DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

whats a good place to start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
whats a good place to start?

The novilty of having an engine in my car that actually runs is starting to wear off fast and id like to start modding the engine but i know absolutly NOTHING about prom burning. Are there any good books or things like that that give a general overview of prom burning and tuning the ecm? Im not expecting to learn overnight but id like something to use as a starting point.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: whats a good place to start?

Originally posted by dimented24x7
The novilty of having an engine in my car that actually runs is starting to wear off fast and id like to start modding the engine but i know absolutly NOTHING about prom burning. Are there any good books or things like that that give a general overview of prom burning and tuning the ecm? Im not expecting to learn overnight but id like something to use as a starting point.
Read the archives here, I've tried to put together some titles using the Final Answer to help.

The archives at the GMECM, and DIY-EFI are pretty good too.

From WWW.TUNERCAT.COM there is a link to the ecmguy's site, again intersting.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:51 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Have you read the VERY FIRST POST (Dirk's announcement) and traced it's links? If you follow it, it will take you to Tim's article which will give you all the introductory info you need PLUS all the links to other articles like Grumpy is suggesting.

Also, reading old posts (set your display to ALL and read the very first post) and you'll quickly see all the "newbie questions" and a lot more. Better than any book you can find.

Yeah, you might not learn it "overnight", but it will come a lot quicker than you think.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
thanks for the replies. I was looking at the article a little earlier and it looks pretty interesting. I guess ill start small and learn to fine tune the ecm with my more forgiving stock motor before i do any mods.