DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

DFI ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 10:49 PM
IROC&ROLL

DFI ?s

This is my 1st post on this site. I've been lurking for a few weeks reading up on many of the past threads. I've got a lot of questions and I might as well start in this forum.

But 1st, let me introduce myself/car. I'm a 48 yr old former electrician/electronic technician, lifelong GM fanatic and hot rodder, and a 3rd gen lover. I've done all facets (at least all I can think of) of auto mechanicing. I have basically worked on everything beween the bumpers of a car. I LOVE electronic fuel injection. Only the cost of machinery keeps me from doing all my own work (I can't afford a $5000 alignment rack to align my wheels a couple of times a year).

About 8 1/2 years ago I parked my '87 IROC so I could repair a galled valve guide, rebuild my oversped Paxton SC, and paint it. The factory paint was alomst perfect except for a couple of buffer burns in the hood but I wanted it perfect, so I elected to paint it with laquer so I could easily touch up any nicks, etc. The car was a daily driver, Friday night 1/4 miler, and a weekend showcar. It won 1st place in the street class at the Super Chevy Sunday Show at Texas Motorplex in '90 & '91 and runner up in '92. I took the motor out and pretty much stripped the whole car down to a rolling chassis so all the pieces could be painted individually. 3 weeks after dismantling the car I had the motor ready to go back in and the car ready to clear coat, then I lost my job. Everybody was downsizing and noone hiring, so I started my own business. As most small businessmen find out... it's usaully a 24/7 job, at least for a time when you are trying to get established. After 7 years of all work and no play I decided to chuck the business and go to college. I need another car right now and miss my IROC so I decided to restore it and kill 2 birds with one stone. I started about 2 months ago and boy it is a major job, especially due to over 8 years of neglect and being dismantled. Every open hole is filled with mud dobbers and everything that wasn't painted (and a lot of stuff that was) is rusted, corroded, or just downright dirty.

OK, now for some on-topic stuff... namely DFI. I equipped my car with a DFI Infinity. I bought it straight from DFI the 1st day they started selling them, long before they sold to Accel. After Accel bought DFI the name was changed to Accel Power Processor. This is not a GM ECM replacement, it is an add-on, it plugs into the facory ECM harness then connects to the factory ECM via another cable. It handles open-loop fuel and spark, and fan turn-on (and maybe a few other things). The facotry ECM handles closed-loop operation and everything else.

The reason I went this route was because custom prom programming was very expensive, at least 3 times what I paid for the Infinity, and I liked the idea of being able to reprogram on the fly. I had already been hacking on my factory ECM after comparing my stock prom and some aftermarket proms, and some help from the Meany (sic) brothers (DFI founders).

What are the DFI units that are being discussed in this forum, replacements or add-ons like mine? I've looked a little bit and don't find Power Processors for sale.

Will current cal-map s/w work with my Infinity? I doubt I will be able to find a working version of my old s/w as that laptop cratered and most old disks have been lost, destroyed, or thrown out.

Where can I get a current version of cal-map, I don't need the cable, etc.?

What all can be done with the new DFI's?

Thanks in advance... this is a great site!
Old 08-18-2001, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi IROC&ROLL,
Your DFI power programer will use DFI 5.0, 6.0 or 6.32 Cakmap software. e-mail me off forum and I may have an Accel 6.0 calmap disk I can send you. It is what Accel sent me. I won't sell it but you are welcome to use it to see if it will get your unit working. I understand that fuel maps can be transferred. My power programer is a model 74350C. All the newer units are replacements and cover just about all functions of the OEM ECM. There is a newer model about to be released with an option for wideband O2 sensor that tunes to AFR on the fly.

Let me know if this will be any help to you.
Good Luck
HLV
t2k
Old 08-19-2001, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accel has a new software...its 7.0...its supposed to be great. Dont use the old stuff!!!