DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

EFI live v4 on ALDL not recieving properly

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI live v4 on ALDL not recieving properly

I picked up an old laptop, bought an ALDL to USB cable, and EFI live V4 to try and read some data streams on my 1987 IROC. 5.7 TPI auto. 165 ECM The computer is bone stock and the engine is stock. I've spent nearly a week trying to get EFI live to work. I've adjusted about everything in the timing setup, tried the jumper on the cable in multiple positions. I wind up with

Error: Reply frame checksum failure
and / or
Com timeout: Data frame truncated:

I have copies of what the macro was doing at the time, if anyone needs more data. Ive tried with and without Max232. With and without chatter. Its running 8192 baud. On com 4 with the drivers for the ALDL cable. Car is running fine, no CEL or anything. But i can never get the dashboard or the graphs to read anything. Its not staying up long enough

What am i not setting properly?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:25 AM

Re: EFI live v4 on ALDL not recieving properly

ok - i gave up and installed tunerpro. could not get it to connect either. Finally used
aryap and $6e. on 160 baud with the jumper on 10k on cable. And tuner pro started running! Soooo, 2 questions!
1/ How do i get tuner pro to open up the display windows/graphs/dashboard? I've tried changing cascade, tiling, you name it. They all hunch up at the bottom of the display so i cannot read anything. Not exactly what you want going down the road.
2/ the car runs REALLY crappy with the jumper in place. The CEL is flashing and the idle is hunting and the fan is on. Am I gonna be able to DRIVE it this way?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Honestly, that doesn't sound too good. Your cable sounds like it is the main source of your problem. I have moates cable and it runs at 8192 baud and doesn't seem to cause anything unusual to be going on while I'm driving the car. I haven't used my cable in a few years, but I'm fixing to go out and do so right now.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

I'm not sure EFI Live is finished for OBDI but have read it is going to be. But then need another cable... which I've never seen?

$6E needs 10K to start data flowing then remove.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Hi EM - thanks - well, EFILive V4 was SOLD to me as working on OBD1 - specifically for TPI camaro/corvette, etc. I actually downloaded a free version of tunerpro - and THAT works. It just doesn't have nearly the options that EFILive is supposed to have. Quite frankly, at this point, i'd buy whatever, just so i can get this running. I've got a couple of weird conditions on this car that i'd like to see what the engine is doing when its happening. That means the ability to look at LIVE data while running down the road. I'm specifically looking for lean/rich conditions, knock sensor, etc. Should i set the speed on the program at 8192, and then JUST use the jumper to start it? Is that what the trick is with the 160 baud deal? Right now i have everything on EFILive set to the 160baud, just to try and make it run. But the macro times out so fast, I doubt i could change the jumper that quick.....