DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Learned IAC counts

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Devastating Droptop
Engine: 355 Supercharged
Transmission: Auto 4L60, Built for 700hp
Learned IAC counts

I've been working this IAC stuff and noticed that My Learned IAC couts are at 41 even though it only takes 27 counts to Idle.

If I start the car the idle comes down to 41 counts verry quickly but then takes its time to idle down to my set idle of 750rpm witch takes only 27 counts.

Is the learned IAC actually learned or is it a setting in the chip.?

TunerCat 8D SD
Old 12-22-2002, 09:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: Learned IAC counts

Originally posted by LBSZ28BLOWN
I've been working this IAC stuff and noticed that My Learned IAC couts are at 41 even though it only takes 27 counts to Idle.

If I start the car the idle comes down to 41 counts verry quickly but then takes its time to idle down to my set idle of 750rpm witch takes only 27 counts.

Is the learned IAC actually learned or is it a setting in the chip.?

TunerCat 8D SD

SettingS
Max park,
all kinds of hot park openings on hot restart.
idle speeds.
decays
Filtering rates.

There are no learned IACs steps. as I recall.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Like I've said before, IAC's are a PITA. The best way around the issue (if you need to keep it) is to lower no just the "desired idle speeds" but also the max hot idle and max cold idle thresholds. These are ignored until the car has been running for a bit so don't think that making both at 800 will have a cold start 800rpm idle! Anyways, just lower the tables like "IAC steps vs coolant". There is some sort of table. I just lower everything above 44c to 10 counts and then it's scalled depending on how cold the temp is. Max I believe is only 40.
I hate the super high idles in GM calibrations and even more so I hate it that it's on a v8!! Putting an auto into drive even after a minute of warming up still used to jerk the car and tweak the frame (enough to make sounds, you know what I'm talking about). Ford doesn't do this and neither do most of the car models I've seen. They usually have the high idle for a max around 30 seconds and it comes down to normal speed or very close to it.
I also see the IAC as a vacuum leak and we all know those aren't fun so why make it bigger with more counts in the table then are necessary?!?!?!
No learned counts, that's something GM didn't feel necessary. I tend to agree, just wish they weren't so ambitious with those tables.