DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

More tuning Notes- Final Answers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 08:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
More tuning Notes- Final Answers

IAC, and throttle follower functions.
As you crack open the throttle the IAC opens up some. Then as you close the throttle the IAC counts decay downward. The IAC also acts as the air controller for the choke function.
Depending on the calibration code your running you might find some novel stuff, like in the 747 there is the park posistion count, and then a max value for the throttle follower. If you limit the throttle follower, you can deny some ecm contol over the engine. But use due care. The rate of the opening and max poening may have a min to major effect on the AE.
Sadly on like the 148 all they have is a max IAC opening, and park. So the max setting effects both the choke and throttle follower.

Then in working on my source code, I found out there was a hard coded TCC disenage set at 124 MPH. In the stock code the VSS limit is 125. Just makes sense to unlock the TCC before turning the engine off. One more reason to figure out the source code, in a case like this the only way to adjust the TCC unlock is in the source code.

Just think about the 1st example and then if you had the source code to fix it...........
Old 05-05-2002, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
would it be completely unwise to eliminate throttle follower alltogether? and just use the iac for high idle at startup? I cant really think of a reason for it, my carb doesnt have any sort of throttle follower and its a million times smoother during part throttle driving . I never could figure out the IAC to where the car wasnt a bitch to drive at low speeds especially since its a stick it bucks and whatnot at the slightest throttle tip in
Old 05-05-2002, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by Pablo
would it be completely unwise to eliminate throttle follower alltogether? and just use the iac for high idle at startup? I cant really think of a reason for it, my carb doesnt have any sort of throttle follower and its a million times smoother during part throttle driving . I never could figure out the IAC to where the car wasnt a bitch to drive at low speeds especially since its a stick it bucks and whatnot at the slightest throttle tip in
Hate to tell ya but you carb has it's own mechanical version of TF in it. The idle channel jets, and channel restrictions do what the IAC does in EFI. this is especially noticeable in carbs with idle air bypasses.

You had some serious problems if you carb out does your EFI calibration, and I doubt totally disabling the TF would be a proper cure.

It's far better to figure something out, and get it to work for you then just eliminate it.