DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

New bin editing software (and ECU's too!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 08:46 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
New bin editing software (and ECU's too!)

Hi guys (and gals?) -

I've just uploaded beta version 0.9b of GMECM Edit. This software is my solution to some of the shortcoming of Winbin (which, by the way, is a great program!).

I'd like to ask as many of you as possible to tear through the software and let me know what suggestions you have or bugs you find. This software is freeware and I intend to continue to support it to oblivion. Let it be your software!

The software lacks the "graphing" feature of Winbin, but I never personally used that.

Feature suggestions and bugs should either be posted in this thread or emailed to mmansur at hotmail.

I've also included a new (or updated, rather) ECU file for $6E users called 6Ev10.ecu. This is the same as 6Ev9, but with a couple of syntax fixes (missing commas) and all the available shift light parameters/tables added. Hope you like it!

Download it here (sorry for the ads if you get any, had to go to a free server =( ):
http://www.geocities.com/cccmangus/gmecmedit/

Please, please help me out and let me know what you want with this software!

Mark

Last edited by Mangus; 02-07-2003 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
Awesome! Love to see this kinda stuff!

Suggestions/comments? Here:

- Make the window more expandable so folks with higher resolution can see more at once.
- Watch out for error trapping when changing values since going below zero blows stuff up. This is important with the compound byte stuff too (ie. FI size, etc). Is equation at bottom correct for multi-byte values? If it would be that'd be sweet.
- Display calc values not just hex (I'm sure you're all over this one). (OK, figured out via right click, cool!)
- Allow metric or US units.
- Extend the BIN stacking tool to allow for auto-4000 offset, 8x or 16x BIN collections, and saving of collection info. This would be one more step toward an all-in-one software solution.
- Add the graphing stuff. Once you've played with it where you can click-and-drag values on a plot like in TunerCat, it's hard to go back.
- Make tables and such so that you can copy & paste stuff from Excel or elsewhere.
- Love the built-in ECU editor!
- To avoid confusion, may want to use a different file extension than the *.ECU one. But then again, you have it in the same format, so they should exchange readily. Looks great!
- Suggestion: Can you set up the byte box so that it will let you scroll through the values and see them at once rather than having to highlight to see the individual ones? It'd help when just scanning through a BIN. Same could be said for the Flags section. Tables would be kinda tough. You've got a lot of real estate dedicated to the Flags section, could use it for something else, don't know.
- Allow multiple table windows to be opened at once? Makes comparison of different stuff easier. Can you run this program in multiple instances to allow for BIN comparisons? Could be helpful.
- Excess trailing zeroes on some calc'd values. Maybe some way to specify to make it a little more streamline?
- Some sort of auto-annotate function which would add commentary regarding changes that are made from one revision to another like "FI Size 21.0 -> 23.0", just a thought. Could be helpful in tracking changes over time. Not really needed, just thinking.
- Auto-upload/download functions for LT1 application reflashing.
- Support for later-model LT1/LS1 reflash and program download.
- Expansion of ECU support to EEC-IV/V, Honda, etc.
- Built-in datalogging functionality with graphing support for all cars including OBD-2 and coming OBD3 systems.

Looks great Mark, glad to see this!
Old 02-08-2003, 12:36 AM
TGO Supporter

my idol chimes in! Yes! (I have lots of respect for you, Craig). Thanks for the feedback!

regarding the graphing, I'll certainly look into this. However, it won't be an easy feature to implement, as I'm coding in straight-win32 and not MFC or ATL (which has nice controls for that kind of thing built in). This means I'd have to write this control myself (much like I had to do for the tab control used in the table editor - took me forever!). I'll certainly investigate.

Regarding error control - I plan to continually improve that, including syntax error checking when you load ECU files that were hand made. This will get better ... =)

Regarding window sizing ... somewhere around v2.0 I plan to have an entirely new UI, including individual windows for each editor "constant, table, flag". This addresses your comment about the flag editor taking up lots of real estate.

Regarding Expansion of ECU support to EEC-IV/V, Honda, etc. - send me some examples of these ECU's and I'll look through them and make the changes to support them.

Regarding LT1 reflashing, I would need more information on this, as I know nothing about it.

I don't follow you on your suggesting regarding the byte box and scrolling through all at once. Can you explain?

regarding using a different extension than .ecu - I want to stick to this as the "default" format, as enough people seem to support it and use it in winbin, etc. Now, I'm all about furthering this format (including adding fields to it for "more information", etc. However, because the ecu file format was developed by someone else, I'd hate to step on toes. Maybe we could create a committee to discuss the direction of this file format?

Metric vs US units. got it. should be easy enough.

um, dont remember what else you had to say. Lots of food for thought! thanks!

M

Last edited by Mangus; 02-08-2003 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:52 AM
TGO Supporter

oops. double reply. sorry!
Old 02-08-2003, 01:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: GTA -89
Engine: Blown 415"
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt
This looks great! much more user friendy than Winbin.

Only problem is that "the program performs a illegal operation and will be shut down" when I look at the "tables" and clicks enter.......

/N.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:59 AM

Mark,
I've tried to run the program with an ECU file for the Australian '808 from the GMECM Incoming site:

1227808_5d.ecu.

I get the error, "Invalid Item, Data/Syntax: Item Number 138".
It takes about 15 clicks to clear the error. When I load the .BIN, it produces a fatal error.

This may be just something I'm doing wrong of course- I'd love to check out your editor though!

John
Old 02-08-2003, 11:56 AM

Car: 89 Shortbox
Engine: 350 Vortec
Transmission: 700r4
When trying to open a 32K bin (730 ecm), I get "bad file error not 16K".
Old 02-08-2003, 04:51 PM
TGO Supporter

the "bad syntax" error is most likely due to a missing {, }, comma, or ; at the item number first specified. open the ecu with a text editor and verify that the syntax is correct.

when you get fatal/unhandled exceptions, let me know what OS you're running and what actions caused the exception. I only have XP systems at home and at work, so I couldn't test on win 98 or ME.

Also, if certain ECU's give you trouble, email them to me. mmansur at hotmail dot com.

Keep at it guys! We'll get these bugs nailed down!
Old 02-08-2003, 05:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by Low C1500
When trying to open a 32K bin (730 ecm), I get "bad file error not 16K".
fixed. forgot to increase the max bin size beyond 16k (oops!).

I'll release a fixed version around the end of the weekend. with as many fixes as I can get in ...

m
Old 02-08-2003, 05:22 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by JohnL
Mark,
I've tried to run the program with an ECU file for the Australian '808 from the GMECM Incoming site:

1227808_5d.ecu.

I get the error, "Invalid Item, Data/Syntax: Item Number 138".
It takes about 15 clicks to clear the error. When I load the .BIN, it produces a fatal error.

This may be just something I'm doing wrong of course- I'd love to check out your editor though!

John
So I just checked this ECU file out, and sure enough, if you open the ECU with a text editor and scroll to item 138, you'll notice its missing the }; at the end of the item. There is a missing comma in item 100, too.

future versions of GMECM Edit will hopefully have some features that will help correct faulty syntax automatically.

Again, to fix your ecu, add a comma to item 100 and a }; to item 138.

Last edited by Mangus; 02-09-2003 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:00 PM

Car: 1987 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: L98
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 7.625 10 bolt/3.73s
I think you just made Winbin obsolete, great program. Once graphing and compare functions are employed, it will definately be par with Tunercat, we just need some good ECUs.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Excellent! Thanks!

So, I plan to add some nifty compare features first, followed by some graphing capability (though probably not initially with the ability to drag nodes).

You guys who are seeing crashes, could you please send me your system specs as well as the ecu & bin zipped? I'd love to get these worked out.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:18 PM

Car: 85 Corvette
Engine: 355 Superram
Transmission: 700R4 Transgo Shift Kit
Great program. When I clicked on 'Legend' after double clicking a table title to view the values, I get an error message 'GMECMEDIT caused an error in GMECMEDIT' and I have to close the program. I'm using the 6E 10 ecu and the ARAP bin. Computer is running a Duron 700MHZ and Windows ME. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:02 PM

One thing I liked in Winbin was changing the constants using the arrows rather than entering a desired value then it rounding it to the closest value, would that be hard to add? I've started to edit the $8d ecu so it is easy to understand and have correct lables but I can only do so much without a hack, maybe someone can donate a tdf for a guide? Also, can you give me an example of how to add text to the help box, I can start to add the basic stuff but Im kinda waiting on funstick to see his info he is making.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:21 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by PLANT PROTECTION
One thing I liked in Winbin was changing the constants using the arrows rather than entering a desired value then it rounding it to the closest value, would that be hard to add? I've started to edit the $8d ecu so it is easy to understand and have correct lables but I can only do so much without a hack, maybe someone can donate a tdf for a guide? Also, can you give me an example of how to add text to the help box, I can start to add the basic stuff but Im kinda waiting on funstick to see his info he is making.

did you try the + and - in the numpad (and even the + and - next o 0 on the main keyboard)? =)

Also, there is a help file with quick keys listed in it.

About the help box ... We need to start a thread (which I will do) on extending the ECU file format to support more fields (such as a help field). The help field will be disabled until we (as a group) decide on this.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Bee-Bowdy
Engine: blowd tree-fity
Transmission: sebin hunnerd
Axle/Gears: fo-tins
Looks good! I like the layout and all the thought that went into it.

I dunno if I'm the only one but I can't really do anything with the editor yet. I get the syntax error if I try to do anything. I realize that it will get better as time goes on...

Anyway...here's my 7747 ECU file for WinBin. Maybe you can use it somehow. If it isn't in there, then you prolly don't need it

well, my ECU is too big to attach. If you want you can FTP it from here:
ftp://24.101.142.68/V8AstroCaptainStuff/7747-mine.ecu
Old 02-12-2003, 05:58 PM
TGO Supporter

What OS are you running that gives you errors?
Old 02-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Mangus
What OS are you running that gives you errors?
Win 98
Old 02-12-2003, 06:41 PM

Seems rather pointless, as an alternative that has all of these capabilities and more, already exists :

GMPCM Software
Old 02-12-2003, 06:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by Mechanic
Seems rather pointless, as an alternative that has all of these capabilities and more, already exists :

GMPCM Software
your "pointless" compliment is much appreciated, Mechanic.

Pointless or not, I offer yet another alternative (an easier to use alternative, in my opinion).

Unlike you, I do this for free. Your comments aren't appreciated. Lets keep this constructive.

Last edited by Mangus; 02-12-2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:51 PM

Car: 89 Shortbox
Engine: 350 Vortec
Transmission: 700r4
His work isn't pointless at all, this program is goingto make life easier for alot of people.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

All the programs look good. The more FREE programs that are out there the more resources the DIY'er has.

Rock on Mangus...
Old 02-12-2003, 08:06 PM

The fact is gentlemen, that projects such as these may start out as "free", but after the appreciable time that it takes to refine such an effort, they rarely remain that way. If they do, they typically end up stagnant and unsuported by the develeper (eg. Winbin).

A small donation to support software that far exceeds the capabitlies of packages that cost over $100 is considered quite a bargain by the average DIY'er. It also ensure's that the software will not end up as just a fleeting and forgotten idea, after the developer decides he has more important things to spend his time on. Even Craig M. uses donations now as a vehicle to promote his efforts. I have found that the best way to encourage donation is to offer added value. GMPCM is a free GM binary hacking and definition creation utility, that offers extended binary editing capabilties and much more for a small $15 registration fee.

Last edited by Mechanic; 02-12-2003 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:08 PM
TGO Supporter

But what is ACTUALLY relevant, is that I don't need to have my project called pointless.

Regarding the rest of your comments, I invite you to email me and we can take it offline.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350, ZZ4 equivalent
Transmission: Pro-Built Road Race 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Dana 44
Your software is very nice, if you add some of the stuff Craig takes about it would be awesome! I think a cool feature would have an info field so when you click on each value in the prom it will explain what it is. I don’t see why people are putting you down, it’s stupid and counter productive. The more stuff there is out there to help with tuning the better!
Old 02-14-2003, 02:52 PM
TGO Supporter

Thanks for all the kind words.

By chance, is there anyone who is running this in windows 98 (1st or 2nd edition) or WinME and NOT getting crashes when the table editor is open?
Old 02-15-2003, 01:56 PM

The software worked flawless on my main box running XP but when I installed the software on my tuning laptop running win98 1st ed. I was experiencing lockups like you said, and when I changed only some constants and saved the bin it made it 64kb!
Old 02-15-2003, 03:22 PM
TGO Supporter

heh. sucky. looks like I'm gonna have to spend some time putting together some systems to fix this. meanwhile, don't use this software on win98 (and I'll guess winME too).

sorry guys. hold tight, I'll have it fixed soon ...

m
Old 02-18-2003, 06:24 PM
TGO Supporter

OK guys ... the bug that crashed the app in win98/ME when the table editor is open has been fixed.

I could not repro the 64k bin problem mentioned above, so I couldn't dig into it.

If you were having trouble running the app before, download the newest version (http://www.markmansur.com/gmecmedit/) and have at it.

As always, let me know about issues/bugs you find or features you'd like!

M
Old 02-19-2003, 02:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 GMC Pickup
Engine: 383 SBC Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4/VIG 3200
Version 9b seemed to work a couple of weeks ago but now all I get is the message:

File is not 16384 bytes (16k) bad / incomplete file.

I'm loading ECU from 9b:

1227730_8d.ecu

and the bin file I've been editing with TC for ages, it's a 32k file, not 16k, but it's supposed to be 32k.

I'm running Win98.

I've tried loading the bin first, same message, the ECU first, same message. Am I missing something? I'll look at it some more.

Thanks

Last edited by SMasterson; 02-19-2003 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:42 PM
TGO Supporter

ugh ... no, not your fault. I forked my development tree ...

This is fixed. I'm uploading the fixed version now ... (done). Version is still 0.92b.

Over the next couple weeks, ya'all might want to check back often for updates. I'll probably be releasing them every couple of days ... Thanks for your patience!

M

Last edited by Mangus; 02-19-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:07 PM
TGO Supporter

I just uploaded version 0.93b.

Fixes/additions include:

- fixed - bug where bin was 64k when saved, no matter what.
- fixed - bug where you couldn't load bins larger than 16k.
- added - compare feature for constants and flags. Tables coming shortly...
- fixed - various crashes in win98 and winME.

<A HREF="http://wwww.markmansur.com/gmecmedit">download it!</a>
Old 02-21-2003, 10:52 PM

So far this software has worked flawlessly on my computer using WIN 98. I'm just getting into playing with BIN's and I find this program eaiser to use and more straightforward then WinBIN. Thanks and excellent work!
Old 02-22-2003, 04:29 AM

Car: 1987 Formula 350
Engine: 6.0 boost and smak
Transmission: 4l80e
Axle/Gears: 9bolt 3.27
so far i haven't been able to run it yet because i am still in the R&D part of this DIY, but no problems, with XP Pro, and the extra view for the tables was a great idea, i have a multi-monitor setup on my desktop, where i do all the editing for now, do you have any idea on when the "Selection Info" window will be up and running, i would like to be able to exsplain it to some friends, so maybe sometime in the future the will get rid of their Carb.....lol
Old 02-23-2003, 01:59 PM
TGO Supporter

thanks chevyguy.

In order to get the "selection info" to function, I need to decide whether or not I want to expand the ecu file format myself and provide backwards compatability with the "current" ecu file format (via an export feature). This would allow me to add some more fields to the format while giving the user the option of exporting their ECU to the original format in case they want to use other people's software with their ECU's. Another option is to have a second file that contains the extra fields, which would allow me to keep the original ECU file format. I thing the former is the better solution.

I'll be working on this (multi-table, extended ecu, other bug fixes) in the coming week or two. check back every couple of days for updates!

Thanks guys!

M
Old 02-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

I dunno if it's too late for this, but you know how WinBin can switch between the "calculated" values and the "raw" values? That would be cool if your program did that. Sometimes when looking in the tables numbers like 34 or 78 are easier to look at than 3.45 and 17.27...ya know?

later
Old 02-23-2003, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like it. I am new to editing and loaded Tunercat a few days ago and paid the $90.00 for registration and the $8D definition file and now I kinda wish I hadn't.

Keep up the good work.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:13 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by V8Astro Captain
I dunno if it's too late for this, but you know how WinBin can switch between the "calculated" values and the "raw" values? That would be cool if your program did that. Sometimes when looking in the tables numbers like 34 or 78 are easier to look at than 3.45 and 17.27...ya know?

later
try right-clicking. or the preferences menu. =)
Old 02-24-2003, 02:47 PM

Just a quick question, when I open up the spark correction or spark advance table, I don't get values on the y axis for RPM's, just dots in all the blocks where the RPM values should be. I get the load variable values and whatnot along the x axis, but nothing on the y. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-24-2003, 02:52 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by Chevyguy1984
Just a quick question, when I open up the spark correction or spark advance table, I don't get values on the y axis for RPM's, just dots in all the blocks where the RPM values should be. I get the load variable values and whatnot along the x axis, but nothing on the y. Am I doing something wrong?
I'm guessing you're running win98/ME...

This is a known problem that I'm working on. You're doing nothing wrong. =) Should be fixed in the next revision ...

Thanks for letting me know!
Old 02-24-2003, 03:10 PM

Yep, Win98, awesome work .
Old 02-24-2003, 08:19 PM
TGO Supporter

version 0.94b released.

Several small fixes including the ellipsis in the table editor in win98/ME.

<a href="http://www.markmansur.com/gmecmedit/">Download</a>