DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

How do you tune in open loop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you tune in open loop?

What tables does the ecm use in open loop mode. In Tunercat what all can I mess with to adjust my open loop idle at startup. If I change my VE tables will it make a difference or are they only ued in closed loop?
Old 12-15-2002, 05:46 PM
Supreme Member

ve values are used in both closed/open loop in most forms of code. foir cold idle there usually a a/f ratio vs coolant temp table. adjusting the ve tables if there not 14.7 with blm int of 128 at normal operating tempature could fix it. otherwise id look at the temp a/f ratio table.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:08 PM

So I should first start with the VE table? In the "Open Loop Change to Fuel/Air Ratio Vs. Coolant Temp." if I make a 1% change is it 1% leaner or richer? Also,what about the "Open Loop Change to Fuel/Air Ratio Vs. MAP." I just would like to get some input on what to mess with first so I am not trying to correct problems in one table when I should be adjusting another. Car seems rich at startup idle then levels out after it goes into closed loop.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

car should be rich when in cold idle. if you have zero correctio blm int of 128

"Open Loop Change to Fuel/Air Ratio Vs. Coolant Temp
Open Loop Change to Fuel/Air Ratio Vs. MAP."these 2 tables will need adjusting. does it idle well if so id sugest leaving it alone unless its pouring raw fuel vapor out the tailpipe. vs map will be above idle and vs coolant temp will affect idle more. both will have an effect on overall fueling when cold.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:17 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by justme
So I should first start with the VE table? In the "Open Loop Change to Fuel/Air Ratio Vs. Coolant Temp." if I make a 1% change is it 1% leaner or richer? Also,what about the "Open Loop Change to Fuel/Air Ratio Vs. MAP." I just would like to get some input on what to mess with first so I am not trying to correct problems in one table when I should be adjusting another. Car seems rich at startup idle then levels out after it goes into closed loop.
I was having a hard time getting mine to idle without stall/hesitate etc. when cold. I went all over the place on the a/f vs coolant temp and still didn't solve it.
Then I got a wide band......and then made short work of it! It does take some time as each time it warms up you've got to let it cool again to readjust; but well worth it. I ended up just adjusting the open loop f/a vs coolant temp-seemed like the vs load was fine after first adjusting vs temp where I wanted it.
Blm's were 128+/- before adjusting-had to do minor adjustimng at idle only to get the blms back again after open loop adjustment.
I just don't know what I did before the wide band....
Old 12-18-2002, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by drive it
I just don't know what I did before the wide band.
You wasted alot of time effort and gas. <G>
Old 12-21-2002, 08:16 AM

Which WB do you use?