DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

got laptop, ? next

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got laptop, ? next

I've read post 1&2...1 for the past 6 months and am going to trust that i can do this. I got the laptop and am ready for the next step....but do i need the programmer if i'm using a laptop? I think my info is include in my sig but here it is for redundancy;
'87 IROC (305 gone) same ecm, same TPI wiring..etc
350HO330 Crate engine
Ported maf & plenum...almost polished
ScogginDickey TPI Vortec baseplate

help me burn....(please) a list of what i need would be greatly appreciated. I only have a masters degree. So, short simple, to the point will be extremely appreciated....And Thanks in advance

I know the list is on the 2 pages but i can't make heads or tails of which stuff i need or don't need due to having a laptop...if this makes sense.

Stan
Therapys@aol.com
Old 08-06-2002, 07:04 PM

Car: 78 Regal
Engine: 82 FBod LG4 305, 730 ECM
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: 4.10
You have a masters and you can't figure out what you need from the intro article to burn your own proms and you've been reading it for six months? How much did you pay for that degree? Just teasing you but it's quite simple.

The laptop has nothing to do with prom burning but is required to run a PC scanner. If you had a regular automotive type scanner, you wouldn't need a laptop. So that being said you need a scanner and since this is not a referral service (as it says at the board footer), you have to pick one for yourself. A scanner tells you what the ecm data is that's coming from the ALDL. You'll need a cable to hook up between the ALDL and laptop.

You need a PROM programmer and proms, and depending on what type of prom's you get, you might need an eraser.

You need an editor so that you can make changes to the calibration.

There are several other little goodies that make prom burning and tuning easier, but aren't absolutely necessary. Those you'll have to figure out if you want to get into. Simple enough.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Re: got laptop, ? next

Originally posted by 87IROC350HO
. I got the laptop and am ready for the next step....but do i need the programmer if i'm using a laptop?
Yes you need a "burner" (programmer) for the type of ECM/Memcal used by your car. Only the newer PCMs used on the newer 4th Gens can be "flashed" directly from the computer via a cable.

For your system you need the following:

A Bin Editor. This edits the "bin" which contains the actual programming for the ECM. I use TunerCat. WinBin is available and free, but I found it a bit cumbersome to use, hence my decision to use TunerCat. I find TunerCat is very helpful and constantly upgrading their products. With WinBin, you are at the mercy of someone to "add new constants/table" if you don't do them yourself.

A Scan Tool. This allows you to monitor what the sensors are seeing while the engine is running. Preferrably the scan tool should be able to capture the data while your driving IMO. I use Diacom but I purchased it YEARS ago. Craig Moates has a scan tool available for "donations" and you only have to make/buy a cable. Do a search on Craig Moates (check out his sticky) and visit his website for more information.

A programmer/burner. I use the Pocket Programmer. But there are others. I find the PP very reliable and Xtronics (the manufacturer) has excellent product support.

If you don't use a Flash Prom (like the AT29C256), you will need a UV Eraser. Do a search on "Flash Prom" or "29C256" and you will find a ton of info on why a Flash Prom (AT29C256) is the ONLY way to go.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:52 AM

Thanks for responding "Hector & Glen"
Your guidance and support is and WILL be greatly appreciated. Plan on my posts, as i have to plan on your support.:hail:

The following is the condensed version of what I think I need and have elected to purchase these name brand items due to convenience and applicability as related to "Your Knowledge":

1) Pocket Programmer (xtronics); To read proms.

2) Programming Software (Tuner Cat); To read numerical data

3) EEPROMS; Hardware chip to store data variables

4) Zif to Ecm adapter; To connect eeprom to memcal

5) AKM Cable; To connect laptop to ALDL

6) Craig Moates Scan Tool: To read various engine sensors and electrical output (data) so i can make informed and educated decisions about changes in observed numerical data tables and parameters

Stan
Old 08-07-2002, 09:59 AM

Hector....Before 12-24-01, changing oil and spark plugs was the most i had ever done to a vehichle. I'm 45...don't laugh. I never had the mind to tackle anything mechanical, nor the patience. Since Dec; I've installed everything, engine, tpi, converter, tranny... and modified, ported and polished my throttle body and plenum. It took me 13 years to get my license as a clinical social worker which was in Nov. I needed a new challenge. And seein' how i lost my memory in "The War on Drugs" i needed a new hobby after 17 years of total abstinence.:lala: Thanks again for your post...many times over

Stan
Old 08-07-2002, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: The famous 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea
Stan:

You arrived at the right place.

At front you have a challenge with a lot of time consumption and memory exercise.

At this forum you'll receive a lot of help from the others guys.

Regards,

Denis V.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:15 PM

Did i read somewhere that i'll need to add to my list the purchase of a "definition file?" I don't seem to be able to find it again.

Stan
Old 08-08-2002, 05:42 PM

Go to "Announcement" at top of this forum, or:

At home page (www.thirdgen.org),

Click at "Technical Articles".

Title: "ELECTRICAL",

Then, subtitle # 6: "Programming Proms ....." by Traxion.

(is the same).

Denis
Old 08-09-2002, 09:21 AM

I've re-read this thing 3 times and still can't find anything about purchasing "definition files"...Jeez....this is really frustrating

Stan
Old 08-09-2002, 09:34 AM

More easy: www.tunercat.com
Old 08-09-2002, 10:30 AM

I read everything i could find at "tunercat" and wasn't able to find anything about whether or not i needed to purchase a definition file. I did see that they apparently sell a program to create definition files or does this come with the programmer? Will i need to purchase all of those programs? as well as all of the $400, $89, $150 ... adapters? This would run at least $1000.00 over $200 stated in the "sticky" post. Is this a scam to get people to purchase the programmer then hit them with the cost of all the other programs needed to program? Or, am i retarded

Stan

It looks like I'm goina need a PhD to figure this out. I'm not willing to spend thousands of dollars to burn eeproms.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:04 PM

No,

Only the Tuner ($70) + 1 Definition file ($20) = Software

Laptop + ALDL cable = Diagnose equipment.

Prom Programmer + spare EPROM + prom eraser or
Prom Programmer + FLAH PROM = prom burning equipment (aprox. from $100 to $150).
Old 08-09-2002, 01:12 PM

Thanks Denis; I sure am glad you're here. Does it mean that you've adopted me? Where do I purchase the definition file?

Stan
Old 08-09-2002, 01:16 PM

Is the "Tuner" the programmer? Is it part of the programmer? I'm getting more confused by the minute. I should have went for the Phd....The masters degree just isn't enough:lala:

Stan
Old 08-09-2002, 01:19 PM

This is how i feel:lala:, all the while thinking Then i'm humbled :hail: acknowledgeing This is not my claim to fame which leave me behaving like:lala: Thank *** it's Friday
Old 08-10-2002, 02:17 PM

"Tuner" is the programming software and you'll need the proper "def" file for whatever ECM you have. For example; if you have a 90-92 tpi camaro or firebird, you have a 730 ecm and you need the $8D definition file.

Also, if you buy Craig Moates zif adapter your life will be much easier.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:52 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 385ci LT1 cnc ported heads big cam
Transmission: 4L60E automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Zexel posi 7.5" rear
1. You use the Xtronics programmer with the software that comes with it to DUMP the contents of the chip into a .BIN file.

2. You use the Tunercat with the appropriate definition file that you purchase from them to EDIT this .BIN file.

3. You then use the Xtronics program again to write the edited .BIN file back to the chip.

That is the nuts and bolts of chip burning. You will then need to research the editing part to make intelligent decisions on what mods to make on the chip.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:47 PM

Excellent..brharris and IROCZ88. I need to save these articles and referrence them daily to get it into the melon. Base knowledge is a must.

SBB