DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

upgrading ecm hardware ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading ecm hardware ?

is anyone here savy enough to say if there is a way to upgrade the hardware in the ecm

example> adding a faster proccesor ?? more ram ??? i know there are bigger eproms out there.

it would seem like the next logical step in evolution. you guys have work out the soruce code on once ecu. now its time to make the ecu better and take advantage of yr code. i geuss in short what im saying is why not make the ecu better than it is you don;t mind improving the code.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: upgrading ecm hardware ?

Originally posted by funstick
is anyone here savy enough to say if there is a way to upgrade the hardware in the ecm

example> adding a faster proccesor ?? more ram ??? i know there are bigger eproms out there.

it would seem like the next logical step in evolution. you guys have work out the soruce code on once ecu. now its time to make the ecu better and take advantage of yr code. i geuss in short what im saying is why not make the ecu better than it is you don;t mind improving the code.
The ecm already has time to whistle a short song before needing to do the next calculation. At 6K each rpm is 10 msec, and in processing time, that's alot.

The trick with code modifing is more about what you can yank out, to open up room.

This ain't Windows LOL
Old 06-20-2002, 08:39 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Also, a lot of the ECM is proprietory by GM and not "standard" Motorolla. Yes, extra RAM would be nice but the time and effort to figure that all out would be better spent on figuring out how to make the 8051 work with an HEI Distrbutor in my opinion.

It is similar to trying to "upgrade" an old Apple II to become a Pentium 4. A lot of work to something that probably has a lot of problems (bus architecture etc) and ultimately EVEN if it did, would probably be highly unstable.

I sure would hate for my ECM to "freeze" just as I was half way around passing a big rig with a car coming at me.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Glenn91L98GTA
Also, a lot of the ECM is proprietory by GM and not "standard" Motorolla. Yes, extra RAM would be nice but the time and effort to figure that all out would be better spent on figuring out how to make the 8051 work with an HEI Distrbutor in my opinion.

I sure would hate for my ECM to "freeze" just as I was half way around passing a big rig with a car coming at me.
The later 730s, and with a different part number that I forget, have extra RAM on them that is accessible from the ALDL. You can also add the chip if youre good at SMT coldering.

There are some rumors that the 8051 will run with just a low resolution input. Batch fire, since you lose the synch with out being able to count the high resolution slot count.

Freeze is exactly why it ain't windows based....

Scarey thing is all the latest Nuke Subs use windows based programming.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Grumpy
Freeze is exactly why it ain't windows based....

Scarey thing is all the latest Nuke Subs use windows based programming.
Heard about the latest? Theres some manufacturers using windows based stuff for various tasks in cars... just a matter of time and we're all doomed.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:47 AM

On the upgrade note. I don't think the computer in my car needs more ram but a faster baud rate to scan with would be nice.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by BillD91RS
On the upgrade note. I don't think the computer in my car needs more ram but a faster baud rate to scan with would be nice.
You need to investigate scanners that don't use the ALDL. You can get 15 frames a sec., using other stuff. Just sometimes have to be resourcefull and clever.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

just a thought thanx for the input. still new to this programming thing. if you need a carberator fix look me up !!