DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

ALDL port wiring differences '88 to '91

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALDL port wiring differences '88 to '91

I have a couple questions, First:

After my engine swap from a '88 TBI 305 to a '91 SD TPI 350 The ALDL port does not seem to be giving me any codes. The SES light came on the other day when I was driving home but I can't seem to retrieve the codes. I took a paperclip and put it between the A and B connnectors and nothing. Is there any wiring diffences between the 2 ALDL ports that would cause this.

Second:
Is there any difference between the 2 ports in regard to connecting diagnostic software to a laptop computer?

I also put this in the Electronics board but I thought I would try it here also because you guys seem to know the diagnostic software in and out. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Jim
Old 04-21-2002, 03:54 PM

As far as I know it is the same, but I could be wrong, I did scan an 87 tpi car and used the same cable. The only change to the ALDL plug came when they went OBDII.

Hopefully one of the other guys will come in here and tell you what to look for to fix it.

After doing a search on ALDL it looks like there may be a difference.

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...highlight=ALDL

http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/a...htm#connectors

Looks like some use E and some use M

Last edited by Z_Ghost; 04-22-2002 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:11 AM

Ok, Thanks for the reply. What if when I ordered the software, I think I'm going with datamaster. If they have different choises in cables should I get the one for the TBI car? That way it will line up all the pins on the connector, I just have to make sure that the wires coming form the ecm are in the same spot. Does that make sense?
Old 04-22-2002, 02:25 PM

The pins will be in the same spot, they just use different out puts for data. You still should be able to short A & B and get the SES light to flash codes. When you did this the other day did the fans come on?
Old 04-22-2002, 05:25 PM

Are you refering to the engine fans? I have them wired to a manual switch and have taken control of them away from the computer. I ordered the datamaster program today and found out that they use the 'L' pin for the 8192 pin. It turns out mine is in the 'M' spot but no matter I will just move it. The other possiblity was in the 'E' pin but that was for another year. I still can't get the SES light to flash. I'll have time tommarow to trace the wires and see what I can find out.

In case you were curious the SES light came on after an electrical short at the fan. After that it takes about 3 tries to start and the SES light is on constantly after that.

Now that I got software port figured out this is no longer the board for this anymore I guess. I'll see If I can get some more answers on the electronics board. But feel free to post if you have some ideas. Thanks Z.

Jim