 AM

Yeah I agree that if you research it enough, you can get much better results from the Delco product than the aftermarket. Well cheaper too! Boards like this are a HUGE help!

Hey Tomcat - where in Perth are ya?
Old 03-19-2003, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Grumpy
So your doing DIY?.
Or does he need to throw lots of money while yelling?. LOL
No totally DIY Grumpy , always willing to meet someone who is interested in the same sort of stuff as me. Us EFI car nerds are a rare breed especially in Aus

Yes I do now make a living from Dyno Tuning but only from those who cant be bothered putting in the effort to sort it out themselves and from those wanting to hire my dyno to test.
No I dont sell kalmaker but I do use it from time to time as well as working in hex

PerthZ28 I am in Maddington
Old 03-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Banned

Re: Re: GM ECM or aftermarket?

Nobody answered. So I deleted the question..............

Last edited by need4speed; 03-23-2003 at 02:49 PM.