DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

CM VEPhD program?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CM VEPhD program?

How do you use this program? I have the TC program for my 7309 ecm yet can not copy and paste because the program has map values different than mine. Map values are every 5 incerments from 20-100. My definition is 20-60 by 5inc, then goes to 10 from 60 - 70 ----100 so I can not copy and paste. OR am i doing something wrong?
Old 01-15-2003, 11:55 PM

Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 5.3L
Transmission: Jerico
Axle/Gears: Aluminum 8.6 w/ T2R
The tables aren't going to match up, and I don't really like the way that the VEPHD program devides them. It's too broad at higher RPMs. I'm going to try to change this when I get a chance so that I can cut and paste from tunner car directly into the VEPHD program. But to get it to work the way the program is now, you need to cut and paste the tables from tunercat into a excell spreadsheet, then interpolate the missing values that are needed for the VEPHD.exe program. By interpolate, I mean that the value needs to be estimated through a linear calculation between the nearest 2 known points. I can explain furthur if you need me to. Also check this out: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=147924
Old 01-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
OK, it's time for at least a word or two of explanation I suppose. You can do much of what you want to do with the program as is (well , sort of as-is).

I know, I'm terrible at documentation, and I could probably make a few of these files up that would actually match the program up with output from ECM852 as well as different ECMs, just haven't had the time.

If you look at the file called vephddat.csv, you will find most everything you need. For instance,

- Map table segments, map table values, rpm table segments, rpm table values. Here you can specify the size as well as the intervals on your TunerCat VE tables. Once set, the program will properly interpolate to generate your tables. To do this externally, you need not!

- Row to start reading data, row to end reading data. You can specify this to skip 'header' information in the datalog file, and tell it when to quit picking stuff out of the data file. Usually you want to go to the end, so zero for the end is fine.

- Default filenames. You set this to whatever you want.

- Total data columns in file. I forget what this is needed for. It might be for wraparound (I think it is) , so you need to specify the number of data columns in the log file. For a ECM852 log, I forget how many different columns of values there are, but you'll have to specify that count here. If it's wrong everything will be all fked up.

- Column number for MAP, RPM. This is self explanatory. Specifies where to find the MAP & RPM data in the log file. This way it knows what corresponds to what in terms of the tabular arrangement.

- Column # for BLM, INT, Cell#. Also self explanatory. Should be specified as needed according to the log format. HOWEVER, take note that you could use some different specifications here if you wanted to avarage some different values. For instance, if you wanted to log O2 volts and average them into areas, that you could do too.

OK, after doing some documentation (about as good as it's going to get I'm afraid), it DOES look like a 730 / ECM852 vephddat.csv file is needed. Anyone want to take a stab?

One thing I know that is needed is some sort of better user interface to allow customization without getting into the CSV file. Also need to do some more to provide for non-BLM/INT value averaging. Also need to have some sort of enable/disable provision for including/excluding values based on TPS threshold, WOT/Open loop/Closed loop status, etc.

Wow, I feel better now. Briefly. Gotta go to work now, late...
Old 01-16-2003, 06:44 PM

I noticed that I was logging data with an older version of CM software. I believ it was ECM851. Could this be why I couldn't get the VEPhd to output me any variations in the tables. Also, BIG-MODS do you know right off hand what information you entered into the "vephddat.csv" file?
Old 02-14-2004, 12:25 PM

OK, I'm just getting back to this stuff and am a little confused. When you speak of no. of colunms in a file, what is that refering to? the number of columns down from the data? for example, if it were a large run of data, it would need to know how much data as in the no. of columns down? Also, ont eh vephdin.csv, what is the column no. for cell no? BLM cell? row M? Also, what are map table segments -17 and map table values 18?

OK, just did what I thought was right. PUt in 55 for rows on a run i did last year becasue it was 55 lines downward. I renamed the file to new v.csv. Ran teh vephd program and then opened up the new file. One table 1-2 blm1, all zero's, then, tables 3-6 = 128, table 7-9 =0's, tables 10 = 1's, 11 = all 0's. Sorry, i dont' understand, am I doing something wrong? does this program need to be running on the car collecting data while the engine is running? OR is is supposed to be collecting data while the car is running? Sorry, i'm having a bit of a problem understanding this stuff

On a side note, My wife works with excell every day @ work and can make spread sheats to our needs if we or I can tell her what is needed. On that note, please, communicate with me so we can get what we need to work such a program.

Thank you for the help!

Raiden

Last edited by Raiden; 02-14-2004 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:58 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
I have a 730 ECM and this is my vephddat.csv file. I also use the abrieveiated output from Craig's software.

I'm gonna go through it line by line and explain what each line is for. Then I'll post the whole thing again. By default the program should have a file in this format so just edit it for what you need.

vephdin.csv Default input filename
This is the default name of the logged data file.
vephdout.csv Default output filename
This is the name of the defalt output file.
3 Row to start reading data
This line tells the program to goto the third line before starting to read
0 Row to end reading data (zero for end of file)
This line tells the program when to stop reading rows. I'd leave it at 0 so that it'd read the whole file.
26 Total data columns in file
This is the total number of vertical columns in the file. For CM's it's 26.

The following group of lines specify why vertical column contains the data. To find this out load up the output file from the scanning software and count from the left side, beginning at 1, over to the column containing the corresponding data. These numbers are for CM's software.
25 Column # for MAP
2 Column # for RPM
14 Column # for BLM 1
0 Column # for BLM 2 (0 if only one)
15 Column # for INT 1
0 Column # for INT 2 (0 if only one)
13 Column # for Cell Number

These following lines have to do with the MAP values. The first line tells the program that you want your map data broken into 17 parts. The lines after this tell it the boundaries on these groups. For example I want MAP data between 20-25 to be put into one group, 25-30 in another and so forth.
17 Map table segments
20 Map table values

This following section has to do with the RPM. It works just like the MAP section. It says that it wants the data to be broken into 23 groups. If you want smaller groups in the upper RPM band you can change it. By default it is set up corresponding to how it is broken up in the PROM.
23 RPM table segments
400 RPM table values
Old 02-14-2004, 03:07 PM

VEPHD does not need to be running while the car is running. All you need is the output file from datalogging. For example:

Get CM's software and go makes some log files.

Put the output file in the same directory as VEPHD.

Edit the vephddat.csv file for your data's format.

Run VEPHD with your file names.

Open the VEPHD VE Calculator.xls file.

Open the VEPHD output file (by default vephdout.csv.

While looking at the output file in excel press "cntrl and a" at the same time. Then press "cntrl and c" at the same time. This should select all the data and copy it.

Switch over to the VEPHD VE Calculator file. At the bottom select the "VEPHDOUT Template (paste here)" tab. Click on the top left most cell and press "cntl and v" at the same time. This should paste over the old data and cause the info on the other tabs to update.

I'll try to answer any other questions you have. Let me know.

David
Old 02-14-2004, 03:31 PM

David,

THANK YOU!!!! Also, my wife is willing to set up a spread sheet to convert the info to achieve the perfect 128 blm. She needs to know what values to use for the factor. She's a whiz @ excell, uses it ed. So if you can helpme out, I'll give the sheet to Craig to put on his site, if it works correctly. A person on this fourm gave me a similar spread sheet. I'm sure the CM vephd program does exaclty what we or I need, however, I would like to get a sheet so we could plug in teh numbers for any ecm....not sure if that will work with craigs program?

Raiden

Last edited by Raiden; 02-14-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Black 91 Z28
[B]VEPHD does not need to be running while the car is running. All you need is the output file from datalogging. For example:

$$$ Get CM's software and go makes some log files.

$$$ Put the output file in the same directory as VEPHD.
??? Edit the vephddat.csv file for your data's format.
RENAME IT TO XXXXX.csv?

??? Run VEPHD with your file names.
open new name files XXXX.csv?

$$$ Open the VEPHD VE Calculator.xls file.

$$$ Open the VEPHD output file (by default vephdout.csv.

While looking at the output file in excel press "cntrl and a" at the same time. Then press "cntrl and c" at the same time. This should select all the data and copy it.

Switch over to the VEPHD VE Calculator file. At the bottom select the "VEPHDOUT Template (paste here)" tab. Click on the top left most cell and press "cntl and v" at the same time. ???????

box 1A? If so, I did this and the calculator went into an excell sheet tables downward, what am i looking for here?

This should paste over the old data and cause the info on the other tabs to update.

I'll try to answer any other questions you have. Let me know.

Thank You David!

Raiden
Old 02-14-2004, 04:28 PM

Cool, happy that it works for you. What you've talked about doing with a spread sheet and more is done by VEPHD. The real "magic" of the program is its ability to group the data. It collects the data at every RPM-MAP cell and averages it. This is what is so cool about the program

There might be a way to do this in excel but I'm not aware of it. Then you run that averaged data through the little formula that pops up when you run the program and out pops the factor to multiply the current BLM or INT value by. There are a couple other formulas running around to do the same thing as well.

David
Old 02-14-2004, 04:38 PM

David,

Sorry, I have some questions. Look above at my last post. I added questions to some of your directions. Once I paste the log file on to the calculator, the calculator changes from the tables similar in tuner cat to an excell sheet. Is this sheet what I want and if so, what am I looking for? What or where do my changes need to be?

Thank You very much!

Raiden
Old 02-14-2004, 04:40 PM

OK, I'm going to assume the stuff with the question marks are where you're getting hung up.

??? Edit the vephddat.csv file for your data's format.
RENAME IT TO XXXXX.csv?

No, This file must keep the vephddat.csv name. It's hard coded into the program to look for it. If you need to copy the original to another location before editing this file.

??? Run VEPHD with your file names.
open new name files XXXX.csv?

Sorry, let me clear this up. Two input files are required to run VEPHD. The first ,vephddat.csv, must keep its name. The second is the file with the logged data. You can name it what ever you want to. The name of this file is the first thing asked when you run the program. be sure to include the extension .csv

Switch over to the VEPHD VE Calculator file. At the bottom select the "VEPHDOUT Template (paste here)" tab. Click on the top left most cell and press "cntl and v" at the same time. ???????

Basically, you want to paste all the tables from VEPHD's output file into this tab's sheet, overwriting everything. From what you said I think you accomplished this.
You really aren't looking for anything in these tables right now. They are read by the formulas elsewhere in the program and update the tables and plots in the other tabs. These tables contain a wealth of information though. Once everything gets working right be sure to look over them.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

And you wonder why it's called VEPhD? It's because you have to have a PhD to use the darn thing!

I could answer some of your questions, but it looks like some other folks are kicking in pretty well in that regard. It'll take some figuring to get used to it...
Old 02-14-2004, 05:15 PM

I laughed my **** off on the "PHD"

OK, so when I run the program,

File to be used for input is vephdin.csv..right,

Then
change the vephdout.csv to my
...... log file i ran in cm software which i put in the vephd directory such as gm020808.csv

correct?

Last edited by Raiden; 02-14-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:37 PM

double...

Last edited by Black 91 Z28; 02-14-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:39 PM

I think you have the right idea.

Heres a basic flow chart for folks...
Attached Thumbnails CM VEPhD program?-flow.jpg  
Old 02-14-2004, 09:21 PM

So when I start the program, I must rename my log file to vephdin? Or do I name the vephd in.csv at the begining of the program to my log file gm020808.csv? then the out i leave alone? I did see the graph one time,,,wooo hoo My question is that at the very beginning of the program, which file do I change? the first one (in) or the second one (out)?

Thank you so much for the help! Almost there!
Old 02-14-2004, 11:14 PM

That right. You can either rename the file or type in the name when the program starts. It doesn't matter. I usually rename the file so I don't have to type it in the program (yes I'm that lazy).
Old 02-15-2004, 12:59 AM

I seem to be missing something here. When I start teh program where do I enter my log file? on the first line where it says file to be used for input right? OR do I enter my log file on the second line on the output? I have done this both ways. When I enter my log file to the input (first line), I then open vephdout and that file looks exaclty the same as it did before Iran the program. BUT, If I reopen the log file (gm020810.csv), it looks as I think it should becasue it changes from my typical log file to something different. But when I check the graph, it looks nothing like the graph you posted. It looks more like a city full of skyscrapers side by side, really blocky? And where do I find the values I need to change my ve tables to?

So here is what is going on;

I have CM's software and i take the log files adn put them in the vephd directory.

I edit the vephddat.csv file for my data's format. Question, I tired to save that file as vephddat.csv with the new info, but it will not run if I save it with the new data with the same name. Do I need to save the new vephddat.csv with my data's format as a different name? I have done this and the program will work....I think.

Run VEPHD with your file names. Question, is that my data run's such as gm020810.csv? If so, I have done this. IF I run them in the input, My file, gm020810.csv stays the same and so does the vephdin.csv file. IF I run my file in the vephdout.csv ( second line by adding gm020810.csv) the program runs. THen, I go and opend up gm010810.csv and that file looks completly different. But the vephdout.csv file still looks the same. SO i have been copying amd pasting the changed gm020810.csv file on to the calculator.

I'm a bit confused on reading the data. Am I supposed to be able to read teh vephdout file and copy/paste that one to the calculator or am I supposed to copy/paste my gm020810.csv (which has changed) to the calculator?

also, Where Do I find the new corrected values of my blms to add to my TC program to correct the chip?

Last edited by Raiden; 02-15-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:03 AM

OK, Now i have renamed my vephddat.csv to test.csv.

I run that file at the beginning of the program. Then, second line, I add my log file as the vephdout. For example, I use test.csv on the first line of the program, I use gm0208080.csv on the second line. When I finish the program, I open my vephdout andit looks exactly the same as it did initally. So then, I open the gm020808.csv file ( the file i used for output). That file also looks exaclty the same as the output,,,no change???

So something interesting happens to the file i put into the second line and leave the first line (vephdin.csv) blank.

Example; 1st line; file to be sued for input; I leave that blank
2nd line; I type in the log file gm020808.csv, then run the program till it ends.

IF I open up hte vephdout file, it still looks the same. BUT, If I open up the gm020808.csv file that I added to line two of the program, I get a format which looks like the vephdout file with many different numbers. However, when I use the undo/redo button, the changes stay the same.

So I'm doing something wrong, what is it?

Also, the program asks for a value to enter for blmdamp (c/r=3)?
enter for intdamp (c/r=3)?
I have leaving it blank. do I need to enter a value here?

Thank You for all of hte help!:hail: :hail:

Last edited by Raiden; 02-15-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:24 PM

vephddat.csv MUST remain named vephddat.csv. If there is not a file by that name then the program should crash.

The first line is where you put the name of your logged data.
In your case this is gm0208080.csv.

The second line is the name of the file you want vephd to output. This file will be created when you run the program.

So something interesting happens to the file i put into the second line and leave the first line (vephdin.csv) blank.

Example; 1st line; file to be sued for input; I leave that blank
2nd line; I type in the log file gm020808.csv, then run the program till it ends.

IF I open up hte vephdout file, it still looks the same. BUT, If I open up the gm020808.csv file that I added to line two of the program, I get a format which looks like the vephdout file with many different numbers. However, when I use the undo/redo button, the changes stay the same.

You are instructing the program to read from vephdin.csv and output to gm020808.csv. vephdout.csv will not change in this case because you have told the program to output to gm020808.csv.

If you are getting tables in gm020808.csv that look like vephdout.csv then the program is running and working. I have no idea why it changes back when you hit undo in excel. Make sure that the file you are outputting to is not open in excel when you run VEPHD because then it will not be able to write to that file.

I'd leave the values alone. Craig would probably be a better source on thier purpose than I.

David
Old 02-16-2004, 12:16 AM

David,

Thank you for all of your help! Now, I did as you told me. I put my log file in the first line (input), left the second (output) blank. Ran the program and I got no results in the output file. So I named it c.csv and still nothing. I have tried to follow your instructins to the T and yet notta. It's gotta be me not doing something? If you or anyone has any idea's, please let me know!

Once again THANK YOU!:hail: :hail: :hail:
Old 02-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!
No offense Craig, but even though you ARE the brain-a-holic, I found VEMaster alot easier to use when tuning VE.

It's Miller time...
Old 02-17-2004, 11:03 AM

VE master? Where do you find that program???
Old 02-17-2004, 01:04 PM

Raiden,

PM me with your Email address and I'll send you some of my files so we can be on the same page.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:32 PM

sorry guys,

I was in the works with craig on that one. I came to him with the idea and provided the spreadsheet and he did the magic with the calculation

the reason why.

We made that before VEmaster was avaiable.

Don't discount its usefulness.. VEphd makes adjustements to the VE tables in a much higher resolution than VEmaster. VEmaster also only tunes driving cells.. so your idle and possibly other areas never get tuned.

We also set VEphd to work on a CSV output from TTS datamaster and to work seamlessly on the DA3 cars.

I still use it and I like it.. I use it from everything to WB WOT tuning on a 2 bar car, to dialing in INT values to BLM's. And seroulsy I find that 2 sessions with VEphd work better than 10 VEmaster sessions (it is a pain in the **** to use though).
Old 02-24-2004, 11:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Doesn't VE master only work with datamaster?
Old 02-24-2004, 11:39 PM

yep

it also make Cell changes instead of smaller MAP vs RPM changes

A simular program to tune MAF cars based on BLM would be cool.. but seeing how i don't own one.. i don't have much reason to make one
Old 02-24-2004, 11:40 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
Originally posted by rooster433
yep

it also make Cell changes instead of smaller MAP vs RPM changes

A simular program to tune MAF cars based on BLM would be cool.. but seeing how i don't own one.. i don't have much reason to make one
soon.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:15 AM

Car: 1980 Jeep CJ7
Engine: AMC 360 with GM TBI
Transmission: TF727 set for kill...let's get it on!!!
Mangus, are you pondering adding this sort of feature to Tuner Pro RT????
I have a copy of VEPhD. Just wondering if it will work with a TBI car. Could I cut a couple of columns out of the MAP and a couple of rows out of the RPM and have it work the same magic with the TBI ECMs? I honestly haven't really tried it yet...only played with it to see what it does.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:19 AM

the same logic will

I have anthor calculator that works with winaldl

just BLM/desired BLM * whats in your VE table.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:30 AM

Car: 1980 Jeep CJ7
Engine: AMC 360 with GM TBI
Transmission: TF727 set for kill...let's get it on!!!
Makes sense, but shouldn't that be inverted?...Desired BLM/current BLM?
Old 02-25-2004, 12:33 AM

nope.. then it wouldn't make sence
Old 02-28-2004, 06:47 AM

When I run the VEPHD program is asks for file to be used for input I type my data log file name gm1.csv

Then is asks filename for output I just leave it and press enter default.

But then it asks for VALUE BLMDAMP. what is this supposed to be? 128?

It also asks for INTDAMP value after that. What should this be set at?

Then how do I used the information outputed to make my BLM's 128 across the board?

Mike
Old 02-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

So is VEPhD doing what it was intended to do? It was intended to do two things:

1) For folks who really know what they're doing, give them versatility and visualization of fuel map corrections based on BLM/INT.

2) For folks that are just getting started, give them an idea of how these things are done, and let them know that human intervention is critical.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:59 PM

Car: 92Z
Engine: 6.6
Transmission: 6
Originally posted by Craig Moates
So is VEPhD doing what it was intended to do? It was intended to do two things:

1) For folks who really know what they're doing, give them versatility and visualization of fuel map corrections based on BLM/INT.

2) For folks that are just getting started, give them an idea of how these things are done, and let them know that human intervention is critical.

Craig, know that your target audience is very appreciative and that I for one advanced my knowlege tremendously using VEPhD. It is truly is superrior.

I think I praised out loud when I saw that you were using the collected BLM/INT data in a truly useful way. Its not all about the "final" blm value when you turn off the key and ppl need to *SEE* that.

I put about 15 hours into the basic sheet and it sings and dances for me. I've taylored it for my '730, added filters and smoothing, and the ability to read and write the binaries directly. Backing-in the calculated values to a set of "valid" decimals was a pain based on me using the 0-100 VE values rather than the 0-255's but it was easy enough.. that one got me stuck for about 10 mins

Thanks for that AND ecm852. fast, free, dead-on-*****-accurate.

PS... anyone who wants to subject their "tune" to a real test of mettle...stop hacking and waxing and DRIVE IT HARD!! join us here:

http://www.fbody-event.org

This MAY!!! I have $200 for any "non-VEPhD" tuner who can pass me.. no, make that 'keep up with me' :P

Last edited by 92Z-666; 03-25-2005 at 08:18 PM.