DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Open loop idle question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Bee-Bowdy
Engine: blowd tree-fity
Transmission: sebin hunnerd
Axle/Gears: fo-tins
Open loop idle question...

Does the O2 mV always go to .900 in open loop idle? Or should it still swing around like it does at a cruise?

TIA
Old 07-06-2002, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

got a leaky cold start injector ?????? i would say yr a bit rich at idle. try checking the 02 sensor. the other battle could be that you have a unheated o2 sensor and that unburnt gas is colleting in the sensor tip. i would suggest running a 4 wire. a bosch 12375 works pretty good. ( i think thats the part # ) look up a sensor for an 92 chrysler turbo car. these sensors seem to fit well in everything. oohh and the voltage scale is the same as the bosch one wire. 0.1 lean 0.5 stioch 0.9 rich. good luck hope this helps. if you need more info on the sensor goto

www.thedodgegarage.com

the info forthe heated 4 wire sensor is in there.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:56 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Re: Open loop idle question...

Originally posted by V8Astro Captain
Does the O2 mV always go to .900 in open loop idle? Or should it still swing around like it does at a cruise?

TIA
Why are you going into Open Loop idle? Once you are in Closed Loop, you shouldn't be going back to open loop except in certain circumstances like pro-longed idle/deceleration
Old 07-07-2002, 03:37 AM
Supreme Member

I have it set to an open loop idle. It idles soo much much smoother when I do it this way. No matter how much stuff I try messing with I still get a "burp" every so often when it's in closed loop idle. Especially when it sits at idle too long. It'll "burp" and oscillate and set the stall saver off. I'm using a heated O2 sensor. All the BLM's at idle are 128 (in closed loop) and the SA table has been flattened in the idle cells. I have the IAC adjusted for 7 counts at 650 rpm.

Using the open loop idle you can't even tell it's running.

Last edited by V8Astro Captain; 07-07-2002 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:08 AM
Supreme Member

well it seems pretty obvious yr engine likes to idle rich. most engines due. have you tried bumping the timing at idle and scalling back some feul ??? then try running closed loop idle.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

I'm open to new ideas. I'll give that a try.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:09 PM

Car: 78 Regal
Engine: 82 FBod LG4 305, 730 ECM
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: 4.10
OK, you're confusing me here. You say that no matter what you do it burps and what not. Then you say you are open to new ideas like bringing the timing up at idle? That's a new idea? What about all the times Grumpy has said it. Hell he even posted a bin of his and went into some pretty good detail why it was the way it was when you called it "whacky". Then there is the post on the TBI board that RBob responded to about the sync/async problems. Did you ever try anything with that? I'm sorry, but either you aren't listening to what people are telling you or you just don't get it. Every time someone says they are running a healthy cam on this board they always get the same advice: lots of timing at idle, try running a bit higher idle speed, not much VE down low. Ever heard Grumpy say "self EGR"? Come on, tell me you're listening. The same thing that applies to tuning a carb applies to tuning EFI and people have been doing it forever and giving the same advice forever.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

Uh ok. What the f*ck did I say to insult you. I was just trying to convey the idea that I was grateful for his advice. I know that I can play with the fuel and timing all I want. Maybe I didn't advance it far enuf. The pros around here are always saying sometimes you need to "rethink" you tuning strategy.

As for the advice I got from RBob that was for a ANOTHER CAR all together. The cam I run is 196/206 and your telling me that that needs alot of timing? And the timing table Grumpy posted was just surprising that's all. I wasn't criticizing it AT ALL be calling it wacky, but just like Grumpy said, sometimes the table that works the best isn't what you'd expect it to look like.

The people on this board are becoming increasingly hostile all the time. If you feel different then go look at all the locked posts lately.

To hell with it. All I really wanted to know was if the O2 mV always goes to .900 at open loop idle and I get my *** reemed by some guy over the f*cking internet. So if you had a bad day or something then go talk down to someone face to face...I know it's not as gratifying but at least it's not a chickensh*t thing to do.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:40 PM

Car: 78 Regal
Engine: 82 FBod LG4 305, 730 ECM
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: 4.10
I will answer the O2 question asked originally. If the ecm is in open loop it won't care what the O2 is doing and won't try to adjust it so it can swing back and forth accross stoich. The O2 is just trying to read what it "thinks" is the A/F ratio and thus you get 900mv. And I hate to even attempt to suggest the fact that a little research would have you arrive at the same conclusion. To conclude, you didn't insult me and my reply wasn't to insult you, nor is this one. And I wasn't hostile and I was able to carry it out without any profanity or other scornful prose. Replies like yours is why threads get locked. Oh, and yes, let me apologize for confusing the two engines you have been working on tuning. That was my mistake.