DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

maf

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 09:59 PM
kvu
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maf

Different injectors function differently at different voltages, so the intial biasing may be wrong. The different characteristics of the opening and closing times of the injectors is taken care of in the volatge table.
1 What voltage table would that be(for inj bias),Grumpy?I have started my bin from scratch.You have told me for a year not to touch the maf tables.So I want to see if I have it right now.The injector constant is to get it all close,before and after the f/p change. I will use the batt correction table for the lean idle.Use fuel pressure for light throttle/cruise tuning.Transitional inrichment would be the ae tables,for lean bogs and such. Then for wot use the pe % change f/a vs rpm.2 This would be the correct way to tune a maf system,Grumpy?
Old 06-14-2002, 11:56 PM

kvu, thats kinda what I get out of it also. I have been working with batt voltage, and injector constant,and have gotten my idle pretty good although I must admit to messing a little with the maf tables,but just at idle , but I have been making duplicate copies of my bins, so I can go back to stock maf anytime. What base timing do you run??? I have been trying to get mine to idle decent around 7-8d, but its still to lean for that much initial.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: maf

Originally posted by kvu

1 What voltage table would that be(for inj bias),Grumpy?I have started my bin from scratch.You have told me for a year not to touch the maf tables.So I want to see if I have it right now.The injector constant is to get it all close,before and after the f/p change. I will use the batt correction table for the lean idle.Use fuel pressure for light throttle/cruise tuning.Transitional inrichment would be the ae tables,for lean bogs and such. Then for wot use the pe % change f/a vs rpm.2 This would be the correct way to tune a maf system,Grumpy?
Bingo, and our winner today is
drum roll please,
KVU

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:53 AM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by goneracin
I have been trying to get mine to idle decent around 7-8d, but its still to lean for that much initial.
Set your intial with the timing light at about 8d.
Then depending on cam, CR, etc, you'll want 22-30d of timing at idle. The high numbers are only if your running alot of overlap and dong alot of self EGR'ing. And depending on converter, you might not want to labor the engine at idle, so then also use the lower numbers.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:53 AM
kvu
Banned

What base timing do you run??? I have been trying to get mine to idle decent around 7-8d, but its still to lean for that much initial.
My initial is set at 8d.

drum roll please,
KVU

Ya know it took me a year to understand the reason to do it that way.It's just that I know how to get 128/128 using the maf tables.But now I know better,maf tables is not a tuning table.Here is a bad example...I want my fans to turn on at 200f.So I change the conversion table(vdc to coolant temp) so now my scan tool reads that the fan kicks on at 200f.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Different injectors function differently at different voltages, so the intial biasing may be wrong. The different characteristics of the opening and closing times of the injectors is taken care of in the volatge table.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 What voltage table would that be(for inj bias),Grumpy?

???
Old 06-15-2002, 10:55 AM

Car: '88 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-5... in need of slight rebuild
OK, what bin editor software are you guys using. I am using GMEPRO and can't find anything resembling injector constant vs battery voltage.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 SVO
Engine: Volvo headed 2.3T
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 8.8" 3.73
I believe Grumpy's referring to the battery correction table.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:45 AM

Car: '88 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-5... in need of slight rebuild
Still don't see anything referrring to the battery in GMEPRO!
What editor are you using?
Old 06-16-2002, 12:14 PM

Slow ta, I know that winbin has a pulse width vs batt voltage table in it. That is what I a using.
Bob
Old 06-17-2002, 12:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Miniram'd 383, 24X LS1 PCM
Transmission: TH700R4, 4200 stall
Axle/Gears: 9", 4.33:1
Originally posted by kvu
Here is a bad example...I want my fans to turn on at 200f.So I change the conversion table(vdc to coolant temp) so now my scan tool reads that the fan kicks on at 200f.
Very nice example of why not to mess with MAF tables..... or the MAF sensor itself, for that matter .
Old 06-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Supreme Member

Why is 8° of base timing being recommended over 6°? Especially from people burning proms?
Old 06-17-2002, 04:57 PM
kvu
Banned

The injector constant is to get it all close,before and after the f/p change. I will use the batt correction table for the lean idle.Use fuel pressure for light throttle/cruise tuning.Transitional inrichment would be the ae tables,for lean bogs and such. Then for wot use the pe % change f/a vs rpm.

There it is,maf tuning 101.It took a year to gather/how to use all that information.But now you newbees searching the board can have a place to start.Doing searches on each sentence will open the world of tuning.If you are new to prom burning for maf,there is other things like cold starting,but these are the golden rules.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:21 PM
kvu
Banned

drum roll please,
KVU

It's kind of funny,I seen star wars the other day.It's the perfect analogy.Anakin has this "questioning of athority" aditude the whole movie.I believe its because he can't understand the reason to do things a certain way.He is smart and creative thus finding quicker ways to do things(w/o knowing the long term effects).But Anakin lacks discipline and restraint.With discipline comes wisdom and reason.Over time he could have learn the reason for things.Now his engine is blown,
Old 06-17-2002, 05:46 PM
Supreme Member

May the 4th be with you.